2019 Ford Ranger - 5 Misses

2019 Ford Ranger - 5 Misses

2019_Ranger_009.jpg

Earlier this week we published a list of what we here at SVTP consider to be 5 of the best features of the upcoming 2019 Ford Ranger. However, with the good comes the bad. While this is purely an opinion piece, we believe this list tracks right to the heart of former Ranger owners. Traditionally, Ranger buyers seemed to like their trucks more 'trucky' than most other truck buyers. So it stands to reason our list is made up of those burlier features that make a small truck more capable and engaging. Without further adieu, here is SVTP's list of Five 2019 Ford Ranger Misses.

No Manual Transmission

Global_Ranger_016.jpg

Call me a dinosaur, but I like rowing my own gears. I know that I’m part of a dying breed, but I’m a Lifetime Member of the Save the Manuals Foundation. Nothing beats having the extra level of control and engagement with your vehicle that a stick-shift offers. It just makes the combination of man and machine more meaningful.

Now I certainly understand that automatics have progressed to the point that they are superior to a manual in basically every performance metric. Still, if given the option; 9 times out if 10 I’ll choose a manual over a slush-box. Here’s to hoping that the Global Ranger’s manual transmission option will eventually find its way into the US spec model.

No Diesel Engine Option

Ranger_Hits_Misses_004.jpg

It’s no secret that I have a lot of love for compression ignition engines. For some reason the smell of diesel fuel and the clatter of an oil-burner just makes me happy. So it should come as no surprise that I was very disappointed that the Ranger was not introduced with a diesel engine option. The 3.2L Powerstroke is already offered in the Global Ranger in many markets, but it looks like there’s a very real chance that we may miss out on it here. That is doubly disappointing when you consider that the 3.2L diesel is already offered in the US in the full-size Transit van. I’m hoping that Ford listens to us and gives us a powerful diesel option for the Ranger in the very near future.

No FX4 Level II

Ranger_Hits_Misses_007.jpg

This one has special significance to me. Way back in 2002 I purchased the first model year Ford Ranger FX4, before this particularly potent off-road package was given the Level II designation in 2003. The FX4 Level II Ranger was a sweet package that was a step above the standard Off-Road equipped trucks. It featured Bilstein Shocks, Torsen Differential, Thicker Skid Plates, Unique Interior, Manual Transfer-Case, 4.10 Gears, and an F-150 Spec 31-Spline 8.8 Rear Axle. This was the top-dog package on the last generation Ranger, and really the highlight of that generation. While it wasn’t really a Raptor rival, it was a great little truck. I traded my 2002 FX4 Ranger in on my 2004 SVT Lightning, and while I don’t regret that move I do miss that truck. I think Ford is really missing an opportunity here by not giving us an FX4 Level II Ranger, especially if they don’t intend to bring the Ranger Raptor to the US.

No Regular Cab

Ranger_Hits_Misses_010.jpg

There’s probably going to be very few people who feel the same, but I really like a regular cab truck. To me it is the purest form of a pickup truck. It covers everything from a basic work truck to a sporty runabout. However, for over a decade sales of regular cab trucks across all brands have been falling off a cliff; so it’s understandable why Ford will only be selling the extended and crew cab models at launch. The Ranger is available in this configuration in other markets around the world, so it would be nice to have it here. My first vehicle was a regular cab Ford Ranger, and it was awesome. I’d really like to see the US-Spec Ranger include all cab option, so let’s hope we get the regular cab in a model year or two.

No Step-Side Bed

Ranger_Hits_Misses_008.jpg

If the last topic was somewhat controversial, this one is going to be even more so. Simply put, the Ranger needs a step-side bed option. There was a time when every truck manufacturer offered a step-side bed on their trucks, but since the 2010 model year that particular styling option has not been offered by any manufacturer in the US market. The Ford F-150 was the last truck to roll down the production line. The new Ford Ranger has a much more rounded styling than the other current Ford truck models, and a step-side bed would seem to fit pretty well with the overall design. Also, we think it is defiantly time for a new version of the Ford Ranger Splash; and you can’t have a Splash without a step-side bed.

Last edited:
98% of buyers don't care about your aged list.

That seems a bit harsh. I'm not a fan of step sides or manual trans light trucks either but Dodge has sold a lot of eco diesels so maybe that is a legitimate miss. The other 2 will come later. Car companies always leave room to grow. The don't show up in year 1 with every variation. I would expect a regular cab in year 2 or 3 plus other versions.

The manual and the diesel being omitted it just dumb.

I'm hoping they get added to the lineup. Word is that Nissan is going to be offering a diesel Frontier in the next couple of years. I've also heard that the EPA is considering relaxing some of their emissions standards to help diesels be cheaper and more reliable again.

I'm hoping they get added to the lineup. Word is that Nissan is going to be offering a diesel Frontier in the next couple of years. I've also heard that the EPA is considering relaxing some of their emissions standards to help diesels be cheaper and more reliable again.

Would that not be a double edged sword for them, given the massive fines they dolled out?

I would love to see more light duty diesels put to use, just better at what they do far as Im concerned

They just announced the truck a month ago. How do we know there'll be no FX4 Level II? Give 'em a minute. Jeez. Lol.

Regular cab is a joke. There's no way you'd be able to sell a 2-seater pickup truck in today's world.

I guess some of us didn't get that notice. Not everyone wants a 25 foot long jacked up truck with 50' tires where you have to carry a step ladder just to get things in and out of that tiny 5'5" bed. But hey at least you have room for 5, right? That's the real joke of a truck. Utterly useless. My 2014 regular cab was the smallest Ford truck I could get at the time. It's got almost as much space behind the seats as my super cab 93 Ranger too. Just a shame it's too damn tall. I've considered lowering it 2/4" back down to a normal ride height for a 2wd truck.

IMG_20141028_104749_429_zps6b73f837.jpg

This "new" Ranger, is as big as a mid 90's F-150 except the bed sides are so tall that you're sure to have the same issues as with my 2014. Not everyone is 6'5" with 4' long arms. There is nothing compact about this new truck. Oh well, guess I'll keep my bulletproof 93. Heck it's got 275k miles already, maybe we'll shoot for the big 300.

I guess some of us didn't get that notice. Not everyone wants a 25 foot long jacked up truck with 50' tires where you have to carry a step ladder just to get things in and out of that tiny 5'5" bed. But hey at least you have room for 5, right? That's the real joke of a truck. Utterly useless. My 2014 regular cab was the smallest Ford truck I could get at the time. It's got almost as much space behind the seats as my super cab 93 Ranger too. Just a shame it's too damn tall. I've considered lowering it 2/4" back down to a normal ride height for a 2wd truck.

View attachment 1474299

This "new" Ranger, is as big as a mid 90's F-150 except the bed sides are so tall that you're sure to have the same issues as with my 2014. Not everyone is 6'5" with 4' long arms. There is nothing compact about this new truck. Oh well, guess I'll keep my bulletproof 93. Heck it's got 275k miles already, maybe we'll shoot for the big 300.

Sounds like what you need is a Toyota Corolla.

There is simply no demand for a useless 2-seater pickup truck with a tiny bed. Small vehicles have been going out of style for 20 years now. Even the legendary 2-door Jeep Wrangler is selling at very small numbers these days in favor of the larger more useful 4-door.

Sounds like what you need is a Toyota Corolla.

Nah, I couldn't fit any hay bails in the back of a corolla.

There is simply no demand for a useless 2-seater pickup truck with a tiny bed.

Tell that to all the delivery drivers at your local parts stores or ranch owners like myself who actually use their trucks for their intended purpose. Also fyi, the tiny bed honors goes to the 4 door trucks. Single cabs always have the longer beds.

Small vehicles have been going out of style for 20 years now. Even the legendary 2-door Jeep Wrangler is selling at very small numbers these days in favor of the larger more useful 4-door.

Yup going out of style in suburban meccas all across the country. That's because trucks have replaced the station wagon in the cities. Still doesn't negate the usefulness of a shorter truck with a full size bed and lower bed sides so you can get more stuff in and out of it quickly and easily without needing to drop the tailgate or pulling out a step ladder. If I need something more powerful, I'll just pull out the 1-ton dually with the flat bed. Also a single cab. ;)

Come out to the ranch with me with your jacked up truck and try to load the entire bed with caliche using only a shovel and tell me how you love your tall truck afterwards.

Last edited:
No regular cab?? WTH? I've personally wore out five or six regular cab Rangers delivering in the auto parts business over the years, most of them manual's too.

I guess I can understand both those options not being there, but no diesel is very disappointing. If I was really to get serious about buying one, I can't help but feel like I'd end up in a Colorado just because of this.

I will be in the market for a pick-up by the time the Ranger gets released. it would suit my needs just fine. don't much care about diesel, side steps or manual transmissions. I am sure that there will be aftermarket stuff like a pop out side step or something to fill the void.

I had a 1995 Ford ranger at one time and loved that truck. It was a great all around vehicle for me.

I have read the 5 hits and 5 misses articles. I must say that NONE of the misses are an issue for me.

My 95 Ranger was a manual, however I'm getting up in my years and I like the idea of an automatic to drive around town in light to light traffic. Shifting is fun in my sports cars, but in my trucks and DD I prefer an auto.

I've never owned a diesel. Don't know what it's about or what the appeal is. So, I don't need it.

I'm not a 4x4 guy. I don't go off roading and if I needed to my 2014 F-150 Lariat is 4x4 capable. Don't need it in my mid-sized truck.

I have a family and it's nice to have room to fit everyone. My 14 F-150 is a super crew cab and the extra room comes in very handy. Think I like the extra room.

Now, I have to admit I REALLY like the step side trucks. I think they LOOK the best and sportiest. However, in a small or mid-size truck you give up too much cargo space and I think that kind of defeats the purpose of having a truck. Nothing wrong with having a truck to look cool, but I want a truck to go to the home improvement store and bring home bags of cement, bricks, soil, wood, appliances, etc. or go to the junk yard and bring home large car parts, rims, tires, body panels, etc. or help my family move. Step side takes away from my ability to haul more or larger items.​

Now given the fact Sid said it's an opinion piece I can understand people wanting those options. However, for me, NONE if the misses listed are misses because I will never miss any of those things if and when I decided to buy one of these new Rangers.

Thanks for writing those 2 articles Sid. Very well written and very informative :D..........

Users who are viewing this thread