2019 Corvette ZR1 w/corsa vs Tuned BMW M6 - 1/2 Mile Drag Race -

gofast15

Established Member
Ugly wrapped ZR1 got gaped by a clean good running M6 . Looks like the LT5 ZR1 motor have the same issue as LT4 Z06 motor , run very poorly in warm weather . There is another video out there of stock 610hp Huracan beating ZR1 from a dig and roll

SVTFastBack

Established Member
Didn't expect to see a brand new f***ed up vet already.. its ugly af and dirty as hell. Even more annoying is when you take a track car and go straight line with it and at least pulling the wing off like vipers do.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Deserved to get destroyed for being so ugly.

I was looking at one of the magazines comparo of a ZR1 vs GT3 and they made the point that a Zo7 Zo6 will out track a A8 ZR1.

oldmachguy

Established Member
Chassis is beyond maxed out. And like SVTFastBack said, trying to compete a track car in a drag race is not a recipe for success (just think about trying to run a high 9 sec car at Laguna Seca).

bigdave03svt

Established Member

This! I don't understand how most people cant grasp the fact that aero is extremely important and that these cars are built to go around the road course. They do it so well for a front engine RWD car its almost not even funny. That wing, and front splitters make a BIG difference. A stage 1 aero Z06 was 15 seconds faster to 185 than a stage 3 Z06... the only difference being winglets on the nose and a 3" high rear spoiler! That's a lot of time. The ZR-1 ZTK package is even more extreme so i'ts simple physics. lol. even with huge power its a lot to push through the air

When Chevy was designing the C7, it produced the highest down force of any car they'd ever tested in their wind tunnel at that time. They had to "detune" the C7-R so to speak to lessen the drag for better straight line speed.

Coiled03

Established Member
This! I don't understand how most people cant grasp the fact that aero is extremely important and that these cars are built to go around the road course.

Of course aero is important. But most people just toss around the term, not really understanding what goes into it. Frontal area is a large component of drag, and I'm pretty sure the M6 has a lot more of it. Plus, it probably has it's own aero elements, they're just not as visible as that ugly ass wing hung on the back of the ZR1.

So yeah, aero played a part. But, probably not as much as you might think.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Sad showing for the ZR1.. . he should have dumped that big ass wing for the 1/2 event.

EDIT: I also meant to say that my 640whp gt500 laid waste to a bolt on/tuned TT v8 M5 at a roll race event 2 years ago. Make me even more surprised to see how bad the vette lost this one.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
staggering how much that wing can really cost you...obviously aerodynamic pieces like splitters, spoilers will have an impact, just a little shocked to see by how much...
6-10mph on a mile.

Curious how much that would do on a half mile event. I wish he would have pulled it and ran back to back. Given the size of it, it's actually less than I was expecting, it looks like it's a pretty efficient design.

Users who are viewing this thread