2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk | First Drive

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I should have figured the thread would go this way :eek:

Tell you what. I'll get a Trackhawk, a Demon, and ZR1 and run them all head to head in dragstrip, road course, and day-to-day people hauling/shopping/inclement weather driving. Can you guess my conclusions?

F'n A man! Hell yeah!! Man, can I come work for you? I would dig ditches if it meant I could look at your cars from time to time. LOLZ

ZR1 will kill it on the track and street. Tadge stated at the unveiling that it's meant to be a GT car.
JGC Trackhawk will be the best all-arounder for cruisability, usability, and fun.
Demon will be neck-and-neck with the Trackhawk, but will ultimately lose out to the Trackhawk's utility.

I think you're gonna give the win to the Trackhawk. The ZR1 and Demon are borderline fair-weather novelty cars, whereas the Trackhawk can be used anytime, anywhere for any use.

That is the most sensible post yet.

Never_Enough

Established Member
ZR1 will kill it on the track and street. Tadge stated at the unveiling that it's meant to be a GT car.
JGC Trackhawk will be the best all-arounder for cruisability, usability, and fun.
Demon will be neck-and-neck with the Trackhawk, but will ultimately lose out to the Trackhawk's utility.

I think you're gonna give the win to the Trackhawk. The ZR1 and Demon are borderline fair-weather novelty cars, whereas the Trackhawk can be used anytime, anywhere for any use.
I don't think anyone denies the Trackhawk is the best for DD duty if you need the utility, though.

08mojo

Established Member
I don't think anyone denies the Trackhawk is the best for DD duty if you need the utility, though.

I don't need the utility, but I still got a Jeep SRT. It's hands-down the best daily driver I've ever had. However, I could easily see how the SRT could use a couple hundred more horsepower--enter the trackhawk, the absolute dream daily driver.:D

Never_Enough

Established Member
I don't need the utility, but I still got a Jeep SRT. It's hands-down the best daily driver I've ever had. However, I could easily see how the SRT could use a couple hundred more horsepower--enter the trackhawk, the absolute dream daily driver.:D
What makes it the best with utility out of the question & what are you comparing it to? Also, have you tracked it?

08mojo

Established Member
I'm comparing to my other favorite daily driver I've had in the past: Mk6 Golf R. I've also daily driven the following:

• chevy silverado
  • 92 foxbody gt
  • terminator
  • e46 m3
  • golf gti
  • 2014 mustang gt
  • 2008 jeep grand cherokee

The Jeep SRT is just plain nice. It feels luxurious as soon as you enter the cabin. Leather treatments everywhere, suede (faux suede) pillars and headliner, large screen on the dash with tons of info, large navigation/infotainment screen in the center stack--it all just works together nicely. Everything is very intuitive and exactly where you'd expect it to be. It has all of the modern conveniences that I've come to love:

• heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel
  • remote start
  • automatic climate control that always works/does what is expected
  • automatic cruise control
  • blind spot monitoring
  • really nice stereo (by far the nicest factory stereo I've ever had)
  • real time traffic updates
  • etc...

For the street duties, it has enough power to make you forget its a 5000+lb vehicle. It handles and brakes well enough to also make you forget it is a 5000+lb vehicle. The 8 speed auto always performs as expected--never hunts for gears, never shifts strangely, it's always crisp--and the paddle shifters are very quick to react, if that's your thing. The all time AWD is an added bonus. So, everything mentioned up to this point, plus a lot more power would be very welcomed in my world.

All that said, our bone stock 2016 mustang gt will outperform the jeep srt in every way: acceleration, handling, braking. The SRT is not a track vehicle, and mine will never see track time. It's a stupid thing to track--as will be the trackhawk. Drag-strip, maybe. The srt is a beast off the line and the auto trans and awd make anyone a pro a the stip, but it's weight becomes pretty apparent in short order. I'd take it to the drag strip for laughs and to embarrass people that think they can drive, but that's about it.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
the Trackhawk can be used anytime, anywhere for any use.
I said this pages ago. Spot on man.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The Jeep SRT is just plain nice. It feels luxurious as soon as you enter the cabin. Leather treatments everywhere, suede (faux suede) pillars and headliner, large screen on the dash with tons of info, large navigation/infotainment screen in the center stack--it all just works together nicely. Everything is very intuitive and exactly where you'd expect it to be. It has all of the modern conveniences that I've come to love:

• remote start
  • blind spot monitoring
  • etc...
For the street duties, it has enough power to make you forget its a 5000+lb vehicle. It handles and brakes well enough to also make you forget it is a 5000+lb vehicle. The 8 speed auto always performs as expected--never hunts for gears, never shifts strangely, it's always crisp--and the paddle shifters are very quick to react, if that's your thing. The all time AWD is an added bonus. So, everything mentioned up to this point, plus a lot more power would be very welcomed in my world.
@08mojo
How does/did your SRT perform in the snow? Light snow and deep snow? Did you swap out the tires?
I was really considering one before buying the truck, actually, dead set on it. I wish I did.

08mojo

Established Member
@08mojo
How does/did your SRT perform in the snow? Light snow and deep snow? Did you swap out the tires?
I was really considering one before buying the truck, actually, dead set on it. I wish I did.

No clue! I left the SRT in the garage during the snow we just got. There are too many morons on the roads out here, so I take the beater when I suspect adverse weather that makes the bad drivers even worse. That, and I had just ceramic coated the SRT a couple of days earlier--so I wanted to give the coating more time to fully cure.

Our older, 2wd and open diff, jeep grand cherokee did not have any problems in the few inches of snow we got last weekend. So, I would suspect the SRT would have been even better with AWD and the more advanced traction control.

My SRT came with the 4 season tires. It was a $$$ option for the 3 season tires, that also have a much worse tread rating. If it snows again, I'll consider taking the SRT out to play.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No clue! I left the SRT in the garage during the snow we just got. There are too many morons on the roads out here, so I take the beater when I suspect adverse weather that makes the bad drivers even worse. That, and I had just ceramic coated the SRT a couple of days earlier--so I wanted to give the coating more time to fully cure.
Our older, 2wd and open diff, jeep grand cherokee did not have any problems in the few inches of snow we got last weekend. So, I would suspect the SRT would have been even better with AWD and the more advanced traction control.
My SRT came with the 4 season tires. It was a $$$ option for the 3 season tires, that also have a much worse tread rating. If it snows again, I'll consider taking the SRT out to play.
Awesome man. Thanks for your response.
i HATE that the new Jeep SRT has the cylinder deactivation. That's stupid. I have that on my truck as well. Can be disabled everytime, but still, I'd rather not have it at all.
I would go with the 4 season tires as well.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I should have figured the thread would go this way :eek:

Tell you what. I'll get a Trackhawk, a Demon, and ZR1 and run them all head to head in dragstrip, road course, and day-to-day people hauling/shopping/inclement weather driving. Can you guess my conclusions?

After you're done with your rigorous tests, you can send them to me (just one at a time is fine) and I'll share my thoughts putting it through my signature series of test - driving back and forth to work every day.

On a serious note, are you expecting an appearance from any of the three in your garage anytime soon?

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
After you're done with your rigorous tests, you can send them to me (just one at a time is fine) and I'll share my thoughts putting it through my signature series of test - driving back and forth to work every day.

On a serious note, are you expecting an appearance from any of the three in your garage anytime soon?

On a serious note: my Demon is built and awaiting inspection. My Trackhawk is in D1 (locked & scheduled) and should be built next week. Still deciding whether to order a ZR1.

I know, I know -- I have a problem.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
On a serious note: my Demon is built and awaiting inspection. My Trackhawk is in D1 (locked & scheduled) and should be built next week. Still deciding whether to order a ZR1.

I don’t understand how this question hasn’t been asked yet...

Are you riding the bicycle to the dealer to pick up the demon? The back seats lay down so it should fit...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Living the dream bro. Good for you!
Definitely post up pics and a personal review if you may, when you get it please.

I may entertain getting a Trackhawk myself. I emailed my Dodge salesman inquiring about them on Saturday. I told him I want to check one out in person and go for a test drive. He said they 4 on order, due in about late February. (I would order my own as I want a color/option specific build.) Only happens if I get a good trade-in for my truck. Only then. lol

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

From all that I can tell, your only problem is the lack of garage space. :cool:

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
a local independent dealer somehow got his hands on one... it's white and looks like pure sex on 4 wheels! I said I just wanted a ride but he hasn't taken me up on it yet lol

Never_Enough

Established Member
So now you've got me thinking maybe, just maybe, I should put the Jetta on some lease swap sites, sell the MS6 & pick up a WK2 GC SRT8. Damn you!

I'm comparing to my other favorite daily driver I've had in the past: Mk6 Golf R. I've also daily driven the following:

• chevy silverado
  • 92 foxbody gt
  • terminator
  • e46 m3
  • golf gti
  • 2014 mustang gt
  • 2008 jeep grand cherokee

• remote start
  • blind spot monitoring
  • etc...

All that said, our bone stock 2016 mustang gt will outperform the jeep srt in every way: acceleration, handling, braking. The SRT is not a track vehicle, and mine will never see track time. It's a stupid thing to track--as will be the trackhawk. Drag-strip, maybe. The srt is a beast off the line and the auto trans and awd make anyone a pro a the stip, but it's weight becomes pretty apparent in short order. I'd take it to the drag strip for laughs and to embarrass people that think they can drive, but that's about it.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I love my 2014 JGC overland with the 5.7, AWD and 8A.

I can only imagine how awesome it must be with the Hellcat motor in it. The ultimate DD imo.

Unfortunately having just bought the Challenger HC a year ago and the trackhawk costing near $100k I’m going to have to continue imagining how awesome it must be for DD duties.

Maybe in 2-3 years I’ll swap out our 2014 JGC for one.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread