2018 intake manifold

*Predator*

Established Member
Now that, is very interesting . I didn't even know such a filter existed! So there's a benifit to the different filter shape?

Also, that was what I was going to look into was just replacing the tubing itself. I know air raid used to make just the tube on another vehicle I had. So someone makes one for the coyote?

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
AFE claims it flows 33% more. This makes sense since there is more surface area. However, how much of that is usuable (due to flow & turbulence within the OEM airbox) I do not know.

AiRaid also makes one for the Mustang:
Airaid Mustang Modular Intake Tube 450-946 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

And the K&N one is:
K&N Mustang Series 57 FIPK Modular Intake Tube w/ Drop-In Air Filter 57-2578 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

The K&N one is decent plastic and is very low profile. I like it because there is no connection for the sound tube that needs to be plugged off.

The AiRaid one is metal and a bit more obvious. I've heard that people get an oval "Ford" sticker and put it over the Airaid logo.

I have no idea which one flows better.

*Predator*

Established Member
AFE claims it flows 33% more. This makes sense since there is more surface area. However, how much of that is usuable (due to flow & turbulence within the OEM airbox) I do not know.

AiRaid also makes one for the Mustang:
Airaid Mustang Modular Intake Tube 450-946 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

And the K&N one is:
K&N Mustang Series 57 FIPK Modular Intake Tube w/ Drop-In Air Filter 57-2578 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

The K&N one is decent plastic and is very low profile. I like it because there is no connection for the sound tube that needs to be plugged off.

The AiRaid one is metal and a bit more obvious. I've heard that people get an oval "Ford" sticker and put it over the Airaid logo.

I have no idea which one flows better.

Went ahead and ordered the airaid. Got one "used" but never actually installed for a hundred bucks shipped online. Not sure where to find the Ford sticker tho? Apparently there used to be a perfect sized decal LMR used to sell but shows unavailable, no longer for sale on their site now.

My next question is, with this 2018 manifold will my JLT oil separator still bolt up? Or is anything in the way now?

jk57

Established Member
Found mine at advance auto package of two for like 9 dollars fits perfect

Ron11

Established Member
Check VMP's youtube video. They tested a stock 2014 Mustang GT. Then swapped to the 5.2 unit, the stock 2018 unit, a ported 2018 unit, a Boss 302, and a Cobra Jet. Get this, they also tested it with a 2018 F-150 stock unit. If you don't turn over 6000 rpms, go with the F-150 unit. Shockingly it doesn't loose that much in HP, just makes a much flatter pull. The best "bang for your buck" HP manifold is the ported stock 2018 unit. It's well worth your time to watch this video, no matter what your looking for.

DeepImpact

Established Member
I am having such a difficult time pulling the trigger on the ported 2018 intake. It seems to only do better above roughly 6500 rpm. Yes, it has a ton more hp at say 7200rpm, but if you shift at 6800 rpm instead of 7500rpm, which one is quicker in the 1/4 mile? I am assuming you have to raise your launch rpm way the hell up with the 18 intake vs a stock 14, otherwise the lower torque from the 18 intake will hurt the launch. I am done looking at dyno comparisons. Show me a gen 1 intake vs 18 intake drag comparison on a gen 1. And that still isn’t telling the whole story. If the 18 is 2 tenths quicker in the 1/4 but the lower mid range torque makes it a dog coming out of the corners at 4000rpm, I don’t want it eventhough I spend most my time on the drag strip. I think I’ll just put that money towards a Roush Supercharger. I miss the torque and power delivery of my supercharged 347 in my Foxbody. Drove the 14 today on the twisties and it just really made me miss my Foxbody. I sure wish it didn’t burn in the fires. I don’t know if the 14 will ever really do it for me. The hydraulic clutch and throttle by wire just change the whole experience. Yes, the Coyote is fast with little mods, but it just isn’t the same.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Check VMP's youtube video. They tested a stock 2014 Mustang GT. Then swapped to the 5.2 unit, the stock 2018 unit, a ported 2018 unit, a Boss 302, and a Cobra Jet. Get this, they also tested it with a 2018 F-150 stock unit. If you don't turn over 6000 rpms, go with the F-150 unit. Shockingly it doesn't loose that much in HP, just makes a much flatter pull. The best "bang for your buck" HP manifold is the ported stock 2018 unit. It's well worth your time to watch this video, no matter what your looking for.

Why do people keep using that skewed test. That test was marketed towards the 18 manifold and everyone knows it. They downplayed the Cobra Jet hard and choked it at 7.3K.

This is a more accurate test of the manifolds:

We Dyno Every Ford Coyote Intake Manifold on a Gen-3 Crate! - Hot Rod Network

DeepImpact

Established Member
I really want to see a drag test, or lap times around a road course. Has anyone run a Gen 1 with stock manifold, 3.73's, and M6 down the 1320 and then upgraded to the 18 and seen a difference? My buddy put one on his 331 geared car and did not improve, but he was having some issues that night. He just installed 3.73's last weekend, so I guess I'll see how he does in a month or so. I really want 11.50 @ 117mph. Can I pick up 3mph and 3 tenths with a Bret Barber ported 18 intake and cat deletes? I already have an after cat H that eliminated the portion that reduced down. I keep looking at the Roush blower, so I hate to spend money on an intake if I eventually do the Roush. I would also do a dyno tune with the intake. I am not happy with the drivability of the two tunes I have and the other tuner I want to use requires me to go on his dyno. So, this intake swap will get expensive! However, I want to get his tune anyway and I would get more out of it if I do the intake swap or have the Roush on it! I need this thing to hold up to drag races and track days without needing too much work done, so it should probably stay NA for a while. I haven't even got the house rebuilt yet since the fire.

jk57

Established Member
For the price of a good cai the 2018 intake manifold or the boss is a good deal I looked at both and found a oem boss for 315 from a ford dealer now before you guys beat me up as why in the hell you bought that lol I bought it for looks alone as I don't track it nor really street race it. So in the end its good we have a choice to choose from and those tests help in that.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
You might be able to use the 18 "winged"cover but I think they're ugly.

Someone modified an 11-14 plenum cover with modified mounting posts and the passenger side rear notched out to clear the bracket on the 18.

Leaving it bare is always an option. Another "dress-up" alternative is the Bullitt fuel rail covers.

2018-2019 5.0L "POWERED BY FORD" ENGINE DRESS UP KIT

Hotmezzcrew76020

I would assume 15+ but there are 11-14 already with them. GT350 manifold fits 11-14 also.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Hi, hopefully not a stupid question but need some help please. I have 2015 f150 v8 coyote gen 2 engine. The imrc flap has broken on bank 1 and I have to replace. Ford is quoting $650 for new intake assembly but on back order currently, probably due to same issue, no aftermarket yet in my price range.
I have found lots of mustang intakes taken off 15-17 year models v8's and I've also found gen 3 coyote engine intakes online much cheaper.
My question is will the intake from the gen 3 be a bolt on replacement for mine or will it need to be modified like the map sensor install on the mustang intake?

Thank you for reading

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
The intake manifold is a bolt on but you would need this harness to make it work:

VMP Plug and Play CMCV harnesses for 2018 GT intake manifold on 2015-2017 GT

I don't know whether you would need a tune. The Mustang Coyote manifolds are designed for higher rpm use than the F-150 Coyote manifolds. I don't know if you need a tune to run the engine safely but I think a tune would help with driveability.

The other thing to look for is the water outlet at the front driver's side. The 2018 has a lower profile in the back and needed to be ordering to avoid grinding the manifold to clear the one bolt for a 2014. I don't know if the 2015-17 has the same issue.

Here is a video that may help:

Users who are viewing this thread