2018 intake and vct settings for idle

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
ever since i installed the 2018 intake I've been having a very strange idle issues. the AFR would jump around from 14.00 to 14.6 and down to 13.5 and i would feel even the car would sound different when this starts, i can notice the exhaust note changes up and feels like it's misfiring.

Lambda on idle is 1.00 so it's not running rich or lean.

i know for a fact that the VCT settings could cause this behavior especially with the 2018 intake. so i figured i'll ask if anyone got any knowledge on this.

utlong31

Established Member
I had an idle issue after installing the 2018 on my sons 2014. It was a vacuum leak. I had left one of the injector o rings in the old intake. Might not be your problem but I would double check for vacuum leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
I had an idle issue after installing the 2018 on my sons 2014. It was a vacuum leak. I had left one of the injector o rings in the old intake. Might not be your problem but I would double check for vacuum leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i might get that checked because basically i did everything i even played with the intake cam angle on idle and still i'm having the same thing.

for the 2015-2017 mustangs it's a must to adjust the idle cam angles due to IMRC delete but on the s197 platform i've never seen anything like it.

and there is one possibility which is the torque tables which i'll work on next.

i can't believe that the only thing that is killing me is the idle FML

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
@BH Tuner

Could you post an update on this? I’d like to know if you figured this out, and if yes, what was the issue/fix.

Thanks.

well honestly i never had the chance to check anything.

basically the s197 won't require any work on the cam angle for idle! i kept working on my fuel trims and.

one other thing that was a bit of a B#tch was the way i was smoothing my idle curve. i was doing it a bit different than the right way, once i got it done the car seems better

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
so i have done the following

i changed my AFR from 14.08 to 14.6 since i'm running pure gasoline, it did help getting my idle much smoother.

what's left is the PMAS Cai that is so big which causes some very slight afr play however i think i have progressed very well.

next up is getting rid of both Cai & intake, and to fit my Roush blower, i can't wait to start tuning the 67mm VMP throttle body

Users who are viewing this thread