2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport

jdcobra

Established Member
Picked up the car as a daily driver for the time being because my credit is shot due to medical bills.
Everything was pretty good at first until about a couple weeks ago when it got cold here in Houston.
I noticed the driver side Ac/heat was cooler than the passenger side. Took into the dealership and the condenser and heater core were replaced and all is said to be well but the symptoms persist. Could this be a blend door actuator issue?

jdcobra

Established Member
Very well could be. Being a 2018, take it back and tell them to try again.

I did and they kept it and looked over it but found nothing wrong. Idk what to do at this point. I called their main office and filed a complaint with them and I’m supposed to hear something back this week hopefully.

I bought it used with only 15k miles and even now it only has like 16.8k miles on it. But even then this is unacceptable to me. I thought these cars were better than this.

If they don’t do anything I may try to get another actuator and switch it out to see if it fixes it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not the heater core, so the next thing you'd want to check is the blend door. I'm surprised the dealer didn't check the actuator as a possible issue. Then again.....LOL.

jdcobra

Established Member
It's not the heater core, so the next thing you'd want to check is the blend door. I'm surprised the dealer didn't check the actuator as a possible issue. Then again.....LOL.

Right? I think the shop it’s mostly comprised of younger techs. I don’t think they are many “seasoned” techs if you will lol.

SHOdown220

Established Member
They put a damn heater core in it? I've never seen a heater core need replacing in a honda newer than probably 2006.

Anyways, those do have a warranty extension on the condenser and are known for compressor issues but neither of those sounds like your concern. What's the temp difference? Get a thermometer and measure the difference side to side. Theoretically the drivers side won't be exactly the same as passenger side because passenger side is where everything in coming in and being pushed to the drivers side. So there's a a few feet of vents there that the air has to travel through. that being said there shouldn't be more than 2-3 degrees difference.

Sounds similar to a blend door actuator sticking like you mentioned. I would maybe let another dealer try since the car is still under warranty. The district rep should get involved if the car is looked at multiple times for the same concern.

jdcobra

Established Member
They put a damn heater core in it? I've never seen a heater core need replacing in a honda newer than probably 2006.

Anyways, those do have a warranty extension on the condenser and are known for compressor issues but neither of those sounds like your concern. What's the temp difference? Get a thermometer and measure the difference side to side. Theoretically the drivers side won't be exactly the same as passenger side because passenger side is where everything in coming in and being pushed to the drivers side. So there's a a few feet of vents there that the air has to travel through. that being said there shouldn't be more than 2-3 degrees difference.

Sounds similar to a blend door actuator sticking like you mentioned. I would maybe let another dealer try since the car is still under warranty. The district rep should get involved if the car is looked at multiple times for the same concern.

Yea I’ll have to measure the temp. There’s only 4 vents up front, one on either side by the door and two in the middle. The passenger side blows significantly warmer to where you can tell by just putting your hand up to the vent.

It has the same amount of forced air, just definitely warmer.

They were like, “just put it on low and it’ll be fine”. Lol, I was like what kind of “fix” is that, and secondly it does nothing to fix the issue.

nxhappy

Established Member
yea sounds like the blend door. At that point I would take it to a different dealership. The current place sounds like a bunch of retarded imbeciles.

jdcobra

Established Member
I’ve done some digging and it appears others have had this issue with no avail for a fix.

If it is the blend door actuator, should I go aftermarket since other Honda’s are having the issue as well?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I’ve done some digging and it appears others have had this issue with no avail for a fix.

If it is the blend door actuator, should I go aftermarket since other Honda’s are having the issue as well?
If its even available. Lexus is having an issue with some of their HVAC actuator servos. If Honda is using the same Denso actuators, then they may not know how to identify and replace the failed servos.

We've got a process locked down that can identify failed servos by comparing their target position and actual position in the data list. Sometimes, a failed servo on one side can completely effect the operation of other servos that may be ok. Its... weird to say the least.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Weird. We just bought a new 2019 Civic Sport. So far so good.. we haven't experienced any difference in temp across the various vents. Here's to hoping it's not a larger issue

08mojo

Established Member
No, it’s single zone climate controlled. Not a dual zone

This makes me think it is not a blend door/actuator. For a single zone system, you'd think there is only 1 blend door. Since you have hot air on the passenger side, the blend door appears to be working. I know you said the amount of air coming out of the vents on both sides feels the same, but... I think it's a leak in a duct somewhere. I cannot think of another way to have cool air being blended in with the warm air.

SHOdown220

Established Member
my co-worker has one, and it's been a huge unreliable POS.

What issues has he had? Other than a/c compressors on the 16-17 models the new civics have been rock solid from what I've seen come through my location.

If it helps there is no service bulletin for this concern and I haven't seen a similar issue on those, I'm at a fairly high volume dealer so usually if its a common issue we've seen it before. I wouldn't go aftermarket, I would find another dealership and get some fresh eyes on the issue. They should be able to reach out to tech-line for more assistance if they can't get it nailed down.

GodStang

Established Member
Damn, what the hell happened to Honda

For the past 10 years of so Honda has been utter complete crap but some how they still have a good name. A huge portion of their cars with "ECO mode" have to have their engines rebuilt at 50-75K miles. This was a nightmare fight we had with our Odyssey and it being covered under warranty (had to take to multiple dealers before it was partially fixed under warranty). The electrical issues these cars have is like no other. Thinking all the issues we have was just "A lemon car" but after doing research every issue we had was a very common issue that many others had.

Users who are viewing this thread