2018 Ford F150 5.0L SuperCrew Official Review, Specs, and 2016 F150 Comparison

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
In this week’s episode of American Trucks' The Haul, AT host Justin Dugan gives us a
first look at AT's new 2018 F-150, demonstrating all the new features, whether
they be extremely obvious or subtle. Out of the many versatile exterior packages
offered, this video features our base XL model with the STX appearance package.
Included in this package is a Honeycomb-style grill, color-matched bumpers, and
factory 20" wheels. A pretty sweet spec, if we do say so ourselves!

After a quick overview of the exterior, JD breaks down the expected changes under
the hood along with engine availability. Did someone say a US-spec 2018 F-150 DIESEL
is in the cards? You can hear Justin speaks his mind on the 5 different engines
starting with the standard 3.3L V6 and finishing up with the ever-popular Ford 5.0L
V8 equipped with 395HP and 400LB/FT Torque. After throwing AT's fleet 2018 5.0L on
the Dyno to see where it stands against the 2015 5.0L F-150, we witnessed some
pretty serious power gains. Who doesn't like gains?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Picked up a 2018 5.0/10spd myself about a month ago. If you're thinking about one make sure you drive it first. Somethings off with the shift scheduling or mass air. Constant little hiccups, stumbles etc. when in cruise or light throttle/acceleration. Once you notice, it gets old fast.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Picked up a 2018 5.0/10spd myself about a month ago. If you're thinking about one make sure you drive it first. Somethings off with the shift scheduling or mass air. Constant little hiccups, stumbles etc. when in cruise or light throttle/acceleration. Once you notice, it gets old fast.
Should have got the EB, lol.

snakecharmer

Established Member
So did I understand that you can NOT permanently disable the stop/start stuff? That would be a non starter for me. My BMW has it and the first thing I did was permanently turn it off as it is super annoying (and IMO unsafe).

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Hated the front when I first saw it, but its grown on me. Trying to decide if I want to get the 2.7 or pay the extra and go 5.0.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Is it a learning thing or a software issue? Maybe a tune could fix it

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
So did I understand that you can NOT permanently disable the stop/start stuff? That would be a non starter for me. My BMW has it and the first thing I did was permanently turn it off as it is super annoying (and IMO unsafe).
There is a button you can press to turn it off. But you have to do it every time you start the truck. You can add a jumper wire that will turn it off always or edit some code with FORscan to permanently disable it. But there is not a factory setting that turns it off permanently.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

No biggie. Just get a Livernois tune for it and they'll turn it off for you (and you'll be making even more power ;))

MachME

2V Power
Established Member

I believe 2015+ 5.0 f150(not mustangs) are speed density like the EB. No MAF.

Get a 5.0 truck and drop the coin on blower or go with eco all day.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Should have got the EB, lol.
More potential with the 5.0 when boosted. ;)

There is a setting along with the button but neither are permanent. It is a little annoying.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
TSB 17-2262 & 17-2272 are out for issues related to the trans. Looks like many are saying it addresses the shifting issues well so that's hopeful.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Well...now I've seen a few with long antenna's so IDK. I'm digging the Magma Red.

Users who are viewing this thread