• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

2018 F-150 problems

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by Bracketbomber, Dec 2, 2019.

1. 7998

7998 Well-Known Member Established Member

I loved my '16 so much I bought a 2019. Both 3.5 EB CC. I had a problem with the front hub clicking on the 2016 and the right front speaker on the B&O equipped 2019 crackled. The dealer fixed it right the first time and either had a loaner or picked the truck up at my house. In return I gave them a stellar survey.

I looked at the Ram. I really like the looks of it better than the F-150 and wanted the 12" screen. But I didn't buy it for the following reasons.
    1. The Hemi felt slow compared to the 3.5TT
    2. The F-150 rode better than the air suspension equpped Laramie I drove.
    3. No massaging seats in the Ram
    4. Aluminum body. I live in the salt belt in PA. In 3-4 years you will need to replace the rockers, and anything else the salt splashes on. (Though if I bought the Ram I was going to Ziebart it)
    5. Ford had 0%. I'm a whore for 0%.
    zzzzsvt.jpg
    zzzzsvt2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Same truck here...same results. No issues whatsoever.

3. 03Sssnake

03Sssnake TK-421 Established Member Beer Money Bros.

AFAIK These issues are only on gen 3 coyote trucks and not the ecoboost trucks. Hopefully Ford figures out their Gen3 coyote woes, suspect that spray in bore liner isn't helping things.....

IronSnake likes this.
  4. BlksvtCobra01

BlksvtCobra01 Deplorable and Proud Established Member

Meh your leasing it and it’s under warranty as long as you got a loaner I wouldn’t sweat it.

Yes we’ve heard countless times. They build what 700,000 of these a year? Not everyone will be perfect. It was under warranty and did you even let them try and make it right? I’m on the F150 forum and quite a few threads are people cackling like old hens on the view about there trucks and problems. While there is some good tech advice there, that said I love my 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Sssnake likes this.
  5. Sonic605hp

Sonic605hp I have a large member. Established Member

I have a '17 3.5eb/10 speed with a laundry list of issues.... I'll update when I can use a keyboard and have 20 minutes to spare.

_Snake_ likes this.
  6. _Snake_

_Snake_ Well-Known Member Established Member

I’ve heard the same things about the 10 speed trans. Lots of issues that led to a class action lawsuit.

Ford F-150 10-Speed Transmission Subject Of New Lawsuit

7. DriftwoodSVT

DriftwoodSVT Raptor club member Established Member

2018 Raptor with issues here...

First - timing belt tensioner. It was gone nearly a month while this issue was resolved. Happened around 14,000 miles or so.

Second - charging system fault. Cable from the alternator to the fuse box worked itself loose on a trip from Texas to Arkansas. Bad timing.

Third - wrench icon when driving down the highway. Went into limp mode. Replaced throttle body, air speed sensor and turbo boost sensor. Happened around 22,000 miles.

Fourth - APIM went bad. Touchscreen stopped working, blue tooth stopped working, steering wheel radio controls stopped working. Took about 3 days to fix. Happened around 26,000 miles.

Fifth - Check engine light. Crankcase pressure sensor had to be replaced. Happened at 34,500 miles.

Super disappointed that a $65k truck is this unreliable.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  8. Blk04L

Blk04L . . . Premium Member Established Member

black99lightnin likes this.
  9. DriftwoodSVT

I placed my order yesterday. 2020 Scab in Peformance Blue. Dealer gave me invoice pricing and a great trade value, they feel bad I've had so many issues with my 2018.

I was really on the fence until I was offered invoice. I looked hard at the new Jeep Gladiator, but was not impressed with the 3.6L engine at all.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  10. Sonic605hp

Finally have five minutes to myself. So.....coming from a Ford guy that loves his truck and had a 3.5eb/6spd '15 that was problemsless for 50k miles until it was totaled by a red light running idiot.

My truck is a '17 3.5/10spd eb platinum.

1) Bottom end knock passenger side. Initially thought to be mistake for HPFP on the driver's side....not so much.

2) Disappearing coolant...nothing in the oil, no coolant smell from the motor or exhaust, head gasket?

3) Leaking rear main seal

4) Front differential leaks, yes leaks.

5) Rear diff leaks, yes leaks

6) Hole in the exhaust, truck is a 2017 with 34k miles.

7) Intake manifold bad seal I guess with oil pissing on drivers side head cover.

8) Both front axles have oil residue covering them where they meet the fron diff.

9) Front differential noise when in AWD or 4WD...noticeable howl or vibration.

10) 4WD H/L malfunction....get stuck and only 2 wheels spin....front drivers side/rear passenger side tires. Other 2 act as if they're holding a beer for the others.

11) Sunroof does not work...moves 4 inches and jams. EVERY ****ING TIME.

12) Rear window leak leading to mildew smell in VERY clean and well maintained truck

13) ALL 4 doors leak into the inner door....I pulled the bottom plugs because each door sounded like the ocean was sloshing inside them....I'm sure this did wonders for my Infiniti Kappa Perfect speaker upgrade.

14) BLIS system failure. Blind spot system not working, camera malfunctioning....no idea why.

15) Transmission shifting is erratic....missed or misplaced shifts both up and down the rev range.

11. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

What do you guys do to these things?
    No more comments on my 18 2.7 10 speed luxury daily with no issues.

black99lightnin likes this.
  12. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I seriously wonder. The odds of a single vehicle built with a problem in virtually EVERY system are practically nil. There has to be something else going on.

13. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

This is my kind of ZF trans:

235441.520.jpg

Blk04L likes this.
  14. DriftwoodSVT

Drive it. Take it on trails, like it's meant to. My Raptor is no street queen and has seen plenty of trail time.

However, I seriously doubt any of my offroad time has anything to do with the laundry list of issues I've had, other than maybe the loose alternator cable.

BlksvtCobra01 likes this.
  15. BlksvtCobra01

BlksvtCobra01 Deplorable and Proud Established Member

Props to you for using it for what it was meant to do as well, instead of it just being a pavement princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lexustech48 likes this.
  16. Sonic605hp

Drive is normally, tow my boat twice a year, that's it. It's funny because I had a 2015 with the 6 speed and 3.5 EB for 60k+ miles and didn't have one issue besides the leaking rear window and rear main seal which are very common. My '17 is a joke and probably needs an engine.

17. AustinJ427

AustinJ427 Well-Known Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

There was a guy who used to work for Ford on another forum and still has friends who work for Ford, he mentioned something about the gen 3 engines.

The 2018 coyote issues were real and due to a manufacturing issue, but apparently rectified some time after they started building engines. I wouldn't be too concerned about them now.

18. lexustech48

lexustech48 Ghost Editor-In-Chief Premium Member Established Member

leave it to the Canadians to dick up something as easy as Plasma Spray bore liners on a mass production scale... smh.

:D jk eh

BlksvtCobra01 likes this.