2017 Mustang GT w/Roush SC

CobraG

Established Member
I've been looking for a 2012 or even a 2013/2014 GT500, however, I've had little luck finding one in the price range I'd like to pay.
In my nightly searches I came across a 2017 Mustang GT with a Roush SC. I'm not sure which stage it is, the site doesn't say.
What do y'all think of them? I know it's not a GT500, but the HP #'s look pretty similar.
I'd trade my 2013 5.0 for it. It wouldn't be a DD, just an occasional fun car to drive. I want to go the SC route and this looks like it'd be a possible upgrade.

What do y'all think of the car?
2017 Ford Mustang GT Roush Supercharged Bristow OK | Sapulpa Tulsa Broken Arrow Oklahoma 1FA6P8CF1H5203102

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thats way too high their dreaming. Put a blower on ur 13 its about 200 lbs lighter than the 17. U own the LAST of the Mustangs imo. It still resembles Eleanor in some ways.

I like the new ones I just prefer the 13-14 as far as looking like how a Mustang should look but two each his own I guess.

I bet the next Mustang will look more like an older Mustang than anything out now. U cant just keep making it into a soap bubble at some point ur gonna have to add some lines and character back to the design like Dodge did with the Challenger and Chevy did with the Camaro.

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
Thats way too high their dreaming. Put a blower on ur 13 its about 200 lbs lighter than the 17. U own the LAST of the Mustangs imo. It still resembles Eleanor in some ways.

I like the new ones I just prefer the 13-14 as far as looking like how a Mustang should look but two each his own I guess.

I bet the next Mustang will look more like an older Mustang than anything out now. U cant just keep making it into a soap bubble at some point ur gonna have to add some lines and character back to the design like Dodge did with the Challenger and Chevy did with the Camaro.

I love the way my 2013 looks, I've just had some small issues with it and for some reason never really connected with the car. My wife absolutely loves it but I've just never had that vibe with it.
I'm thinking/hoping maybe a new(er) car would jump start my enthusiasm for Mustangs again. Although on the flip side of that I can see getting rid of mine and really missing the body style.

CobraG

Established Member
I’m thinking about going to check it out tomorrow. What do y’all think a good price would be? It’s a 5.0 with a Roush SC, not a Roush car.
It’s $36,500 right now. KBB says fair market is $31K to $34K. That’s without a SC, I know aftermarket parts don’t add value but that’s the main reason I like the car. Seems to me $35K would be pretty fair, what do you think?

CobraG

Established Member
We went and drove the car today (2017 5.0 Roush SC). The SC really hits, I didn't get on it too much, the sales guy was in the car, but it hits. On a side note, my wife didn't care, she rowed the gears, I'm not sure how fast we were going, but she had it moving, lol.
The SC was nice! That was my first time to drive a SC'd car and really my first time to ride in one besides a 2nd - 3rd gear pull in an 03 Cobra back in the day. The car itself was okay, it's a plain GT, cloth Recaro seats, small screen on the radio, does have a backup camera but the screen is so small. It has the gauges in the middle which were pretty cool. It had an exhaust drone which seems typical for Mustangs, all mine have had it. The exhaust tips say MBRP, I haven't heard of that exhaust before.
They want $36,500 for it, which for around here is a good deal. A Roush SC'd car, with under 15K miles and dialed in, it was smooth and fast!

I'd be trading a 2013 Premium with heated leather seats, JBA LTH's, JLT, midpipe, MagnaFlow mufflers, MGW. I like the looks of my 2013 way better, inside and out, but that SC was nice!
My car has some small issues I've never gotten around to addressing, the idle bounces up and down (not sure why), the rear view mirror vibrates, just little things like that. It has 29K miles and sight unseen they offered me $17K for it.

I could get into a 2017 5.0 Roush SC'd car for under $20K. I have until Monday around 0900 to make my decision, someone else is supposed to come look at it Monday, at that price, I believe them, I don't think they're just saying that.

Also, I'm thinking about using this as a business decision too. Right now I can get $17K for my 2013, I'll trade it now for this 2017, then in a year or two I'll trade this one for a 2013/2014 GT500 and get back into my favorite body style. In a year or two the 2017 will be worth more than my 2013 will be.
(Yes, I know car's are depreciating assets, mine being a 13 with more miles will be worth less in 1-2 yrs than this 2017).

Anyway, sorry so long, If you've done something similar how'd it work out? Advice on the car etc.

2017 Ford Mustang GT Roush Supercharged Bristow OK | Sapulpa Tulsa Broken Arrow Oklahoma 1FA6P8CF1H5203102

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I would venture to say everyone here has played the same game you are going through. It's a little different every time, each deal has its own subtle nuances.

After ~50 years of buying and selling muscle cars, I will say that my best 'deals' have been when I bought a car that was modded with quality parts, or when I simply found a pristine car with low miles and I left it alone. Those are the types of cars I had most fun with, spent least money fixing up, and got a decent return when sold.

You state; "I like the looks of my 2013 way better, inside and out..." so that would immediately make my vote a DON'T BUY. If you're not ecstatic with every facet of the deal, then why bother? Just for a S/C? Just my $.02

Good luck with whatever you do............... ;)

FJohnny

Established Member
Why not just look around for a great deal on a supercharger kit for your '13? It already has a bunch of the other parts you would want.

You know it's history and like the body style. The new tune will clean up your idle. Money wise you are waaayyyy ahead. Your wife will like you more than she does now and think you're some kind of hero.

If it's a GT500 you eventually want to end with this gives you a big head start with saving up for it.

Good luck. I quite like my Whippled '14 that cost a fraction of most other alternatives.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
This is my 2 cents..... I have bought, built and sold various muscle cars for the past (25) years and u sound just like me many times over.

My advice would be to find a car u really like and KEEP IT! Then modify it year after year. Before long the car will be paid for and u will owe ZERO on it vs. the monthly payment game year after year....

U add to it each year and make it better. U can afford to cause u no longer have a car payment. Eventually u will have a badass car that few others have and u will owe NOTHING on it. U will take way more PRIDE owning it and will keep it perfect!

I stopped playing that game many years ago wanting a new vehicle every few years to modify game for a toy. As far DD goes yea get the newest shit.

But for a toy to keep trading shit in for other shit is an expensive and wasteful game. Ur far better off spending a little more on something u really want and keep it and modifying it than u are with the trade-in game year after year.

Of course im partial but ur 13 is badass. Just build it!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, posts 6, 7 and 8 give you some pretty good ideas and opinions.

But the most important opinions are your own. And in post #1, you stated; "I've been looking for a 2012 or even a 2013/2014 GT500...". In other words, you would much prefer a GT500.

Then in post #5 you stated; "I like the looks of my 2013 way better, inside and out....". Pretty clearly stated.

I gotta say, based on what you've said, and combined with the other guys input, this is truly a DON'T BUY. I honestly think you'll be kicking yourself in the ass if you buy that 2017 GT.

CobraG

Established Member
I thought about it over the weekend and decided to keep my 2013. In the end I just like the looks of my car better, inside and out. Mine is a Premium and the 17 is a base. I'd basically be financing a $20K supercharger which I can buy and put on my car for less than that and have a car I really like.
Thanks for all your replies and input.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
very_wise.jpg

stanger1

Established Member
I just saw this thread and thought I would put my 2 cents in.
I owned a 13 Shelby GT500 for 4 years, had every option, but the Glass Roof, which would have been nice.
The car is everything people say, fast for stock, massive torque, great gearbox but the final gearing is very tall, so a gear change would be a good first mod. That plus dump the stock Goodyear Tires.
Plus I just had to be able to say that i had owned a 13 GT500.
But, the 5.0 Coyote engine that lives today is a hell of an engine. The IRS rear suspension is a game changer for me in the 15+ Mustangs. The roads around here are not very smooth and that was the #1 reason that i traded my 13 GT500 for a 17 Roush RS3 with auto trans.
If applying power around any curve that was not smooth, the bounce from the live axel would send the rear end out and after a few times, got to be not so fun. This was with 295/35R20 Michelin PS4's Tires. Straight line and smooth road, car was a blast.
So I, for me, am happy with having the 17 Roush, now VMP tuned.
This is my opinion, but the 17, with auto trans, is much easier to drive, puts the power down very well, may be faster, actual Horsepowers on both car are very close, the 17 is at 730 hp crank now. I got the color I always wanted, Grabber Blue.
Plus if you blow up a Coyote, they are alot less expensive to rebuild compared to the Shelby 5.8. The 5.8 can easily be 20K, depending what what happens.
some people will agree and some disagree with this long thread, but it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread