2017 Inspection; MAC

A.T

Established Member
Also, for those who have gone to a MAC center. What happens if you don't get anything fixed? My car wont pass and Im deff not putting the emissions stuff back on with only a year left to go before its not required. What im afraid of is getting another rejection then going to a MAC center and having them pull my reg or something for not wanting to fix anything.
The inspection machine won't let the inspector get past the screen after VIN and plate number. It'll be turned away if it doesn't go to MAC. The registry guy was just at my shop the other day. I mentioned about having an 03 Cobra and asked if emissions were going to change. He said no, and it'll still be 15 years is exempt and said I could take the cats out, lol.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
The inspection machine won't let the inspector get past the screen after VIN and plate number. It'll be turned away if it doesn't go to MAC. The registry guy was just at my shop the other day. I mentioned about having an 03 Cobra and asked if emissions were going to change. He said no, and it'll still be 15 years is exempt and said I could take the cats out, lol.
Hey Adam if you wouldn't mind explaining a bit.....my GT is a 02 so I know I am emissions exempt but do they still plug it in and check the OBD or is just visual inspection on the exhaust.....because I gotta replace mine. Leaking like hell and thinking about going full headers/midpipe/catback all the way back. Thanks!

A.T

Established Member
Hey Adam if you wouldn't mind explaining a bit.....my GT is a 02 so I know I am emissions exempt but do they still plug it in and check the OBD or is just visual inspection on the exhaust.....because I gotta replace mine. Leaking like hell and thinking about going full headers/midpipe/catback all the way back. Thanks!
Visual only. It doesn't ask to check OBD or plug in and goes through as safety only.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
as far as i know, all of my tint is legal. When i paid for it i wanted it all done legit so i wouldnt have issues. I do have a tint strip on the top of my windshield that goes down just to where my rear-view mirror attaches to the front windshield. ive seen my tint get checked with the meter and it comes in right at 35%

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Visual only. It doesn't ask to check OBD or plug in and goes through as safety only.

Visual only? Does that mean it must appear that the cats are still there?

Also, what about check engine light for emissions? Does a CEL equate to failure?

A.T

Established Member
Visual only? Does that mean it must appear that the cats are still there?

Also, what about check engine light for emissions? Does a CEL equate to failure?
Yes, it's supposed to appear that they are there. And yet the registry guy just said I could remove them. CEL is not a failure when it's old enough to be exempt.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I had a an appointment scheduled In Beverly today that got cancelled because there equipment was down and rescheduled to this Monday 7/24. This is after I was told I needed two more cats so I bought 2 and had them welded in.

So I got a call from Eric in Framingham MAC and he pretty much told me that I have to take off my long tubes and return to a stock mid-pipe since my car was "tampered" with (12 years ago before they adopted this BS from California).

Pretty much just thinking of taking the car off the road until 2019. I don't have a couple grand laying around to go back to stock.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I had a an appointment scheduled In Beverly today that got cancelled because there equipment was down and rescheduled to this Monday 7/24. This is after I was told I needed two more cats so I bought 2 and had them welded in.

So I got a call from Eric in Framingham MAC and he pretty much told me that I have to take off my long tubes and return to a stock mid-pipe since my car was "tampered" with (12 years ago before they adopted this BS from California).

Pretty much just thinking of taking the car off the road until 2019. I don't have a couple grand laying around to go back to stock.
Im just trying to sail through the summer and next year i'll be golden. Currently driving on an R right now.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Im just trying to sail through the summer and next year i'll be golden. Currently driving on an R right now.

If you have to go to the MAC center, i'm not sure you can even pass once exempt because the VIN is in the state computer that you need to go to the MAC, and idk, does the flag stay there even after you become exempt or just go away.?.?

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
If you have to go to the MAC center, i'm not sure you can even pass once exempt because the VIN is in the state computer that you need to go to the MAC, and idk, does the flag stay there even after you become exempt or just go away.?.?

My guess is the vin is still flagged and needs to be cleared.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I havnt tried to get re-inspected because I don't want to be called to a MAC center. my first failure I didn't have to go to one.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member

This is what happened to my friend about 3 years ago, was a complete nightmare.

Longtubes came off, went back to stock, got inspected...put the long tubes back on. Hasn't had any problems since though.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I went to see Pete at Performance Dyno in NH last Tuesday, July 18. He did a complete tune and dyno'd my car. He turned on all the monitors that were disabled by Southern tuner. I drove car for maybe 40 miles through a few by-the-book "drive cycles". I then checked with my OBD program on my laptop and my monitors appear all reset except for one (EVAP). But I can have one disabled and still pass in Rhode Island. I go for inspection tomorrow and will post results.

Pete is a hard-working clever guy. He said he first noticed this emissions bullshit issue about 10 years ago and decided to specialize in it. He seems to really know his stuff.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Got my Rhode Island inspection completed today! What a PITA, but at least I have the stupid sticker now. You gotta wonder if this is all necessary, or is this just a money-grab by the blue states????
InspectionSticker.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread