2017 Inspection; MAC

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has gotten their inspection yet. I've never had an issue up until this year at my shop. I know this shit ass state of MA has just upped the restrictions with inspections. Well I got my first R and have to go to a MAC center. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm guessing I'll have to throw my stock mid back in and flash back. Can I go to a high flow catted pipe and a new tune to avoid this in the future?

This blows. Can't stand it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howie8124

Established Member
HA- I just went to get a sticker today and got an R with referral to the MAC too. I should have known that I should have had the car returned before hand but I needed any sticker to get through the next few months, I was overdue on an out of state sticker.

You'll need to get the car retuned, have legal tint, some cats hi flow should be ok, no DR's,etc... I went through it a few years ago. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

joker21705

Established Member
All about who you know, you know a shop that does inspections you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
All about who you know, you know a shop that does inspections you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that isn't the case now. Like I said in my OP. This will be my third year going to that same shop and this is the first year I've had a problem.

So hi-flow cats are alright? I'm thinking I'll just end up doing that then. Really don't wanna go back to my stock mid if I don't have to.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Pretty sure that isn't the case now. Like I said in my OP. This will be my third year going to that same shop and this is the first year I've had a problem.

So hi-flow cats are alright? I'm thinking I'll just end up doing that then. Really don't wanna go back to my stock mid if I don't have to.

Yup. Done it. Avoid the Bourne Mac center. The guy is a pickle puffer.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has gotten their inspection yet. I've never had an issue up until this year at my shop. I know this shit ass state of MA has just upped the restrictions with inspections. Well I got my first R and have to go to a MAC center. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm guessing I'll have to throw my stock mid back in and flash back. Can I go to a high flow catted pipe and a new tune to avoid this in the future?

This blows. Can't stand it here.

What is the reason? Monitors off?

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
HA- I just went to get a sticker today and got an R with referral to the MAC too. I should have known that I should have had the car returned before hand but I needed any sticker to get through the next few months, I was overdue on an out of state sticker.

You'll need to get the car retuned, have legal tint, some cats hi flow should be ok, no DR's,etc... I went through it a few years ago. Not ideal but not the end of the world.
The mac center is only concerned with the OB2 that caused the failure. The rest is safety. The mac center plugs into the computer and is looking
for all the monitors to be set and may do a visual of the cats. The MAC removes the flag and you return to your traditional inspection station for your sticker.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
The mac center is only concerned with the OB2 that caused the failure. The rest is safety. The mac center plugs into the computer and is looking
for all the monitors to be set and may do a visual of the cats. The MAC removes the flag and you return to your traditional inspection station for your sticker.

Done it? You mean you've been inspected with hi flow cats and haven't had a problem? And yea I mean last year i was fine. My OBD2 was plugged into and everything. No issue. I knew I heard somewhere that this year they changed it. So everything went through and the sheet printed with the big ol R. They said everything checked out except for my 02 sensor check. I still have the sensors in my Lethal pipe but they might be disabled by the tune.

Either way it's a pain in my ass. Don't wanna **** with putting my big ass stock pipe on. So I might just pick up a high flow X and re tune. Call it a day. **** that back and forth shit.

This state can suck my ass

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Done it? You mean you've been inspected with hi flow cats and haven't had a problem? And yea I mean last year i was fine. My OBD2 was plugged into and everything. No issue. I knew I heard somewhere that this year they changed it. So everything went through and the sheet printed with the big ol R. They said everything checked out except for my 02 sensor check. I still have the sensors in my Lethal pipe but they might be disabled by the tune.

Either way it's a pain in my ass. Don't wanna **** with putting my big ass stock pipe on. So I might just pick up a high flow X and re tune. Call it a day. **** that back and forth shit.

This state can suck my ass

All monitors need to be set. I have an 04 Cobra. I am not sure what the lag is in the state computer system is.
Cars were passing with some monitors shut off. The state system caught the previous errors and now wants to see the car.

howie8124

Established Member

When I went two years ago they inspected the entire car. They even pulled the model number off my Vortech that I had on it to ensure it was 50 state legal. He checked tint and tires along with lights ect ect...

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
When I went two years ago they inspected the entire car. They even pulled the model number off my Vortech that I had on it to ensure it was 50 state legal. He checked tint and tires along with lights ect ect...
I also went two years ago. The only thing he was concerned with was all my monitors were set. He made a have ass comment that the previous inspection station should have failed me for window tint and my nitto drag radials. Some of the mac places are tougher than others. He reported the inspection station inspite of saying he didn't really care.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Did you go beyond 60 days with the R. If you correct it within 60 days you return to the original IS because you already passed safety and paid for the
sticker

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I also went two years ago. The only thing he was concerned with was all my monitors were set. He made a have ass comment that the previous inspection station should have failed me for window tint and my nitto drag radials. Some of the mac places are tougher than others. He reported the inspection station inspite of saying he didn't really care.
Yeah, dude definitely sounds like a pickle puffer for sure.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
I don't know if it true. But it was mentioned that the Medford location is "mustang friendly". I think if you tape 5 C notes to the obd2 port that thinks go smoothly.

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
you can't have more than two monitors unsupported. When's the last time you updated your tune?

If you went to a mod friendly shop to get a sticker, you have them read the car first before plugging in. This way you'll know if it's going to fail and avoid going to the MAC Center

Good luck at MAC. I had a friend go with long tubes, made him take it all off, go back to stock before they'd pass him. They'll do a visual inspection of the whole car.

LOL at the MA hate, look around, its horrible every where now.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
you can't have more than two monitors unsupported. When's the last time you updated your tune?

If you went to a mod friendly shop to get a sticker, you have them read the car first before plugging in. This way you'll know if it's going to fail and avoid going to the MAC Center

Good luck at MAC. I had a friend go with long tubes, made him take it all off, go back to stock before they'd pass him. They'll do a visual inspection of the whole car.

LOL at the MA hate, look around, its horrible every where now.

Well thankfully I haven't gone that far yet. I still have my stock mid, I could throw on and go back to the catted tune. I would think that wouldn't be an issue. My tune is from last year if I recall. I'll reach out to Lund and see if he's got any info on an updated tune. Can tuners update their tunes to make it comply with this new check?

I'd much rather just get a hi-flow catted mid and utilize the 02 sensors properly if it'll avoid the headache of future inspections. I'm assuming the state just wants to make sure you're following emissions strictly.

And yea the shop inspector told me he could have caught it beforehand. But I didn't really care at the time. It's whatever. It's not the end of the world. Just want to attack it the best/easiest way possible and move on with my life.

Users who are viewing this thread