2017 and Up F250-350 Death Wobble!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Anyone know how much up/down play is allowable in the drag link ends? I would like to check them with a dial indicator to see what they are and compare to whatever Ford spec is. I’ve heard there should be some up and down movement, but a number would be nice to go off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have low mileage,, odds of tie rod end being cause is very low,,

what's non servicable now? just no grease fitting?

or ford's wonderfull rubber joint socket ?

look at upper shock rubbers,
you only need to pull down on fender while watching top and bottom
top is the more common to have play,

if I recall, that metal washer over the top may not go down shaft past threads,

I think its to not over tighten

shock rubbers are hard to find without buying a shock

I did a repair on a jeep,, used a rubber exhaust hanger cut to size
10 dollar fix

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
you have low mileage,, odds of tie rod end being cause is very low,,

what's non servicable now? just no grease fitting?

Yes, the new revised parts from Ford are serviceable now. The ones on the truck now are do not have a grease fitting.

or ford's wonderfull rubber joint socket ?

The new track bar I purchased has heim joints with some stout mounting hardware.

look at upper shock rubbers,
you only need to pull down on fender while watching top and bottom
top is the more common to have play,

Will do.

if I recall, that metal washer over the top may not go down shaft past threads,

I think its to not over tighten

shock rubbers are hard to find without buying a shock

I did a repair on a jeep,, used a rubber exhaust hanger cut to size
10 dollar fix

rborden

Established Member
Yep. A friend of mine’s 2020 F-250 does this crap and the dumbass techs at Ford couldn’t figure it out.

These vid links are temporary so watch them quickly. Weirdest shit I have ever seen. He hits a bump and the front end starts vibrating and hopping.

Last edited:

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
If anyone is looking for a PMF track bar, I have one sitting in my garage. It was an early one that they changed the ends on and I have the ends, just never put them on. I used it until Carli built and sent me one of theirs. Mine is a 2017, not sure how many years it will fit. PM if any interest.
IMG_1477 1.jpg

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If anyone is looking for a PMF track bar, I have one sitting in my garage. It was an early one that they changed the ends on and I have the ends, just never put them on. I used it until Carli built and sent me one of theirs. Mine is a 2017, not sure how many years it will fit. PM if any interest.
View attachment 1691181

I wish I would’ve known this a month ago! Mine just came in last week.

hotcobra03

Established Member

these are the spots to look at

bolts going in these were always loose in sleeve

pivot bushings
radius arms
shock top rubber,
track bar

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Changed out the drag link ends and put my adjustable PMF track bar. Just waiting on the dual stabilizer kit to come in. The track bar seemed to make the steering feel more firm if that makes any sense. The original track bar didn’t seem to have any wear.

I am going to have an alignment done after all of this is done.

beau t

Established Member
i was talking to a guy yesterday with a 2020 f350 sw with 23xxx miles on his, just had the recall done on Thursday and his exact words were I'm thinking about putting a aftermarket lift kit on it to replace with beefed up parts. My question is does this solve the problem or does it depend on who installs the kit -(ex) setting up front diff/rotating for a better angle? Edit- not exactly what i was trying to convey but the shaft angle was the best thing i could think of.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
i was talking to a guy yesterday with a 2020 f350 sw with 23xxx miles on his, just had the recall done on Thursday and his exact words were I'm thinking about putting a aftermarket lift kit on it to replace with beefed up parts. My question is does this solve the problem or does it depend on who installs the kit -(ex) setting up front diff/rotating for a better angle? Edit- not exactly what i was trying to convey but the shaft angle was the best thing i could think of.

Aftermarket lift kits can make it worse on these trucks from what I have read. There are so many things that can contribute to this as pointed out by many other members. If the lift is done correctly, it shouldn’t be an issue, but I don’t know what beefed up parts he is planning to put on that he thinks will correct it.

My truck is completely stock and everything seems to be tight, especially now with a new drag link and aftermarket track bar made by PMF. I plan on taking my truck down the road today where I’ve had death wobble to see what it does even though I haven’t had an alignment done yet.

beau t

Established Member
Aftermarket lift kits can make it worse on these trucks from what I have read. There are so many things that can contribute to this as pointed out by many other members. If the lift is done correctly, it shouldn’t be an issue, but I don’t know what beefed up parts he is planning to put on that he thinks will correct it.

My truck is completely stock and everything seems to be tight, especially now with a new drag link and aftermarket track bar made by PMF. I plan on taking my truck down the road today where I’ve had death wobble to see what it does even though I haven’t had an alignment done yet.

Great response that is the kind of info i was looking for, I noticed many posters mentioned the PMF track bar, i don't feel like he wanted the truck lifted he just didn't want to go through the wobble again lol. i will pass on the track bar info to him if the replaced recall parts don't cure it. Thanks again!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Great response that is the kind of info i was looking for, I noticed many posters mentioned the PMF track bar, i don't feel like he wanted the truck lifted he just didn't want to go through the wobble again lol. i will pass on the track bar info to him if the replaced recall parts don't cure it. Thanks again!

I reached out to Trevor at PMF fabrication and he suggested the track bar, the dual stabilizer and also the alignments cams that will allow for more castor. I know the track bar seemed to make the truck feel more planted when driving it last night. It does away with the ball joint and the rubber bushing. It uses insanely heavy heim joints at both ends.

The PMF dual stabilizer kit is another one you should suggest up to your buddy. Mine should be here on Tuesday. I have read about several people putting this so called band aid on and never having death wobble again, at least until it reappeared and they would find one of their stabilizer shocks blown.

I read on a forum last night where someone had their track bar replaced, both front shocks ,the front end aligned a couple times and multiple other things done. He broke down and bought the dual stabilizer, problem gone. It came back about 20,000 miles later and he found one shock on the dual stabilizer blown and the oem stabilizer blown.

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Just took the truck down the interstate in both spots where I had death wobble with the pmf track bar and new drag link and had no death wobble. The truck definitely feels more planted now.

Alignment and dual stabilizer and I hope it’s gone for good.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Just took the truck down the interstate in both spots where I had death wobble with the pmf track bar and new drag link and had no death wobble. The truck definitely feels more planted now.

With those heims it’s amazing how much play is gone and you never realized was there to begin with, other than the shaking you to death after a bump:)

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

Glad that did it! Trevor is a great guy and has always been helpful even with my 100 questions lol

I wonder why the 17+ seem to get it much worse? There isn't a huge design difference that I'm aware of, but obviously something different. The 4-link completely eliminated mine, and I think I'm even still on the factory steering linkages, now at ~190k. I suspect the caster change was more important than we realize.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad that did it! Trevor is a great guy and has always been helpful even with my 100 questions lol

I wonder why the 17+ seem to get it much worse? There isn't a huge design difference that I'm aware of, but obviously something different. The 4-link completely eliminated mine, and I think I'm even still on the factory steering linkages, now at ~190k. I suspect the caster change was more important than we realize.

I’m still doing the dual stabilizer and have an alignment scheduled at a body shop here in town this Friday. Yes, Trevor makes some high quality parts for sure.

I have read that the frames on the 2017 and up are much more rigid and heavier, which contributes more to the death wobble. How, I don’t know, but plan on reading more into this. There are so many reports of low mileage 2017 and up Superduty’s having this issue.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Got the dual stabilizer installed tonight from PMF. I took the single Fox stabilizer I put on back last year. I drove the truck down the road tonight and with the dual billsteins, it felt great and the steering wasn’t as stiff. I felt no bump steer at all.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Just a quick follow up:

I had the truck aligned after installing the dual stabilizer, both drag link ends and track bar. I took it to a body shop that is well trusted for the alignment. I talked to they guy for about 15 minutes about what I had going on. He was very familiar with death wobble. He rebalanced both front tires, checked the front end over and found nothing else loose. The alignment was a little out, but not much. He drove the truck down the road in the same spots that I had the death wobble and repeated this several times and couldn’t get the truck to “death wobble”. I have drove the truck quite a bit since doing all of this. The steering feels more stable with the dual stabilizer kit. Not bump steer or death wobble. It’s a pleasure to drive this truck now.

Users who are viewing this thread