EditorTurner

Established Member
0-2016-Shelby-GT350-Track-Tour-Featured.jpg

Return Road
The Shelby GT350 Track Tour returns to four new racetracks in 2016
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Ford Motor Company

If you saw our coverage of last year’s Shelby GT350 Track Tour event series, you know that Ford Performance selected a group of potential Shelby GT350 customers for a special opportunity to ride in and, more importantly, drive the amazing Shelby GT350 on a few road courses throughout the country. Well, the 2016 GT350 North American Track Tour is back at four new tracks and invitations have started arriving.

“Coming off the heels of the very successful 2015 GT350 North American Track Tour, we at Ford Performance are pleased to announce that we are continuing into 2016 with four additional road courses,” says the invitation letter. “Starting in March, the 2016 North American Track Tour will offer invitees the opportunity to experience a ride and drive in the Shelby GT350. As an original owner of a 2015 or 2016 Shelby GT350, we invite you to consider participating in this exclusive event...”

Not to be confused with the Shelby GT350 Track Attack performance driving school at the Utah Motorsports campus that we recently told you about, the Track Tour brings the GT350s and GT350Rs to a road course near you so that you may learn more about them and briefly sample their road-course prowess.

This year’s four events will be held from late March through mid-July at the following facilities:

• Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Phoenix, Arizona on March 22-23, 2016

• Buttonwillow Raceway in Buttonwillow, California on May 4-5, 2016

• Pocono Raceway in Pocono, Pennsylvania on May 18-19, 2016

• Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville, Georgia on July 14-15, 2016

If you are lucky enough to receive an invitation, you’ll want to register on the official site right here as soon as possible, as the available slots will fill up quickly. And, take it from us, you don’t want to miss this opportunity.

1-2016-Shelby-GT350-Track-Tour.jpg

The 2016 North American GT350 Track Tour will bring its exclusive Shelby GT350 ride and drive experience to four new tracks this year. If you are lucky enough to score an invite, don’t miss out on this event.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be in Phoenix...anyone else? Fingers crossed a RS or track key 350 will show up.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a great time in Phoenix. This car is amazing! There is a long straight after turn 1 where they told us to run it up to redline and re-iterated to fight your urge to shift. It was nice to see the folks at Ford Performance are just as passionate about these cars as us enthusiasts are. I got to meet (Henry?) Ford, real nice guy and he signed some of the owners cars that drove to the event. My car for the day was a Magnetic R with black stripe and electronics pack.

AZBOSS

Established Member
I was there in the afternoon session; don't recall hearing any brake squeal in the paddock area. Definitely none on-track. Drove 350R.

Shelbyman

Established Member
When I got the letter from Ford and the code I tried to sign up that same day for Buttonwillow on May 4-5 but it was already wait listed. Not sure how I could have signed up any earlier as you needed the code to do it. Anyway not sure if I'll get to go or not. Doubt if a lot of people will bail on this. Nice of Ford to put this on but not so good if you can't get access to it.

AZBOSS

Established Member
From a combination of my rides and instructor hot laps: excellent balance and turn-in response, extremely forgiving.

Either way 4-5 seconds slower at a track I know well than my race car but it's also 450 lbs heavier (two people) and not on fresh race tires. Only got one flying lap to work with and didn't really get to explore the limits (they asked us to use only 3rd gear). But overall I was impressed by the car. Much more grip available compared to tech pack/track pack tires/alignment.
I cannot stress "forgiving" enough as the instructor was braking at points where I would never touch the pedal but was able to recover with very minor inputs.

I think this will be an exceptionally capable car for those willing to find and push the limits.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks for responding guys. I continue to be impressed by these brakes. While those that track frequently may want a different compound or wish there could have been a thicker pad, this really looks to be a major leap beyond any stock Ford braking system to date. Good to hear.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I hope the GT is able to make it to yours. I enjoyed Jim Owens' talk and wish I would've thanked him. Have fun and get there extra early.

Users who are viewing this thread