2016 fgt

jcthorne

Established Member
My 240 number was mostly based on the 180 average sales price of the GT in 2006 and 10 years of inflation where 240 or so is the same price, 10 years later. 249,995 to keep it under a quarter mil? at that price point not sure the barrier matters that much. Now that the GT has shown Ford CAN build a world class supercar when it wants, I don't think the price barrier is as bad. 250 would still be cheaper than its competition. Interesting to speculate but with the economy where its at, not sure the timing is right for such a venture. Then again, Ford is MUCH more profitable than it was in 2005.

snakecharmer

Established Member
The next Ford supercar will not use a 5.8l. It will be a showcase of Ford's green technology. Look for a turbo V6 with 4 wheel hybrid drive units. Possibly plug in tech.

This would yield computer controlled AWD, Full plug in hybrid fuel economy and a world class performance. Easily in the 600 plus HP range with the hybrid drive and combustion combined, maybe much more.

Light, fast, 80+ eMPG could be quite a car.

I hope you are wrong on that, but I fear you might be right. I'd love to have a Ford GT or similar type car if they bring it out again, but I will not consider any of that hybrid/green/eco-friendly shit because that crap doesn't belong in a real sports car.

jcthorne

Established Member
If what you want is a Ford GT with its lack of driver aides and green tech, why don't you get one? They are available. There is no need for Ford to repeat the past and they have said the 'retro' fad is over.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
sorry to be a thread killer here but the GT will never be made again. the design and shape of the car do not meet the 2007 federal crash test standards. that is why the car was not made after 2006....

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
I think any new Ford GT created should be created with the same idea as all the others, to create shock and awe in the car market. Make Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini run home and cry to their mommies using the most advanced American engineering available.

Cool little fact, the GT-40 MK IV was built using the latest technology in aerodynamics from modern jets at the time.

the body of the GT-40 was designed by Lola :read:

Ford and Shelby designed every thing else....

KILRSVT

Established Member
I can't even relate how much those things cost still ... To this date I am still in awe of one when I see one on the road

JOESBOSS

Established Member
I'd love to see ford make another supercar. And looking back at the TT V6 idea look back at what Jaguar did with the XJ220 /S 600+rwhp from a 90's TT V6. You don't always need a V8/10/12/W12/16 to power a supercar. I would also like think that ford America save ford Australia's V8 Falcon.

chuckstang

Established Member
I was watching "Rides" last night and thought, why did or has not Ford built the Shelby GR1 or the Shelby Cobra concept?

I love Mustangs but I am getting a little bored with all the different Mustangs and Ford not having a non Mustang Halo car to dream about.

SVTCobra1993

Established Member
I love Mustangs but I am getting a little bored with all the different Mustangs and Ford not having a non Mustang Halo car to dream about.

In some way, it's currently being their bliss. Without a halo car that would probably cost over $100,000, the Mustang is basically free in terms of power. They can make it as powerful as they can because there's no risk of internal competition with a more expensive vehicle, unlike what happens at GM and Chrysler.

67bigblock

Established Member
sorry to be a thread killer here but the GT will never be made again. the design and shape of the car do not meet the 2007 federal crash test standards. that is why the car was not made after 2006....

Well articulated.
That's exactly what I'd been told.
Used examples can be had for 125-200 which is still WAY less than many exotics.
They may build an FGT again but it won't look anywhere near the same.
And they are crazy fast.
And very stable.
And aesthetically they are timeless.
For sure a car every domestic guy gravitates to and aspires to own.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I hope you are wrong on that, but I fear you might be right. I'd love to have a Ford GT or similar type car if they bring it out again, but I will not consider any of that hybrid/green/eco-friendly shit because that crap doesn't belong in a real sports car.

ever head of the 918 spyder...

yeah that will beat the piss out of a zr1, FGT, ACR, lp700-4, 458, zonda

you name it that hybrid is that damn fast

Jroc

Established Member
IMO Ford doesn't need to build another limited run/production car to compete head to head with Ferrari's, Lambo's and highend Porsches, but a more budget minded higher production vehicle that can compete head to head with Vettes, Vipers, GTR's, etc.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
I am all for an all new eco-friendly car. So long as it performs, more power to them.

The only thing I will miss is the growl of a healthy V-8.

nickf2005

Established Member
I could see them doing something Jaguar "like" that will run with a ZR1.

2010-jaguar-xk-r_4.jpg

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
IMO Ford doesn't need to build another limited run/production car to compete head to head with Ferrari's, Lambo's and highend Porsches, but a more budget minded higher production vehicle that can compete head to head with Vettes, Vipers, GTR's, etc.

Ditto. I wish Ford would offer something in this category. Make it AWD please.

Users who are viewing this thread