2014 Shelby GT500

Para81

Established Member
If they add a color then I would want the dark green available on the explorer.

Some minor option changes may occur in MY '14, but really all the changes in '15 will be a result of the complete redesign of the mustang (if Ford doesn't wait a wait to create the new GT500). After that there will be small changes from year to year or every other year until the next major redesign.

Yah of all colors it's a bit ridicolous you can't get a Shelby or Boss302 in that dark highland green - classic mustang color. It would be like Porsche not having silver available on their new lineup.

Para81

Established Member
Other companies are going with smaller displacement. I bet FORD goes with a twin turbo 5.0 that can pull 28 mpg in a 3700 mustang with IRS. At least that's what I would do. I would also can the Shelby name. He did nothing but put his name on the car. My car is a 2011 SVT GT500 Cobra that Shelby put his name on.

Back in that day he took a American V8 and put it in a British body. He made neither. He's an over glorified racer and car builder (cough) that put his name on anything that cut him a check. What a concept? we all try to cut weight. They started this long before Shelby. The name has a nice ring and we all got hard ons for the original Cobra and some of the early 66-69 GT500 cars. He's a Roush or a Saleen. Wait Saleen made his own car that actually kicked ass but he did borrow a motor from chevy.

Most ignorant post i've ever read, it's amazing how many ignorant kooks we have here. :beer:

Para81

Established Member
First of all, the Saleen S7 you are referring to had an engine based on a Ford Clevor (Windsor style block with Cleveland style cylinder heads). That error fits right in with the your shallow, jealous, hateful, misinformed, adolescent rant about Carroll Shelby.

Carroll went through engineering and flight school in the Air Force, and was a test pilot (test-flying planes that were repaired after being damaged in battle) in WWII. The man had more skills and guts than you know.

That "over glorified racer" earned his reputation the hard way. He drove his first sports car race in a friends MG and won. He did so well he caught the attention of some larger teams. You don't get hired to drive Ferrari's and Maserati's unless you have proven your skills. If you need further proof of his legitimacy, consider he won the 24 hours of LeMans as a driver in 1959. He also had the vision to look beyond driving to learn how these teams were pulling together the engineering and driving talent to build a winning team, a skill he would exercise later in his career.

You are correct that he matched a Ford engine to an AC body to create the Cobra, but that in no way takes away from performance of that car or the accomplishment of making that car happen on a mass production scale. Nevermind Shelby's ability to pull the right people together to make the engineering changes necessary to make that car a winner on the racetrack.

While we're talking about the racetrack, don't forget when Ford wanted to beat Ferrari, their first vehicle, built by Ford of Europe, never won a single race and often didn't even finish! Who did Ford turn to when the project was an embarrassing flop? Ford gave the GT(40) to Carroll Shelby and his team and asked them to turn the lemon into gold, and that's exactly what they did. How does 1-2-3 at LeMans sound?

Sure, Shelby was a salesman and marketing ace. He did generate a lot of revenue from his name, but what is wrong with that? It only happens because his name has VALUE (otherwise people wouldn't pay for it). If you are jealous or think he was somehow greedy by virtue of his success, consider the amount of money that has been donated to the Carroll Shelby Foundation to help children who need organ transplants. More good has been done in because of his namesake than you will ever know.

You may still be saying, "I don't care how he earned his stripes or what good he has done for others, he hasn't helped me directly in any way, so I don't care". Remember that even though Shelby didn't perform any of the hands-on engineering for the current model, his personality and contribution to Ford and the automotive industry provided the INSPIRATION for the vehicle. For the 2013 model, the 200 mph top speed goal was a target inspired by Shelby. While many of us don't care about the top speed, that goal is what necessitated the 650+ horsepower we all do enjoy.

Before you trash someone of Carroll Shelby's legend, I urge to you pick up a book and learn a lot more about him. It might make you appreciate not only what he's done, but how he did it.

Faith restored, thank you sir.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Heard from Ford...no 5.0 for
2015 , ECO-Boost 3.5 instead, this is not a rumor.

Not a fat chance in Hell brotard! Maybe in a foreign market but never here in the good ole USA. That motor has caused more positive press than anything else Ford has done in a long time. They aren't gonna give it up after 4 years.

On the foreign market subject though... how long before we see a diesel Mustang in the European market?!

mgmustang1

Established Member
They did go from a 5.4 to a 5.0 in the cobra jets. So it is possible.

I would love a 2013 but im just glad I have a Shelby, and an 03 cobra. Would I give up both for the 13' or 14', No.

It also wouldn't be the same to have a 2015 or later Shelby without Carroll Shelby's approval.

Users who are viewing this thread