2014 Shelby GT500

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I know Shelby has the copyright on the Cobra logo, at least the ones with his name.

CSL_com-intel_10.gif
Yeah you'd be right about that. They probably do own the snake too. I'm sure Ford has to pay for the licensing.

Once you throw an automatic into the car, you will lose it to the wife. Just ask the Corvette husbands.
Lmao! So true. I can't imagine them putting an auto into the GT500 until 2015 though. They won't do a major redesign like that with only 1 year left.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
the deal with shelby is good thru 2016....if you go by history most of the time when a new platform or boyd is introduced there is no flagship mustang until year or two later...so I doubt we see a shelby in 2015. As far as the 5.0 going bye bye, doubt that, its a cash cow. I can see a twin turbo version 5.0 as the new cobra motor though....hmmm

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Hopefully someone in the "Know" can chime in but I heard from a buddy of mine that NO 2015 Shelby and the bored out 5.4 is gone. He heard they are testing Ecoboost 5.0 motors and possible some sort of bored out 5.0 engine. I asked about the 2013 and 2014 model and he said if you want a real muscle car get the 2013 and 2014. He also said if you want a more "refined" mustang wait for the 2015. For 2015 the mustang will be marketed globally. All I know is he is the same guy that told me about the 2011 having an aluminum engine before the 2010 models came out. Oh he also has a 2013 Shelby........:shrug:

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
the deal with shelby is good thru 2016....if you go by history most of the time when a new platform or boyd is introduced there is no flagship mustang until year or two later...so I doubt we see a shelby in 2015. As far as the 5.0 going bye bye, doubt that, its a cash cow. I can see a twin turbo version 5.0 as the new cobra motor though....hmmm
New Cobra motor as in SVT or Shelby?

Hopefully someone in the "Know" can chime in but I heard from a buddy of mine that NO 2015 Shelby and the bored out 5.4 is gone. He heard they are testing Ecoboost 5.0 motors and possible some sort of bored out 5.0 engine. I asked about the 2013 and 2014 model and he said if you want a real muscle car get the 2013 and 2014. He also said if you want a more "refined" mustang wait for the 2015. For 2015 the mustang will be marketed globally. All I know is he is the same guy that told me about the 2011 having an aluminum engine before the 2010 models came out. Oh he also has a 2013 Shelby........:shrug:
I couldn't imagine Shelby dropping a big motor for the smaller 5.0 with turbo's. Carol Shelby would roll over in his grave!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member

agree with this

New Cobra motor as in SVT or Shelby?

I couldn't imagine Shelby dropping a big motor for the smaller 5.0 with turbo's. Carol Shelby would roll over in his grave!

that remains to be seen....

Dont think they buried him yet. They still have time :p

ouch!:uh oh:

Jroc

Established Member

Guess I was wrong. Does your friends 01 have one or was it just a 2003 thing? I'm almost positive than it was done away with in 04. In fact I've driven 04 Cobras and none ever had it. The only Edges I can recall seeing them in were the 03 cobras. I use to know someone with a 03 GT coupe and I don't remember it having one, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Adam03GT

Established Member
Yeah it was just a little jokey joke on my part. Thats the net thing in my old 03 Cobra.

03 Cobra coupes were the only Mustangs to ever get them. No v6, GT, Mach 1, or even 04 Cobra coupe got that piece.

Noone really knows why Ford introduced that piece for one year on one model and then did away with it for the last year of the same car.

In a L there was a little panel in the lower driver side dash that was in the 99 L and then was done away with in the 00/01/02 Lightnings just to be reintroduced in the 03 /04 Lightnings.

Completely wrong lol. My 01 V6, 03 GT, and 03 Mach 1 had the net :read:

Lemers

Established Member
Shelby owns the "cobra" Emblem and has a cobra model

Ford owns GT500 and has used Shelby GT350 Shelby Cobra GT350 and Cobra

When Ford used Cobra in the '80s it was not in connection with Shelby so it seems that Ford can use "Cobra" without Shelby permission.

Also if Ford is paying big money to use "Shelby" then I don't see why they wouldn't slap it at anything above the GT model in 2015. Even if they manage to shoehorn the 5.8 or FI a 5.0.

backinastang

Established Member
Other companies are going with smaller displacement. I bet FORD goes with a twin turbo 5.0 that can pull 28 mpg in a 3700 mustang with IRS. At least that's what I would do. I would also can the Shelby name. He did nothing but put his name on the car. My car is a 2011 SVT GT500 Cobra that Shelby put his name on.

Back in that day he took a American V8 and put it in a British body. He made neither. He's an over glorified racer and car builder (cough) that put his name on anything that cut him a check. What a concept? we all try to cut weight. They started this long before Shelby. The name has a nice ring and we all got hard ons for the original Cobra and some of the early 66-69 GT500 cars. He's a Roush or a Saleen. Wait Saleen made his own car that actually kicked ass but he did borrow a motor from chevy.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Shelby successfully sued Ford over Ford's use of the GT350 moniker as used on the 1984 Mustang.

Regarding who 'owns' the cobra nameplate...

LA Times said:
Carroll Shelby sued Ford over the rights to the Cobra name in 1992. The judge initially ruled in Shelby's favor on summary judgment. Ford appealed, and the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, citing errors by the district court judge, set aside the judgment and sent the case back to the trial court to be reconsidered.

Before any resolution took place there, Shelby and Ford settled: Ford retained worldwide rights to the Cobra name, while Shelby obtained exclusive rights to use the name in association with the cars he developed in the 1960s and any reproductions of those vehicles.
Big Court Battle Shaping Up Over Firms' Cobra Knockoffs - Los Angeles Times

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
... I would also can the Shelby name. He did nothing but put his name on the car. My car is a 2011 SVT GT500 Cobra that Shelby put his name on.

Back in that day he took a American V8 and put it in a British body. He made neither. He's an over glorified racer and car builder (cough) that put his name on anything that cut him a check. What a concept? we all try to cut weight. They started this long before Shelby. The name has a nice ring and we all got hard ons for the original Cobra and some of the early 66-69 GT500 cars. He's a Roush or a Saleen. Wait Saleen made his own car that actually kicked ass but he did borrow a motor from chevy.

First of all, the Saleen S7 you are referring to had an engine based on a Ford Clevor (Windsor style block with Cleveland style cylinder heads). That error fits right in with the your shallow, jealous, hateful, misinformed, adolescent rant about Carroll Shelby.

Carroll went through engineering and flight school in the Air Force, and was a test pilot (test-flying planes that were repaired after being damaged in battle) in WWII. The man had more skills and guts than you know.

That "over glorified racer" earned his reputation the hard way. He drove his first sports car race in a friends MG and won. He did so well he caught the attention of some larger teams. You don't get hired to drive Ferrari's and Maserati's unless you have proven your skills. If you need further proof of his legitimacy, consider he won the 24 hours of LeMans as a driver in 1959. He also had the vision to look beyond driving to learn how these teams were pulling together the engineering and driving talent to build a winning team, a skill he would exercise later in his career.

You are correct that he matched a Ford engine to an AC body to create the Cobra, but that in no way takes away from performance of that car or the accomplishment of making that car happen on a mass production scale. Nevermind Shelby's ability to pull the right people together to make the engineering changes necessary to make that car a winner on the racetrack.

While we're talking about the racetrack, don't forget when Ford wanted to beat Ferrari, their first vehicle, built by Ford of Europe, never won a single race and often didn't even finish! Who did Ford turn to when the project was an embarrassing flop? Ford gave the GT(40) to Carroll Shelby and his team and asked them to turn the lemon into gold, and that's exactly what they did. How does 1-2-3 at LeMans sound?

Sure, Shelby was a salesman and marketing ace. He did generate a lot of revenue from his name, but what is wrong with that? It only happens because his name has VALUE (otherwise people wouldn't pay for it). If you are jealous or think he was somehow greedy by virtue of his success, consider the amount of money that has been donated to the Carroll Shelby Foundation to help children who need organ transplants. More good has been done in because of his namesake than you will ever know.

You may still be saying, "I don't care how he earned his stripes or what good he has done for others, he hasn't helped me directly in any way, so I don't care". Remember that even though Shelby didn't perform any of the hands-on engineering for the current model, his personality and contribution to Ford and the automotive industry provided the INSPIRATION for the vehicle. For the 2013 model, the 200 mph top speed goal was a target inspired by Shelby. While many of us don't care about the top speed, that goal is what necessitated the 650+ horsepower we all do enjoy.

Before you trash someone of Carroll Shelby's legend, I urge to you pick up a book and learn a lot more about him. It might make you appreciate not only what he's done, but how he did it.

Last edited:

speedrx

Established Member
I wish they would just come out and say what the new colors will be.....

Same, although I don't think they want to divert interest from the 2013 at this point. I do expect at least one new color, maybe more, and something special to issue out the last of this model.

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
The depreciation HIT is way to much money to buy a 2013 now have 3000 miles on it then a 2014 for a color change.

Users who are viewing this thread