2014 Rear Axle Leak ?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have a 2014 and the driver's side axle tube is showing a slight coating of oil. I looked it over and there is a small bolt/plug with a hex head on the top of the axle tub about an inch from the cast iron center section. I checked and it is tight. I am wanting to remove it but want to make certain it isn't holding something in place on the inside of the axle housing.

What is this bolt/plug for?

Tom

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
That is the vent. Clean it but do not remove it. If you plug it, you can pressurize the differential/axle and cause a leak in your axle seals.

It may leak during high speed or aggessive driving. And definitely at track days on a road course.

Check your fluid level (at the front drivers side of the pumpkin) to make sure it is not overfilled. A lot of times it is filled even with the bottom of the opening. It should be down about 1/4-3/8 of an inch.

If your really serious about tracking it, there are several catch cans you can install:

JLT Rear Axle Expansion Tank (2005-14 Mustang) [JLT-AX05] - $119.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

Differential Breather Vent Catch Tank Kit 8.8 Rearend

https://bobsmachine.com/product/mustang-2005-14-axle-reservoir-kr-style/

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If it's a plug and not a vent, I would remove it, clean it and use some sort of thread sealant when you put it back. The vent on my 2012 is on top of the finned differential inspection plate. I'm not sure if they don't relocate it to the axle tube on the cars with the differential coolers. When the gear oil gets hot it expands and may have gotten high enough to cause a leak from the plug.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
That is the vent. Clean it but do not remove it. If you plug it, you can pressurize the differential/axle and cause a leak in your axle seals.

It may leak during high speed or aggessive driving. And definitely at track days on a road course.

Check your fluid level (at the front drivers side of the pumpkin) to make sure it is not overfilled. A lot of times it is filled even with the bottom of the opening. It should be down about 1/4-3/8 of an inch.

If your really serious about tracking it, there are several catch cans you can install:

JLT Rear Axle Expansion Tank (2005-14 Mustang) [JLT-AX05] - $119.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

Differential Breather Vent Catch Tank Kit 8.8 Rearend

Mustang 2005-14 axle reservoir "KR" style - Bob's Machine

100% not the vent. Vent is on top of the diff cover. This looks like the head of a bolt. 6 sides.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If it's a plug and not a vent, I would remove it, clean it and use some sort of thread sealant when you put it back. The vent on my 2012 is on top of the finned differential inspection plate. I'm not sure if they don't relocate it to the axle tube on the cars with the differential coolers. When the gear oil gets hot it expands and may have gotten high enough to cause a leak from the plug.

The vent is in the same location as yours, on top of the diff cover.

My guess is this may be the vent location on a GT or base model if they use this rear end. I'm just nervous about removing the bolt/plug and it holding something in place INSIDE the axle tube.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread