2014 mustang gt FAILED EMISSIONS twice

svt_cobra01

Established Member
I need to desperately get my vehicle to pass emissions in las vegas NV. My car is catless with a offroad X pipe, and cold air intake with a basic 91 tune from SCT. As far as i know they dont do a visual inspection at all from the 3 times ive attempted to pass. Each time my computer is saying not ready for everything but My question is to know if its possible to pass on this tune if i clear the codes with my tuner and go through the drive cycles or do i need to put the computer back to stock and then drive long enough for the computer to show ready???

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Not positive, but I think you're going to have to put the cats back on and revert everything, including the PCM, back to stock.
Someone with more experience with this matter will have better info.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
It's saying "Not Ready" because you have a bunch of monitors turned off in the tune. Your best bet at this point is to find a tuner in your area who can guide you to your best option.

Lots of us here have played this "Pass Emissions" game. I played it when I bought my Roush a few years back. The first tuner I went to was steering me in the totally wrong direction, he said to keep driving it to set the monitors - BUT THEY WERE TURNED OFF IN THE TUNE - and he couldn't even figure that out, doh.

Then I found a great guy who actually knew what he was doing and he figured it out in about 5 seconds on the first phone call. I took my car to his place and he whipped up a "Emissions" tune, plus he saved my original "Power" tune on SCT device, so now I reload tunes back and forth when Emissions test needed.

Mine only needed monitors turned on, because I am running cats. You may need to install a pipe with cats temporarily to get monitors to set.

Hunt around for some reputable assistance, that's my $.02

svt_cobra01

Established Member
im not built on money so im looking at the easiest and least expensive work around possible first. I guess its important to mention its a “pre loaded” tune with the tuner not something custom done where everything gets turned off thats gives you bigger results. It said not ready for everything because i cleared the check engine light with the tuner and only drove 10 miles which i hear it needs to be more. Im willing to find a tuner for sure as a 2nd option if my sct tuner will be compatible. Taking off my exhaust or adding cats is not a option will be way to expensive and time consuming. Ive seen stories where people passed with catless i just need to know if its POSSIBLE to pass by running through all the driving cycles with my preloaded tune which i dout turns off all that stuff

It's saying "Not Ready" because you have a bunch of monitors turned off in the tune. Your best bet at this point is to find a tuner in your area who can guide you to your best option.

Lots of us here have played this "Pass Emissions" game. I played it when I bought my Roush a few years back. The first tuner I went to was steering me in the totally wrong direction, he said to keep driving it to set the monitors - BUT THEY WERE TURNED OFF IN THE TUNE - and he couldn't even figure that out, doh.

Then I found a great guy who actually knew what he was doing and he figured it out in about 5 seconds on the first phone call. I took my car to his place and he whipped up a "Emissions" tune, plus he saved my original "Power" tune on SCT device, so now I reload tunes back and forth when Emissions test needed.

Mine only needed monitors turned on, because I am running cats. You may need to install a pipe with cats temporarily to get monitors to set.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
.....Ive seen stories where people passed with catless i just need to know if its POSSIBLE to pass by running through all the driving cycles with my preloaded tune which i dout turns off all that stuff

Hey, you're in Vegas? Maybe go see the guys at Count's Cars (name?). He has that cool TV show where they build custom cars. They must have this issue all the time and I bet they have a workaround. They seem pretty decent and knowledgeable. Stroke their egos a little bit and maybe they'll give you some help for short money.

I still think you're gonna need local, experienced, knowledgeable help, someone who knows tuning and also the local regulations. I get it... you don't want to spend the money, that's totally understandable. But if you start chasing all sorts of quick fixes, then you may just end up aggravating yourself and wasting your time.

Good luck! The good news is - this should be a relatively easy fix. I mean, it's 'easy' in my opinion, maybe not yours. But it's definitely fixable without ripping the whole car apart.

LSwat

Established Member

This guy killed it. You are probably throwing the generic "not ready" code which happens when you unhook a battery. Car has to then go through drive cycles with various requirements that happen in normal everyday driving.

If you are using a canned tune that is almost certainly the problem. FWIW I did this with my old cobra a while back and someone was able to help me with a "emissions tune". You need to be careful about going an getting it tested again though ......

Where I live after 3 failed attempts you need a mechanic to actually bring the car to the emissions place and they have to explain what has been corrected before they will test it again.

You're going to want to find a local performance shop and talk to them, they are going to know the best way to handle it. I would definitely call 2 or 3 reputable shops in the area though. Get a few opinions and look for someone with experience who can explain to you exactly what's going on.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
OH, I forgot to add... if you want to invest some more time trying to get the monitors to set (assuming they are actually turned on), then be sure and follow the driving cycle shown here: Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

If you follow that Ford drive cycle list, you can get monitors to set in 25 to 50 miles. If you're lucky, they will set in under 20 miles...... ;)

crjackson

Established Member
If you follow that Ford drive cycle list, you can get monitors to set in 25 to 50 miles. If you're lucky, they will set in under 20 miles...... ;)

Jeeze, just read the drive cycle procedure. What a PITA if you don’t know how to setup the scan tool already. I’d hate to need this.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I thought LV didnt have emissions? Or was really lax on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If it's a canned tune are you still running the stock MAF and injectors? If so put the stock tune and pick up a couple mini-cats to install in front of the rear O2's.

O2 Simulators

svt_cobra01

Established Member
@svt_cobra01, any update on what you had to do to resolve the "not ready" issue?

i work 50 hours a week so my car has just been garaged until i figure it out. I found a shop called docs performance but they want $500 for a “emissions tune” where i MIGHT pass. Not sure i want to gamble $500 on that. Ive heard good things about spark plug non foulers working and people were able to pass so i will probably try that first and put my computer back to stop and hope for the best. My tags are expired last month as of now

svt_cobra01

Established Member
If it's a canned tune are you still running the stock MAF and injectors? If so put the stock tune and pick up a couple mini-cats to install in front of the rear O2's.

O2 Simulators

yes stock MAF and injectors. Just a canned tune with a cold air intake and thats it and exhaust of course. Install mini cats wont be cheap and i would have to have my stainless steel X pipe hacked up for that. Im going to try spark plug non foulers i hear i need 4 total and wont have to change anythibt but the ecu back to stock.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
yes stock MAF and injectors. Just a canned tune with a cold air intake and thats it and exhaust of course. Install mini cats wont be cheap and i would have to have my stainless steel X pipe hacked up for that. Im going to try spark plug non foulers i hear i need 4 total and wont have to change anythibt but the ecu back to stock.

Did you actually look at the link I posted? Nothing needs to be hacked up to install those. And quite a few guys have had good luck with them.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I have passed many times without cats and being tuned. You reset it so you gotta let it go through the cycles for sure, you cant just unhook your battery and go there and pass, won't happen. If you are using BAMA or something like that, you should be able to email them and they should be able to help you, they helped me pass, it took a few revisions to get my tune where it needed to be but we got it done. Otherwise, you'll need a stock tune and mil-eliminators (make your own), I have passed like that as well in the past.

blue 07

Established Member
I have had this very annoying problem after winter mods were done to my 13 GT500, 3 years in a row, so I feel your pain and frusration. Start with your tuner. Make sure the emmisions tune is actually in your tuner, mine was not from SCT and had to be installed by my tuner guy. Once that was done I've had no problems since, but you have to do the drive cycle routine. 50 to 75 miles in my case cured it. Dont get on it, drive it smooth, stay steady on the pedal and the perimeters will go away. I also remember one year bringing things back to stock, passing emmoisions and then putting it back to regular tune and then just driving it and the drive cycle fixed it again.

svt_cobra01

Established Member
I have passed many times without cats and being tuned. You reset it so you gotta let it go through the cycles for sure, you cant just unhook your battery and go there and pass, won't happen. If you are using BAMA or something like that, you should be able to email them and they should be able to help you, they helped me pass, it took a few revisions to get my tune where it needed to be but we got it done. Otherwise, you'll need a stock tune and mil-eliminators (make your own), I have passed like that as well in the past.

ive done alot more research, i ordered a pair of Vibrant o2 (J) shape non foulers after hearing alot of success with them and my same issue, not going the tune route will just install these and put my computer back to stock and drive my car around alot and hope for the best for the cell staying off. Ill update in a few weeks the results when i retest.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
ive done alot more research, i ordered a pair of Vibrant o2 (J) shape non foulers after hearing alot of success with them and my same issue, not going the tune route will just install these and put my computer back to stock and drive my car around alot and hope for the best for the cell staying off. Ill update in a few weeks the results when i retest.

Don't just drive around... follow the Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle and you will maximize your chances of success! All of mine (except EVAP) set within 20 miles in one drive, following the drive cycle instructions. Then the next day, the EVAP monitor 'set' on the way to testing center, so they were all perfect when tested. I have a diagnostic program on laptop so I can check monitor status myself.

Also, (not sure if you have this) get yourself something so you can check each monitor status yourself. Harbor Freight actually sells a cheap diagnostic tool. Plus there are many others available. That way you know they are 'set' before going to the testing center. You don't want to piss off the guys at the testing center by keep going back and forth getting tested, or they just might bust your balls somehow. Keep them happy.

Good luck!!!!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread