2014 GT500 Purchase Help

2020FordRaptor

EcoBoost lover but nothing beats a Trinity!
Established Member
I gave the performance shop a call and they were super helpful. The guy running the shop said he remembered the call and they installed a pulley/intake/exhaust on it with a Lund tune. I'm kinda leaning towards passing on it since its a 4 owner car plus mods. Gut tells me it was beaten on.
Exactly. Totally agree. Normal aftermarket products, but definitely shows it might have been drag raced. Like my Grandfather says, even though it "only" has 10k miles, that's 40,000 times to the drag strip.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You guys are scaring the crap out of this guy. lol

Either look it over yourself, higher a pre-purchase inspector, or roll the dice. I've done all three buying different cars.

Hell, my latest Viper the guy told me it had 'normal racecar wear and tear'...what the **** does that mean? haha I figured as long as it looked like the pictures, I could handle anything else that came with it so I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped in.

The one before, a really good friend of mine (and forum member), drove an hour or so to check it over. I received 100s of pictures and what not. Everything checked out. Had it shipped in, the driver's side window regulator went out on the second day, $700. On the 10th day the passenger window regulator went out $900 (why they're different, no idea. National back order now). Just one of those things.

Any time I buy ANYTHING used, I'm prepared to drop $1000-2500 fixing stuff.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
You guys are scaring the crap out of this guy. lol

Either look it over yourself, higher a pre-purchase inspector, or roll the dice. I've done all three buying different cars.

Hell, my latest Viper the guy told me it had 'normal racecar wear and tear'...what the **** does that mean? haha I figured as long as it looked like the pictures, I could handle anything else that came with it so I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped in.

The one before, a really good friend of mine (and forum member), drove an hour or so to check it over. I received 100s of pictures and what not. Everything checked out. Had it shipped in, the driver's side window regulator went out on the second day, $700. On the 10th day the passenger window regulator went out $900 (why they're different, no idea. National back order now). Just one of those things.

Any time I buy ANYTHING used, I'm prepared to drop $1000-2500 fixing stuff.
LOL also very good advice! I think it comes down to how risk averse/sensitive each of us are. Shelling out $50k from what I have saved up for a car is a lot to me and not much for others. I don't mind paying for quality - I'm just not looking to gamble at this price point. And you're probably right 13Cobra that it isn't that much of a gamble and I'm making it out to be more than it is.

I did message the dealer and passed on the car. The right one will come along - it's just not this one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL also very good advice! I think it comes down to how risk averse/sensitive each of us are. Shelling out $50k from what I have saved up for a car is a lot to me and not much for others. I don't mind paying for quality - I'm just not looking to gamble at this price point. And you're probably right 13Cobra that it isn't that much of a gamble and I'm making it out to be more than it is.

I did message the dealer and passed on the car. The right one will come along - it's just not this one.

$50k is a lot of money, please don't read anything I said in saying that it's not. You just have to know what you're willing to risk when purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. Just throw that $50k as a down-payment on a 22 GT500 and you won't have to worry about it :)

noco5.0

Established Member
I just bought a 14 GT500 with under a thousand miles. Completely stock and still had some of the factory plastic wrap in the back seat areas. There are expenses with that type of car as well, tires,tint,ppf, changed some fluids just because. On top of that the car fetched a several thousand dollar premium over the same car with ten thousand miles. Honestly I would prefer a single owner stock to lightly modified car with low but not near zero miles. I think it represents the best value. In my case this car was local and the deal with trade in etc worked out so I couldn't pass on it.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
$50k is a lot of money, please don't read anything I said in saying that it's not. You just have to know what you're willing to risk when purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. Just throw that $50k as a down-payment on a 22 GT500 and you won't have to worry about it :)
No worries bud! Newer GT500's are a bit high for my price range plus no third pedal. Yes I'm one of those MGPS nutjobs lol. No perceived judgement from my side at all. I fully recognize that we're all at different budget points and hold not animosity for those with better financial standings than myself. I'm just blessed to be able to do what I can do as I know there are many far less fortunate than myself. :)
I just bought a 14 GT500 with under a thousand miles. Completely stock and still had some of the factory plastic wrap in the back seat areas. There are expenses with that type of car as well, tires,tint,ppf, changed some fluids just because. On top of that the car fetched a several thousand dollar premium over the same car with ten thousand miles. Honestly I would prefer a single owner stock to lightly modified car with low but not near zero miles. I think it represents the best value. In my case this car was local and the deal with trade in etc worked out so I couldn't pass on it.
100% agreed that there are expenses on these types of car that I do anticipate. About the only items that I cannot do myself are tires. I don't really put tint on my cars - not my thing. I can install PPF and perform paint corrections, ceramic coatings etc as well as fluid changes in my extra garage.
I'm starting to agree with you on the single owner cars.

2020FordRaptor

EcoBoost lover but nothing beats a Trinity!
Established Member
100% agreed that there are expenses on these types of car that I do anticipate. About the only items that I cannot do myself are tires. I don't really put tint on my cars - not my thing. I can install PPF and perform paint corrections, ceramic coatings etc as well as fluid changes in my extra garage.
Just be careful, a new Trinity is $36k if you have to replace it. Ask me how I know.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
No worries bud! Newer GT500's are a bit high for my price range plus no third pedal. Yes I'm one of those MGPS nutjobs lol. No perceived judgement from my side at all. I fully recognize that we're all at different budget points and hold not animosity for those with better financial standings than myself. I'm just blessed to be able to do what I can do as I know there are many far less fortunate than myself. :)

Keep looking there are one or two owners that come up in the low 50’s every once in a while with 15-20k miles. You have to look everywhere though and daily or they are gone.

Racer0918

Established Member
Not sure how set you are on that year GT500, I know of a 2011 GT500, original owner who ordered the car in 2010, with 9000 miles and some mild mods all done at Tasca Ford in RI, he was telling us this weekend he is going to list it for sale to order the new Raptor coming out. The car is absolutely beautiful and located in CT

RRMBrembo

Established Member
Not sure how set you are on that year GT500, I know of a 2011 GT500, original owner who ordered the car in 2010, with 9000 miles and some mild mods all done at Tasca Ford in RI, he was telling us this weekend he is going to list it for sale to order the new Raptor coming out. The car is absolutely beautiful and located in CT
I am definitely interested in 11-12's as well. I love the Kona blue color.

LS WUT

Established Member
I agree with just about everyone’s advice on here. I must say though buying a low mileage car, all stock, the least amount of owners is a great thing. However like @13COBRA said. They’re still getting older now. Stupid stuff happens, even if you’re not racing the car, or driving it hard. Buying a sports car with higher HP and trying to think nobody got into the throttle isn’t really something I believe. I purchased my 13 from a dealership where I knew the owner, and he knew the original owner. Very well documented car. Always garage kept, never saw a track day, we even joked about the pointlessness of him having the upgraded coolers, etc. All I’m trying to say is I don’t feel like simple bolt ons would be the end all be all for a certain car. Almost any enthusiast who has a car like this does those things. Now if it had a ported blower, cams, things of that nature. I’d say yes, they were trying to squeeze every digit they could out of it. On that same token, look how many members on here have Whipple Blowers on their Cobras/GT500’s and done ever race them. It’s more for looks to them. Or maybe it’s the “well if I needed the power I have it” aspect. All in all, I wish you the best in your search, I don’t care if it’s a 1 Owner 5k miles, I’d still look at it yourself for a peace of mind. You seem mechanically inclined enough to see issues, and or hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread