2014 A6 drag slip.. Awful 60 ft

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
Before everything . I'm not honestly sure that this where I'm supposed to post this..

Went to the track last night with my 2014 A6 gt.. Did 5 to 6 runs and somehow I'm still unable to get a decent 60 ft . Best was 1.893 last night but I don't have the time slip

The car is on full weight... 2018 intake, pmas intake and ARH lth .. Stock rear end 3.15 and LCAs and panhard and 28 tall tires with 15 inch welds.

I tried launching from 1200 rpm to the 2100 and it seems it's better on higher rpm but I'm still on stock converterl And all the torque nannies are off too.

I just need some insight and thoughts on what I'm doing wrong

Attachments

• IMG-20200128-WA0018.jpeg
    IMG-20200128-WA0018.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 339

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a 2016 Golf R which is a similar platform.

They make a plug in that disables the rear and makes it front wheel drive. Doing this will allow u to heat the front tire up a lot better for better 60 ft.

Have u looked at a remote Tune possibly. I know here in the states United Motorsports is the place to go for the ECU/DSG and Halidex tune. Without a tune ur limited with that stock converter.

john11gt

Established Member
I have a 2016 Golf R which is a similar platform.

They make a plug in that disables the rear and makes it front wheel drive. Doing this will allow u to heat the front tire up a lot better for better 60 ft.

Have u looked at a remote Tune possibly. I know here in the states United Motorsports is the place to go for the ECU/DSG and Halidex tune. Without a tune ur limited with that stock converter.

You might be in the wrong section bud.

Op, does the car spin on the launch? If yes, that needs to be addressed first.

Otherwise, you need a different converter. If the car is still na, it’s going to be a dog out of the hole until you do.

the trap speed at 114 mph seems a tad low but that might be because you’re at full weight and/or not tuned.

You need to talk with a company and get a converter, ideally a custom converter. Your stall speed would be roughly a few hundred rpm over peak torque depending on how long you carry the power for and how many rpm drop during the shift.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I will say when my buddy had his Mercedes E55 he did swap the converter out and he did go faster but the car ran kinda shitty so he put the stock one back in. It's not very common for Audi/VW owners to change converters. Everything is done thru the tune usually.

SVTXTC

Established Member
Before everything . I'm not honestly sure that this where I'm supposed to post this..

Went to the track last night with my 2014 A6 gt.. Did 5 to 6 runs and somehow I'm still unable to get a decent 60 ft . Best was 1.893 last night but I don't have the time slip

The car is on full weight... 2018 intake, pmas intake and ARH lth .. Stock rear end 3.15 and LCAs and panhard and 28 tall tires with 15 inch welds.

I tried launching from 1200 rpm to the 2100 and it seems it's better on higher rpm but I'm still on stock converterl And all the torque nannies are off too.

I just need some insight and thoughts on what I'm doing wrong

At first read...I thought you meant a Audi A6 and that’s why your getting the VW and Mercedes comments above. When I saw you had a 2018 intake I realized A6 means Automatic 6 Speed.

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
You might be in the wrong section bud.

Op, does the car spin on the launch? If yes, that needs to be addressed first.

Otherwise, you need a different converter. If the car is still na, it’s going to be a dog out of the hole until you do.

the trap speed at 114 mph seems a tad low but that might be because you’re at full weight and/or not tuned.

You need to talk with a company and get a converter, ideally a custom converter. Your stall speed would be roughly a few hundred rpm over peak torque depending on how long you carry the power for and how many rpm drop during the shift.

not at all, i even raised the tire pressure a bit up .. it was 25 i raised it to 32 and it did feel better .. i was thinking to go higher up to 35 and give it a go next time, and yeah the trap speed seems ok since i'm on full weight and my car has panoramic roof so that's an extra weight plus mine too and i'm around 200 pounds give or take.

the car was tuned by me and all the torque nannies are off .. on the street it's an entirely different animal but on the strip it acts funny .. and i noticed that on third gear the rpm feels heavier as well.

i do have some future plans for a torque converter, but i'm still deciding on my upcoming future project.. i might be going for a turbo so i would rather wait.

and i've seen a ton of 1st gen coyotes hit the 11.8 mark and the only advantage they got is weight reduction .. interior wise of course.

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
At first read...I thought you meant a Audi A6 and that’s why your getting the VW and Mercedes comments above. When I saw you had a 2018 intake I realized A6 means Automatic 6 Speed.

haha that's my bad and i was confused when i saw your post at first lol

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
With the stock converter that's really all your going to get out of it na.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

john11gt

Established Member
not at all, i even raised the tire pressure a bit up .. it was 25 i raised it to 32 and it did feel better .. i was thinking to go higher up to 35 and give it a go next time, and yeah the trap speed seems ok since i'm on full weight and my car has panoramic roof so that's an extra weight plus mine too and i'm around 200 pounds give or take.

the car was tuned by me and all the torque nannies are off .. on the street it's an entirely different animal but on the strip it acts funny .. and i noticed that on third gear the rpm feels heavier as well.

i do have some future plans for a torque converter, but i'm still deciding on my upcoming future project.. i might be going for a turbo so i would rather wait.

and i've seen a ton of 1st gen coyotes hit the 11.8 mark and the only advantage they got is weight reduction .. interior wise of course.

I went 11.65 in my 11 gt with an exhaust and tune but it was a stick shift car.

if you plan on going FI, keep the stock converter. Blower cars (probably turbo also) do well with the stock converter.

if you’re staying NA then you WILL need a converter. These cars really like to rev, I wouldn’t be surprised if a company recommended a converter with a 6k stall or higher.

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
With the stock converter that's really all your going to get out of it na.

i know that, however i've seen more than 3 Gen 1 mustangs hit the high 11s with no suspension mods, just removed seats and boltons ..

stang910

Established Member
Your gonna have to get real aggressive with the tune down low in the rpm range. With the stock converter consistent 1.81-1.83 60's are possible and I've even seen some high 1.7 60's. Should be able to run consistent 11.9's full weight.

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
Your gonna have to get real aggressive with the tune down low in the rpm range. With the stock converter consistent 1.81-1.83 60's are possible and I've even seen some high 1.7 60's. Should be able to run consistent 11.9's full weight.

i wouldn't mind going aggressive on all rpm range just to achieve my goal lol

any tips would be appreciated, i have the advantage software and i'm not afraid to go a bit risky

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
i know that, however i've seen more than 3 Gen 1 mustangs hit the high 11s with no suspension mods, just removed seats and boltons ..

I can tell you its not the norm for autos to dip in the 11s on your current set up unless they are on a fairly aggressive tune and ran in optimal conditions. Lots of questions below but answers will give everyone a good idea of how your car is set up and performing.

- What fuel are you running?
- How much timing are you commanding/actually seeing?
- Have you tried adjusting cam angles to optimize your power?
- How high are you reving the engine, you should be shifting at 7500 plus with an 2018 manifold.

I am not familiar with Bahrain, how is the weather there? DA?? Your rear tire is to big for your current power level, if you put a 26 on there the car would 60 ft better and I bet you would get your 11.

Most guys that have been in the 11s on your set up (A6 with stock converter) have made hero runs to get there. Meaning they went out there in ideal conditions and made there passes. You are very close, keep tweaking with the tune and you will get it.

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
I can tell you its not the norm for autos to dip in the 11s on your current set up unless they are on a fairly aggressive tune and ran in optimal conditions. Lots of questions below but answers will give everyone a good idea of how your car is set up and performing.

- What fuel are you running?
- How much timing are you commanding/actually seeing?
- Have you tried adjusting cam angles to optimize your power?
- How high are you reving the engine, you should be shifting at 7500 plus with an 2018 manifold.

I am not familiar with Bahrain, how is the weather there? DA?? Your rear tire is to big for your current power level, if you put a 26 on there the car would 60 ft better and I bet you would get your 11.

Most guys that have been in the 11s on your set up (A6 with stock converter) have made hero runs to get there. Meaning they went out there in ideal conditions and made there passes. You are very close, keep tweaking with the tune and you will get it.

i'm Running 93 Octane and i'm pushing all the way up to 29 degrees and i've seen 28.5 without any knock.

my shifting pattern is one of my concerns .. i'm using the Shifter for my upshifts .. on first i hit the button around 6k rpm and for second i hit the upshift around 6800 rpm and i'm almost close to my 4th gear by the end of the 1320. i don't really what most you guys use .. D or S or use the manual shifting for drag but the manual shifting seems the best.

the cam angles are adjusted based on the assistance of Lasota Tuning Book.

the weather here in bahrain is cold around this time of year .. the DA is -259 feet with 75% humidity with an average of 55F to 60F tempretures

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I assume you meant the end of 3rd and not 4th. You are shifting way to early. The car is probably making peak power but it will hold that power close to 7500. Rev it out a little more and you will get your 11. From my experience just put the car in D and let it do it's thing. Only time I use S is for roll hits or I'm datalogging.

Your conditions are ideal and your engine tune sounds spot on. The Coyote cookbook has some useful info. Work on the shifting tables and I bet you will be thrilled with your new et!

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
I assume you meant the end of 3rd and not 4th. You are shifting way to early. The car is probably making peak power but it will hold that power close to 7500. Rev it out a little more and you will get your 11. From my experience just put the car in D and let it do it's thing. Only time I use S is for roll hits or I'm datalogging.

Your conditions are ideal and your engine tune sounds spot on. The Coyote cookbook has some useful info. Work on the shifting tables and I bet you will be thrilled with your new et!

oh yeah that's what i meant i just didn't explain it right.

my main issue is the million SCT paramater for shift points
-each gear has it's own shift point
- Shift points based on EOT
- Wot Shift points
- the normal rev limiter

i'm still trying to figure out those guys and so far i have everything set to 7500 except for my normal rev limiter is 8k to allow room for the shift without the cutoff.

on my next track visit i'll focus on the shift points on D mode i think it's better to focus on my launch than hitting my shift point before the stupid BOG.

i have adjusted the shift pressure and clutch fill and my trans pressure is set to 200 .. i don't know how much i can increase the pressure though.

the coyote cookbook is great but lacks some small stuff that i had to rely on my own to learn and test to find what they do. i started tuning my car with just a PMAS intake and went all the way to FBO minus the Camshafts upgrade and i learned most of it from the book and reading online and testing ,, and i think i learned a ton of things in a period of 7 months and i have never tuned a car by myself before.

the car on the street is an animal, even i sometimes i'm afraid to floor the pedal espcially that when i bought it used, it was bone stock and very well maintained. 42k miles on the clock.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Problems are....converter, full weight, 3.15 and 28" tire and tune. So if you can shed some nose weight, get more aggressive with the tune with E85 and get some 3.55 gears you might improve quite a bit.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
as someone who has been fighting this for 3 years of racing now - just get the stall. My best so far is a 1.77 60' but most of mine are 1.80-1.90s for the same reason.

BH Tuner

Tuner in process
Established Member
I'm going a bit aggressive on the tune

Been doing some testing and it's going great, my only issue now is one thing with the sct advantage software.

On manual mode the car goes all the way to 7500 rpm without issues

When in S mode and D it still shifts earlier before 7k rpm and I have literally bumped every shift point I can find to 7500 and higher with no results

Anyone with experience can help me out here?

And I'm gonna use my other set of tires next week to see how it goes I can feel the 28 tires are killing me

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
S and D have different shift points for some reason. I started racing in s and found that i gained like 1 or 2 tenths just by racing in D. That is what my tuner said too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread