2014 5.0 Recaros

brandonflood123

Established Member
I just put a set of 2014 5.0 Recaros in my 2010 Shelby and now the airbag light on my cluster is on. i have assured that all connectors are plugged in good under the seat. i am curious if anybody has any answers as to why the light is on. are the seats not compatible? i know they were a direct bolt in and the connectors are the exact same for the harness. hope somebody can help me with this.

jfried

Established Member
The signal that the seat position sensor sends (and therefore airbag module expects) is different from 2014 to 2010. You either need to swap the sensors, or move the recaro seat on to your original base.

brandonflood123

Established Member
The signal that the seat position sensor sends (and therefore airbag module expects) is different from 2014 to 2010. You either need to swap the sensors, or move the recaro seat on to your original base.
Appreciate that so I need to get the oem sensors for a 2010 and put them on the recaros? Old seats are gone now.
Just read something about needing an ocs sensor I'm going to read up on that more too.

jfried

Established Member
Appreciate that so I need to get the oem sensors for a 2010 and put them on the recaros? Old seats are gone now.
Just read something about needing an ocs sensor I'm going to read up on that more too.

Should've elaborated...

For the driver's side, you need the seat position sensor that goes on the rails. For the passenger side, you need the ocs (occupancy sensor), which is basically a big bladder that goes under the seat foam, as well as a "black box" that's mounted to the seats.

You may also have to replace the air bags. There's a ~90 page thread lurking here about all of the differences.

Last edited:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Unless you hook up IDS and read the failure code, the best guess is the OCS that you need to swap. This one is actually tied to the RCM by model year. So remove your bladder with the sensor attached and plug it in... That should solve your issue. Airbags should just work fine.

As you don't have your seats again, the bladder alone is $900. So go out and find a passenger seat from a wrecker for a 2010 Mustang, buy that cheap and swap.

LEXiiON

Last edited:

brandonflood123

Established Member
Unless you hook up IDS and read the failure code, the best guess is the OCS that you need to swap. This one is actually tied to the RCM by model year. So remove your bladder with the sensor attached and plug it in... That should solve your issue. Airbags should just work fine.

As you don't have your seats again, the bladder alone is $900. So go out and find a passenger seat from a wrecker for a 2010 Mustang, buy that cheap and swap.

LEXiiON
about to read the code now to see what it says exactly and will post my findings. and wow thats expensive i hope the guy with my stock seats will be willing to trade( I'm assuming if he doesn't he will have the same issue as me so he will benefit by just trading me those parts.) edit: i can't read the code with a regular programmer. will get it scanned asap so i can see exactly what it is.

Last edited:

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Just did the conversion in my 2011. You dont need to swap anything other than the OCS (Air bladder) and its associated wiring on the seat base. I left the bags, and the position sensor with no issues. They are correct about the cost of that air bladder. But, its the same for every model in that year, so find a wrecked one with a good seat base and remove the bladder. It takes about 30 mins to remove and about a hour to swap. Light will go off and you will be happy.

brandonflood123

Established Member
Just did the conversion in my 2011. You dont need to swap anything other than the OCS (Air bladder) and its associated wiring on the seat base. I left the bags, and the position sensor with no issues. They are correct about the cost of that air bladder. But, its the same for every model in that year, so find a wrecked one with a good seat base and remove the bladder. It takes about 30 mins to remove and about a hour to swap. Light will go off and you will be happy.
so just the bladder in the passenger seat? I have my recaros apart it appears as if the bladder is glued to the seat frame?

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
about to read the code now to see what it says exactly and will post my findings. and wow thats expensive i hope the guy with my stock seats will be willing to trade( I'm assuming if he doesn't he will have the same issue as me so he will benefit by just trading me those parts.) edit: i can't read the code with a regular programmer. will get it scanned asap so i can see exactly what it is.

I am pretty sure you will have this code:
U3000:4A-8B - Incorrect Component installed
The other option you have is to buy a 2014 RCM from eBay or so. But then you have to download your as built data into the RCM from your 2010 as you still rely on the fuel shutoff switch and not the RCM to kill power to the FPDMs.

LEXiiON

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Now here comes the fun part and new findings. I installed the new RCM and, well I now got the Airbag light back on...
IDS tells me: U3000:4A-8B - Incorrect Component installed... I PMI the RCM and no change.
I put my old module back in and got the wrench light again (RCM can't talk to FPDM's - of course - that the reason for the new module). Now how do I get the new module to work in my car? And why does it say Incorrect Component? If an AR33 works with a DR33 PCM, why can't a BR33 work with a DR33 PCM??
Here is the answer.....(took me a phone call to find out): This code U3000:4A-8B means incorrect year from either ABS or OCSM (- well I can eliminate ABS, as the DR33 ABS works fine with an AR33 RCM...) so it must be the OCSM. There we go.
OCSM is the Occupant Classification Sensor Module (part of the bladder). That explains a lot. So basically the OCSM year designator (A=2010, B=2011, C=2012, D=2013 etc) must match the RCM year designator. Ergo a AR33 RCM must have a AR33 OCSM, etc... Basically I need a 2011 bladder (the OCSM is part of it, and you can't buy just the OCSM)..

Now i am pretty sure THAT is the reason, why everyone who buys the MC Recaros must swap the bladder on older cars !

I will search car-parts etc for a 2011 seat and once I have it, I can swap the bladder and RCM and get rid of the wrench...

I put my old RCM back in, as a wrench light is better than an Airbag light.

LEXiiON

This!

brandonflood123

Established Member
do i have to replace the whole bladder or just the specific sensor? it appears as if i would just need to remove that specific part pictured below and exchange it with one from a 2010?
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
do i have to replace the whole bladder or just the specific sensor? it appears as if i would just need to remove that specific part pictured below and exchange it with one from a 2010?

Just that black thing, but you have to do a OSCM Zero initialization afterwards..

LEXiiON

brandonflood123

Established Member
With Fords IDS. If you don't have one then it means a trip to the dealer.
LEXiiON

okay so if i can get my hands on my stock sensor (the guy with my seats will have the same problem as me in his 2014 if he doesn't trade) then i take it to ford and tell them i need my OSCM Zero'd

danm your a lot of help man i appreciate this

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
okay so if i can get my hands on my stock sensor (the guy with my seats will have the same problem as me in his 2014 if he doesn't trade) then i take it to ford and tell them i need my OSCM Zero'd

danm your a lot of help man i appreciate this

Yup. That should solve that issue...

LEXiiON

Users who are viewing this thread