2013 SHO humming/gear noise around 65mph. Same noise on all road surfaces

Cleat13

Just bought a 2013 SHO. Drove perfectly for the first 3 days nice and quiet. Drove it through slush and ice and now it is making an annoying humming sound around 65 mph that gets louder with speed. I thought that it was tire noise but it sounds the same no matter what the road surface is. My average miles per gallon has decreased to 17-18mpg on the highway. "The best way for me to describe the sound is: It sounds like there is a Honda Civic with a tuned exhaust driving beside me" "that underwater weedeater sound" its driving me crazy...I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday to diagnose but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues???

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Good question because last week I drove a 2012 MKS EcoBoost and it was quiet. Purchased it last night and it seems louder for some reason. I have a lot to learn about these cars, but I'm guessing either the PTU unit or maybe the wheel bearings? Does the sound change when you steer left and right? How many miles to you have? I'm at 45K. Congrats!!!

Cleat13

Good question because last week I drove a 2012 MKS EcoBoost and it was quiet. Purchased it last night and it seems louder for some reason. I have a lot to learn about these cars, but I'm guessing either the PTU unit or maybe the wheel bearings? Does the sound change when you steer left and right? How many miles to you have? I'm at 45K. Congrats!!!

Found out from the dealership that it was heat shielding that had come loose. The snow peeled it back and it was rubbing against my driveshaft. At least that's what they told me, either way it doesn't do it anymore. 45k to answer your question.

Users who are viewing this thread