2013 Shelby GT500 vs 2012 Camaro ZL1 Match Race at Atco Raceway!

Zeroescence

Established Member
Did you hear the ZL1 reving it's engine at the beginning of the video?

LOL! :lol:

I love reading the comments on youtube. C5 Nut swingers on there in full force. One KoolAid dick puts " whats funny is the Camaro smokes the tires both times durring these races and runs the mustang down, even when the mustang HAS radials, put radials on the Camaro and do it again"

^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rolling:^^^^^^

Kewlv8

Established Member
LOL! :lol:

I love reading the comments on youtube. C5 Nut swingers on there in full force. One KoolAid dick puts " whats funny is the Camaro smokes the tires both times durring these races and runs the mustang down, even when the mustang HAS radials, put radials on the Camaro and do it again"

^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rolling:^^^^^^

Running down the Shelby? Those tools are funny, in a Deliverance banjo-boy sort of way. The GT500 had a 13MPH advantage at the traps. It was pulling away like a bad dream for the GM nuthuggers. Sadly for them, this is how most races will go down. Trap speed tells the story, the GT500 makes the ZL1 look like a V6.

Van@RevanRacing

Confirmation. They are going to the road course next. We've already been down that road. This confirms everything. The ZL1 is slow and ugly and there is dejection across Camaro land. If you all recall the Torq ZL1 ran similar times at PBIR. Got smoked by Lethal. Then the same Torq ZL1 modded all to hell got smoked by Revan Racing.

It's only going to get worse.

Screw it. I might just do some minor mods to the suspension and see what I can do against my buddy Bruce in his ZR1 because frankly the Chevy guys are right. The 2013 GT500 is more closely matched with the ZR1 at half the price. I was only about 4 seconds behind the ZR1 at Sebring. Considering he had a 5 point harness, stabilizer bar up front that he told me enabled him to pick up 3 seconds at Sebring and he was on Hoosiers (Big fat ones) I think the Chevy boys are dead on. ZR1 is competition to the 2013 GT500 and not the zl1. Eh, not so much. In fact, not at all. They might claim an autocross victory against a 80 year old man with macular degeneration in the GT500 but other than that they are done.

A bone stock 2007 GT500 could run those times or better in the quarter. Hell, I went 12.46 in bone stock 2007 GT500.

Well done SVT and Ford. Well done.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Confirmation. They are going to the road course next. We've already been down that road. This confirms everything. The ZL1 is slow and ugly and there is dejection across Camaro land. If you all recall the Torq ZL1 ran similar times at PBIR. Got smoked by Lethal. Then the same Torq ZL1 modded all to hell got smoked by Revan Racing.

Screw it. I might just do some minor mods to the suspension and see what I can do against my buddy Bruce in his ZR1 because frankly the Chevy guys are right. The 2013 GT500 is more closely matched with the ZR1 at half the price. I was only about 4 seconds behind the ZR1 at Sebring. Considering he had a 5 point harness, stabilizer bar up front that he told me enabled him to pick up 3 seconds at Sebring and he was on Hoosiers (Big fat ones) I think the Chevy boys are dead on. ZR1 is competition to the 2013 GT500 and not the zl1. Eh, not so much. In fact, not at all. They might claim an autocross victory against a 80 year old man with macular degeneration in the GT500 but other than that they are done.

A bone stock 2007 GT500 could run those times or better in the quarter. Hell, I went 12.46 in bone stock 2007 GT500.

atomic bomb right here! :beer:

HeavyH20

Established Member
The GT500 driver certainly looked to be the better driver (with the better car) based on the burnout. He certainly knew how to heat them up. The second run cemented the deal. Running an 11.6 is awesome on streets. Kudos to the 500 driver.

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
Did anyone notice like I did the DAZED and confused look on the ZL1 owner after the first race?? lol.

The car is simply just too damn big... I think they should be congratulated on the mag ride because just about everyone loves it and says it's the bomb. But man -- that's about it.. The poor thing just can't do what it should be (or what so many were thinking it would) able to do with the engine with all that weight..

If the car was about 300 lbs lighter it would make a huge difference.

I think a good bit of the ZL1 owners may have to resort to doing cam swaps and maybe head swaps as well to try to level things out. But like everyone here knows -- many GT500 owners will prob at least do a tune and t/b so there's another 40-60ish that the ZL1 will need to try to catch up on top of the already near 90 rwhp difference!

Gotta love these times man.. Friggin bone stock mustang going mid 11's at 124-125... incredible times for us car lovers.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member

This is all the truth and it's all very funny. With just Hoosier drag radials, I went 11.92@117 in our 2008 GT500. Poor ZL1 guys :nonono:

Van@RevanRacing

This is all the truth and it's all very funny. With just Hoosier drag radials, I went 11.92@117 in our 2008 GT500. Poor ZL1 guys :nonono:

I think we just Punk'd the whole ZL1 Camaro Fan Base!! Nice work on that 11.92! Seems Cheby has some catchin' up to do! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread