2013 Shelby gt500 hood scoop install... Need help

05boostedgt

Established Member
Looking at a 2012 Shelby gt500 hood scoop that comes stock on the Shelby I have a 2006 almost completely custom done car and trying to keep the engine bay temps down and thought I had seen a post on here that someone had already installed one on their s197..... Looking for help on this is it do-able? If so how do you cut the hood what tools were used and how is it holding up so far.... Once again haven't attempted and haven't bought the scoop yet but would like to find a top mounted scoop or air damn to help release the heat in the motor compartment ..... Any advice would help this is and has been a budget build but am willing to spend a little more cash but not looking to buy a new hood.

Last edited:

mavisky

Established Member
I did it in my SN-95, but it's not a "plug and play" type job. The 2010+ hoods are actually dimpled to accommodate the vent.

mavisky

Established Member
Well an actual GT500 hood would be the cheapest option. Not sure what the custom sheetmetal work would cost you, but my guess is more than the actual hood.

Here's how i did mine.

Drill, jigsaw, dremel, expanding foam, and 3m double sided adhesive tape.

photobucket-3648-1340765697300.gif

As you can see it still sits just on top of the hood as opposed to "down flush" like the actual GT500's do.
IMG_1420_zpscfd24eb1.gif

05boostedgt

Established Member
Not to worried about it sitting in flush bc I've already had to cut a chunk of the hood support out to earn some clearance for my alternator..... Any idea how much a stock hood runs price wise and should I even attempt it......

mavisky

Established Member
Well the biggest problem i just noticed is that your only real option for your 2005 gt is a 2007-2009 GT500 hood. The 2010+ hood won't work with your car so your only option to get the 2010 vent in your hood is to cut it up. What worries me the most though is the "peak" or "ridge" running down the center of the 05 hoods. That's going to keep the vent from sitting flat. On my 95 that area of the hood had a very very slight curve to it that the vent was able to conform to, but on yours that sharp peak may ruin any chance of it working right without some heavy modifications to the hood or the vent.

05boostedgt

Established Member
Good point I completely forgot about that ridge..... I think ill just get a set of the 14 vents that run on the sides of the new gt's hoods and place those and make them functional or buy a Shelby hood if I can find one. Thanks for the info

05boostedgt

Established Member
I think that is the route I'm going but they're 200.00 lol going to see if I can't find them somewhere else cheaper. Thank u for all the info

Users who are viewing this thread