2013 Raptor 2.9L Whipple Install!

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Whipple Supercharger Install! Say hello to the 2nd 2013 Raptor Whipple!

Got the truck back Thursday afternoon from Gearheads Performance in Arlington, TX. The truck was there for a little over two weeks total. The install was done pretty quick, but there was an issue with the PCM which took some back and forth to and from Whipple in Fresno to resolve.

Gearheads is a top tier Whipple installer here in Texas, and we used them for the purchase and install because, as this is my wife's truck and daily driver, we plan to utilize the warranty option. I've installed a supercharger before (heck, I have had 4 aftermarket supercharges in the last 8 years), but this time all I installed was the sticker. While the truck was there we also had the Ford Racing Touring (Borla) exhaust and Ford Racing blue cam covers installed. Matt and Travis at Gearheads were really great to work with, and made everything really easy.

Supercharger: drives awesome! Basically, you just have power when you want and need it now. Before, even with 411 HP, it felt like the you were driving a huge truck. Now the truck accelerates like a much smaller vehicle. The big difference is merging and passing on the highway and parkways. Going from say 35-65 or 60-80 is totally effortless. With the 3.5" pulley you can really hear the blower whine when you get on it.

Now, it does have a little more baseline noise. Since it is a front feed blower with a gear-driven output shaft, under low load, even idle, there is a slight whine from the blower. Barely noticeable, and honestly it sounds pretty cool. As far as gas mileage, I got 14 mpg out to Ft Worth and back going 75 mph...not too bad. Now, when you get on it...it tends to go down!!!

Power: Made somewhere around 480 on a load bearing dyno...once I get the file will post it up.

PCM (i.e. the tune): Spot on. Dustin and the guys at Whipple, in conjunction with Ford Racing et al, have really hit the nail on the head with this tune. It really does have stock driveability, including shifting both on normal driving and under load (boost). It is a great tune. Also, some people have mentioned odd problems like no remote start, or temp always at 60. We have no tune problems with our 2013.

The PCM issue, apparently per Dustin Whipple, there was an issue with the VIN in the PCM code being moved on a revision of the 2013 code. If this isn't fixed, the truck is limited to 25% throttle...once it was recognized and fixed, game on! BlueDino was the guinea pig for this, thanks for the help!

At the end of the day, thanks to Gearheads, and especially Dustin and Mike @ Whipple. Mike gave me a call the Friday before Christmas to let me know the tune was fixed, and Dustin emailed me multiple times keeping me in the loop, and even drove my PCM to Fedex himself last Saturday. Awesome customer service! Now I just need a 3rd vehicle to put the Whipple on!

Exhaust: If I had one complaint, it is that the exhaust is a little mild. But, it does sound better at start up and under load, especially from outside the car. And NO drone. At all. Zero. So, for my aging ass, this is a win-win.

Cam covers: they look nice ;)

In the future we will install a boost guage, and probably the Whipple upgraded heat exchanger next summer before we go on our PCS to San Diego (by way of 4K mile road trip). Also, once we get back to SD, probably will get the RPG stage II installed, hopefully @ RPG.

The 2.9L Whipple:

DSC03287_zps47b1cd9e.jpg

DSC03288_zps69c20cbf.jpg

Sideshot. Notice 6 rib belt (ie stock) unlike the GT500 stock 10 rib.

DSC03290_zps1c71fef2.jpg

3.5" Pulley:

DSC03297_zps4481307e.jpg

DSC03300_zps68664986.jpg

S&B 9" Filter:

DSC03302_zps22a67d06.jpg

Heat exchanger: can't wait for the new one! Should really help with IAT's in hot weather.

DSC03303_zpsf2e6683d.jpg

HE coolant line: they run towards the back of the unit at the firewall, unlike the rear-inlet blowers. Took a bit for me to track them down.

DSC03306_zps9407a28a.jpg