2013 OEM HID into 10-13 Non-HID Harness

dc2r

Established Member
D3S bulbs are super expensive, I'm about to sell my OEMs bulbs soon since I'm changing to another temp, but I know u need a new one asap :-/ and I'm not ready to pull mine out quite yet... Even tho it's just sitting in the garage, check out eBay for OEM bulbs

i see them going for cheap on ebay like someone mentioned above, but there is so much fake (eg. philips) or "brand new" stuff that is actually used i just stay away from that place...

what temp range are you going with? what is oem? the ones i bought are 6000k only because they were the only ones in stock.

GTstyles2

Established Member
i see them going for cheap on ebay like someone mentioned above, but there is so much fake (eg. philips) or "brand new" stuff that is actually used i just stay away from that place...

what temp range are you going with? what is oem? the ones i bought are 6000k only because they were the only ones in stock.

I just went thru a crappy set from China, it was DDMTUNING, I should've known better. The factory brand is Osram, Philips is also good. I'm upgrading to the Osram CBI 5000k, which I hear great things about, but they go about $260 for the pair which is tough, but hear they're worth it.

But this is the factory Osram in the pic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422421400.385277.jpg

dc2r

Established Member
thanks again everyone. i was so late for work this morning i didn't get to do it. so right now i'm just nursing my wounds at work covered in bandaids trying to type with two fingers. coworker was wondering if i lost a fight with a cat lol.

that looks like the passenger side wiring loom in your pic. for me, the dead one is on the driver's side, so i have the airbox in the way. i hope i don't have to pull the box out. if i can just get the dead one replaced i would be happy but knowing the bulbs will now be mismatched in color i will have to stock up on more bandaids for the passenger side... sigh.

everyone says philips is best, but there are so many fake ones out there to the point that philips had to do this elaborate holographic labeling on their stuff and some sort of serial number system in order to identify what is real and what is not.

the osrams i have right now were from ebay. no returns. oh well.

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
no good news to report. i finally got the bulb replaced... and it still did not work. had to ask a shop for help. they swapped the dead driver side headlight with everything on it over to the passenger side and rig it up and it works. they ran out of time but they need to look at the retrofit harness to see if anything is wrong.

they are almost 2 hours in and charging me straight time... sigh. hope to know more tomorrow.

GTstyles2

Established Member
no good news to report. i finally got the bulb replaced... and it still did not work. had to ask a shop for help. they swapped the dead driver side headlight with everything on it over to the passenger side and rig it up and it works. they ran out of time but they need to look at the retrofit harness to see if anything is wrong.

they are almost 2 hours in and charging me straight time... sigh. hope to know more tomorrow.

HID bulbs really don't go out often, 9/10 ballasts usually go out or there's a bad ground of some sort. I don't think it's the harness, it either works or it doesn't, I can't see it going bad

dc2r

Established Member
when i gave them the car only told them it was the bulbs that needed to be replaced. i did not mention everything was a retrofit. otherwise i think they would have swapped the harnesses first when they tried to diagnose it... i basically wasted their time because i only assumed it was the bulb that was bad.

either way, when they swapped headlights, it was with the ballasts attached and the dead driver side light worked when it was hooked up to the passenger side.

GTstyles2

Established Member
when i gave them the car only told them it was the bulbs that needed to be replaced. i did not mention everything was a retrofit. otherwise i think they would have swapped the harnesses first when they tried to diagnose it... i basically wasted their time because i only assumed it was the bulb that was bad.

either way, when they swapped headlights, it was with the ballasts attached and the dead driver side light worked when it was hooked up to the passenger side.

So I guess u have to switch the harness next. Kinda scares the hell out of me to know he harness could go bad, I'm getting a headlight mod and still waiting for them, I'm kinda anxious to see if my harness are ok

dc2r

Established Member
so yeah after two hours it's fixed. apparently in my struggles to get the bulb in i separated one of the wires in the socket for harness and it lost power. this is officially the most expensive lightbulb i've ever had :(

oh and 6000k? not so great. stay with oem 5000k unless you like pretty blue halo effects. i find them to be noticeably less bright.

in other news, i test drove this while at the dealer today...

10974392_10153065513843134_6180465940949955918_o.jpg

i'm so screwed... i won't be able to sleep tonight.

and probably every other night too.

those of you who haven't driven the new 2015 yet DON'T DO IT. lol

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
oh. my bad. the ebay listing i looked at said 5000k.

going off topic... yeah i liked the 2015 i drove. it was a gt/pp 6pd.

it's much more solid on bad roads. i am so used to getting my noggin rattled side to side because of the solid axle and the IRS stopped all of that. noise isolation is better. and there is significantly less wind noise, which i didn't realize i had until after this. i blame the mirrors.
better feedback from the steering (but i come from a 2011 and mine has only one setting... numb).
the 6pot brembos are insane. the 4pots i have do not compare.
the 6spd shift action hasn't improved sadly, but thankfully reverse is now a lockout ring you pull up instead of trying to ram the damn shifter down and hope it isn't 1st.
it says "ground speed" on the speedo which i find stupid.
still has the microsoft myfordtouch which as expected froze on me and could not chage the hvac settings until restarting the car.
stock seats still have no support. if i ever do trade up i'm taking my recaros with me.
no more key just a fob in your pocket now and the start.stop button.
the power outlet in the top center of the dash for your radar detector is gone unfortunately. it's now back at the bottom of the center stack, sharing space with an external usb port.
center console cupholders have been revised and actually might work this time. sadly the armrest storage bin is smaller than before.
door pockets are just as bad as before (ie. useless).
seatbelt guide for front seats is now a button strap on the seat shoulder, which i am expecting to be the first to break.
glove box is smaller, but the door now can be locked.
finally there is a dead pedal!
the hoodline is lower so forward visibility is better.
rear visibility is a different story. there are no more rear headrests to deal with, which is good, but the rear glass tapers down towards the decklid, which means the c pillars become a big blind spot are cars come up from behind. this car had a spoiler delete, so i could not tell where the back of the car ends. all the backup aids available for this car are a must.
the side mirrors actually work, has a blind spot warning light in them, can now manual fold, and has turn signals.
doors don't rattle with the windows down.
steering wheel diameter appears to be a bit smaller, but the rim is still just as thin as before. leather is not as nice. has too many sync buttons. radio controls are still on the right side.
they have now separated the wiper and turn signals into separate stalks.
no antenna anymore in the rear fender or a sat radio antenna/pimple on the trunk lid.
there are no external window seals around the glass, just beveled edges. rear stop light is in the roof now.
trunk opening is slightly smaller because of the rear glass. trunk might be shallower too. still no full size spare, but the tirewell might actually fit a 19" wheel this time without having to deflate the tire. the rear seat pass thru isn't any bigger. even with the IRS, so if you have anything wider than a 9.5" wheel you are still out of luck.
there is an external trunk release now. it is hidden in the rear bumper license plate light.
external hood release is now yellow in color, so you can actually see it in the dark. still a manual hood prop.
i don't know how anyone can check the oil dipstick. there is now both a firewall k-brace and the strut tower bar in the way.
engine bay space is really tight. they've sleeved/insulated a lot of the hoses and wiring.
has real hood vents that actually vent.
no more cold air airbox. but the sound tube is there, and there is a lot more of it.
plastic engine cover is cheap and flimsy compared to the old coyote lid.

... and to get back on topic... you can forget about swapping HID bulbs on your own in the 2015. the opening is actually a gap between the outer and inner fender, and you need the hand of a 5yr old to get to the access cover.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
great review man! I wanna get into one now, but I'm thinking Ford "ups the ante" with the drivetrain in the next model year or two, and there is already a better Sync in the works, so I'm definitely waiting

dc2r

Established Member
i am just holding out for the gt350. i want to see if it's as good as it's claimed to be. i don't want to end up like before where i thought the gt was enough and then the boss302 popped out of the woodwork and i've been regretting it ever since.

Last edited:

GTstyles2

Established Member
So I'm finally starting the project, I'm getting a super bright light no matter how I connect the signal harness, just on 1, the other is fine. For those of u who cut a wire, which was it??ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424372488.153567.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424372499.308419.jpg

benstoner

Established Member
What ballasts are you guys running? The housings I bought from Ebay didnt come with them and I didnt see anyone talking about that in the thread.

Ordered a harness from Tuxedo, hopefully it doesnt take too long to get

92fiveohfox

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread