2013 GTHG Boss on Forgelines

kbroush

Established Member
You're way over thinking this. Maintaining the stock height is a good thing for the street but isn't necessarily the best thing for the track. Lots of guys are running 18" wheels for the track which allows you to put lighter wheels with more rubber and get the car lower to the ground. The race cars run 18" wheels because that's what their spec classes call for and the availability of race tires. Ford did a great job with our cars for meeting their internal requirements for driving on the street but there's plenty of room for improvement at a cost, both money and ride quality. Read below for more info. And for the life of me I can't figure out why Ford didn't put 10" rear wheels on the Boss. Maybe just to have one more item different on the LS.

Ford Racing Suspension Upgrades

I'm thinking you are right about the one more thing different from the LS. I really do not see why they would have done this either.

WhiteKnite

Established Member
And for the life of me I can't figure out why Ford didn't put 10" rear wheels on the Boss. Maybe just to have one more item different on the LS.

Ford Racing Suspension Upgrades

I know this might be a silly question, but by going from a 19" wheels to 18" wheels, how much exactly does it lower the car, if any? I mean, this differs depending on the brand (wheel/tire) correct?

On a side note, I do remember reading that if one goes too lower profile, say 21" or 22" wheels (the bling-bling look), that the ride is sooooooooo firm that it's almost unusable on the track. So, you'd want to go with more side rubber (higher profile) in order to allow for some "give" over bumps on the track.

Your comment about why Ford didn't go with the 10" wide on the Boss 302 is a good question. To differentiate between the LS and Boss is a good guess, which is related to pricing the two cars.

What's funny is that Roush went with the 20" for looks (maintaining the 9.5 Boss 302 width). But Ford went with the 19x10Rs for the Laguna Seca. So, that makes sense. More rubber on the ground while maintaining the same diameter.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I know this might be a silly question, but by going from a 19" wheels to 18" wheels, how much exactly does it lower the car, if any? I mean, this differs depending on the brand (wheel/tire) correct?
1". ;-) Actually if you use similar sized and profile tires it's 1/2" since the axle splits the difference. Not sure why you're worrying about what Roush is doing as they were doing it long before the Boss hit the streets. Just remember the larger the wheels typically the heavier they are. Why are you changing wheels? Is it for looks, to improve handling on the street (the car is already capable of doing things that will get you thrown in jail with the stock setup) or are you hitting the track? Go 18" for the track, 19" to maintain stock handling and ride, and 20" for bling. :beer:

WhiteKnite

Established Member
1". ;-) Actually if you use similar sized and profile tires it's 1/2" since the axle splits the difference. Not sure why you're worrying about what Roush is doing as they were doing it long before the Boss hit the streets. Just remember the larger the wheels typically the heavier they are. Why are you changing wheels? Is it for looks, to improve handling on the street (the car is already capable of doing things that will get you thrown in jail with the stock setup) or are you hitting the track? Go 18" for the track, 19" to maintain stock handling and ride, and 20" for bling. :beer:

My track intentions are posted here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...g-road-race-track-ability-2.html#post12453117

I'd figure that if I ever did go comp track, I'd have to switch to 18x10. That's fine. Just information gathering. But if 20's are for bling and Roush has been known for their racing prowess. Then why did they go with 20x9.5 (as an upgrade option). I'm guessing that the base Roush 18x10s are actually better for track.

I'm considering changing wheels for weight reduction and I'd still be going with 19s for both street and track for the time being. 19x10s that is. As far as looks. I do like the black 302 stock wheels look. But like the F14s a bit better, plus they're lighter and wider 10s.

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
But if 20's are for bling and Roush has been known for their racing prowess. Then why did they go with 20x9.5 (as an upgrade option). I'm guessing that the base Roush 18x10s are actually better for track.

I'm considering changing wheels for weight reduction and I'd still be going with 19s for both street and track for the time being. 19x10s that is. As far as looks. I do like the black 302 stock wheels look. But like the F14s a bit better, plus they're lighter and wider 10s.
You'll need to ask Roush that one. Don't get me wrong I'm a Roush fan and almost bought a 2011 Stage 2 with those wheels on it before Ford announced the Boss 302. But again why 20x9.5 in the rear? Probably because of price. For our cars I don't think there's any performance gain by going to 20's so to me they are bling. :rolling: I was going to buy the Forgestar F14's for my car but after visiting their factory (the one in OC not China) and looking at the SVT wheels on a GT500 that was very close to their factory I decided I liked the OEM fitment better. They do weigh more but for the street and occasional track use it really isn't going to matter. Nothing wrong with the Forgestar's though and I really like the looks of the CF5.

IMG_1298.jpg

Last edited:

Gr8toz

Established Member
You'll need to ask Roush that one. Don't get me wrong I'm a Roush fan and almost bought a 2011 Stage 2 with those wheels on it before Ford announced the Boss 302. But again why 20x9.5 in the rear? Probably because of price. For our cars I don't think there's any performance gain by going to 20's so to me they are bling. :rolling: I was going to buy the Forgestar F14's for my car but after visiting their factory (the one in OC not China) and looking at the SVT wheels on a GT500 that was very close to their factory I decided I liked the OEM fitment better. They do weigh more but for the street and occasional track use it really isn't going to matter. Nothing wrong with the Forgestar's though and I really like the looks of the CF5.

IMG_1298.jpg

Your car looks really good, I almost went with that wheel.

Highway Star

Established Member
Not a bad choice

IMG_1298.jpg

I have the forgestar F-14 but those are nice. Really like the look. Lighter wheels are great. My forgestar 19x9 and 19x10's are 25 and 24 pounds respectively. About 5-7 pounds lighter than stock. My two piece rotors get me another 5-6 pounds over stock and it does make a small difference. But chasing some incremental performance advantage at the expense of a very finally tuned factory ride is foolish. And looks are important on teh street. Those Forgelines are light and great for racing. But they do not look nearly as sick as those svt wheels.

Gr8toz

Established Member
I have the forgestar F-14 but those are nice. Really like the look. Lighter wheels are great. My forgestar 19x9 and 19x10's are 25 and 24 pounds respectively. About 5-7 pounds lighter than stock. My two piece rotors get me another 5-6 pounds over stock and it does make a small difference. But chasing some incremental performance advantage at the expense of a very finally tuned factory ride is foolish. And looks are important on teh street. Those Forgelines are light and great for racing. But they do not look nearly as sick as those svt wheels.

SVT wheels do look nice, but i Just wanted something different, and at the end of the day there is only one person I'm trying to please, and that would be my WIFE.:D

BUCKET

Established Member
I run a vossen 20x9 front and 20x10.5
I lost 4lbs on each front corner and gained 1lb each rear corner

Car looks awesome btw

Highway Star

Established Member
SVT wheels do look nice, but i Just wanted something different, and at the end of the day there is only one person I'm trying to please, and that would be my WIFE.:D

Don't get me wrong. I love your Forgelines. Those are the best quality wheels out there. If form follows function, those are the finest. I can really appreciate that. SVT' wheels are forged but heavier and design wise maybe a little bit more eye candyish. But then again if I saw those Forgelines up close I might have a different opinion.

Gr8toz

Established Member
I run a vossen 20x9 front and 20x10.5
I lost 4lbs on each front corner and gained 1lb each rear corner

Car looks awesome btw

I like the Vossen they are great looking wheels, looked at a set, but they didn't make it in 19" and I wanted to stay 19". You should post a picture so I can see them.

Don't get me wrong. I love your Forgelines. Those are the best quality wheels out there. If form follows function, those are the finest. I can really appreciate that. SVT' wheels are forged but heavier and design wise maybe a little bit more eye candyish. But then again if I saw those Forgelines up close I might have a different opinion.

I understand where you are coming from, I just wanted to take a different route, the concave look with no lip on rim. I have always wanted some Forgelines or HRE's but could never afford them.
:beer:

I think the car looks awesome.......

Thanks!

aquill1

Established Member
No reason to explain why you went with those wheels, your selection was a good one and they look great. I just couldn't imagine spending $1,200+ for each wheel.

Gr8toz

Established Member
No reason to explain why you went with those wheels, your selection was a good one and they look great. I just couldn't imagine spending $1,200+ for each wheel.

Thanks, sometimes I still can't believe I paid that much for wheels also.

Users who are viewing this thread