2013 GT500 restoration (sort of)

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Hello All,
I recently picked up a one owner never modified black with matte black stripes GT500. Pictures soon.

THIS IS LONG, TURN BACK NOW.

The prev. owner is a friend of my step fathers who happens to be the go to shelby and Ford GT car mechanic for the area. His hands are the only ones to ever touch this car and he set the deal up for me basically. It also was a great price (in my opinion) and has all the options I’d want (minus glass roof but nothing’s perfect I supposed).

All of this sounds great except it also was a daily driven and never washed, out away wet type of car. It’s FILTHY. Also owner enjoyed cigars and it um reflects that fact lol.

I recently got back to watching and relearning the junkmans technique since I had used it prior on an older (and much worse for wear) black RX-8, and was thrilled with the results.

My plan

Interior:

- I have some leatherique I’ll hit the leather portions of the recaros with. (The coating is worn on the leather which actually in the past has meant the leather fully absorbs the product and I always have great results.)

- I’m also using Nextzetts plastikkreiniger to deep clean a lot of the cakes on film in the interior plastics. Already it’s looking fantastic and the slight cigar odor is diminishing.

- A carpet extractor rental is in my future as well as a seat removal to get it 100% clean.

- I have an ozone generator I’ll be using as a final death blow to any odors remaining.

Exterior:

- This is where the works really cut out for me. My plastic trim peices are all faded and have residuals of haphazardly applied wax’s. I’ll remove this with soap and water after using the plastic deep cleaner. I’ll be finishing with Adams VRT.

-My matte stripes are not actually in poor shape considering and some gentle soap and water should do the trick, then VRT I’m VERY small amounts (avoid patches and running).

-Wheels will be dealt with using my hands, some Chinese micro fibers and a lot of sore fingertips. Some sonax full effect will be used also.

- The paint. Oh boy the paint. It’s scuffed, marred, scratches, dirty, you name it. Its like a detailing class purposely created a Petri dish of paint damage to teach the class how to deal with all types. First I’m going to foam and wash the car, likely a couple of times with a foam gun or cannon, two buckets (grit guards of course), and a lot of patience. Separate wash mitts for top half and bottom (junkman tip).

-Next I will clay bar. I have a large block of clay magic I’ll be using along with Gary deans detail juice concentrate (so I can make gallons at a time). This is going to yield a disgusting amount of contaminants I’m positive.

-Once claying comes back smooth and baggy test is passed I’ll move on (nervously) to my Griot’s DA polisher with white and orange pads.

-I have McGuire’s 105 and 205 ready to go and am likely going to get some practice on my beater pickups hood and sides first to get my speed and pressure down just right. I have a ton of pads and product for that reason.

-Once corrected (likely by section per day since this is going to be hours and hours and hours) I’ll apply some wax or sealant (not sure which yet but ultimately if it protects I’m fine with it since shine comes from the polish not the wax (can you tell I like the JM yet?).

Things I can’t fix.

I do have a large scratch to the primer on my drivers door and a few smaller dings I can’t fix.

The corner of my hood also has some bubbling that i really have to look at since it looks like a botched touch up job.

I’ll likely get these issues professionally taken care of once the rest of the car is in good shape.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Not sure how to get full resolution pictures but I’ll try to take photos of the damage

Blkblk13car

Established Member
S9DFJ3R

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello All,
I recently picked up a one owner never modified black with matte black stripes GT500. Pictures soon.

THIS IS LONG, TURN BACK NOW.

The prev. owner is a friend of my step fathers who happens to be the go to shelby and Ford GT car mechanic for the area. His hands are the only ones to ever touch this car and he set the deal up for me basically. It also was a great price (in my opinion) and has all the options I’d want (minus glass roof but nothing’s perfect I supposed).

All of this sounds great except it also was a daily driven and never washed, out away wet type of car. It’s FILTHY. Also owner enjoyed cigars and it um reflects that fact lol.

I recently got back to watching and relearning the junkmans technique since I had used it prior on an older (and much worse for wear) black RX-8, and was thrilled with the results.

My plan

Interior:

- I have some leatherique I’ll hit the leather portions of the recaros with. (The coating is worn on the leather which actually in the past has meant the leather fully absorbs the product and I always have great results.)

- I’m also using Nextzetts plastikkreiniger to deep clean a lot of the cakes on film in the interior plastics. Already it’s looking fantastic and the slight cigar odor is diminishing.

- A carpet extractor rental is in my future as well as a seat removal to get it 100% clean.

- I have an ozone generator I’ll be using as a final death blow to any odors remaining.
For the interior, disconnect the battery, remove all seats and the carpet. Use a pressure washer on the carpet, or hand scrub it with a stiff bristle brush. Let it dry completely before reinstalling. You can’t use a pressure washer on the seats, well AOC could, but scrubbing them with a soap solution will help. Leave the car windows down during the entire time that the interior pieces are removed. I have no experience removing the headliner, but you could probably scrub it with something to lessen the cigar odor. Over time, the smoke smell will dissipate, but you’ve got work ahead of you. Good luck!

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Yeah the interior is coming out of the car completely, when I say cigar smell it’s basically the prev. Owner would be around cigar Smoking and smoke but not in the car.
However, over years it transfers of course. Cabin air filter, and the scrubbing like you suggested should bring better than new results. I’m driving it now and to be honest it’s that subtle high-end tobacco smell that I was used to from my grandfather so I don’t mind it. BUT I do not want my car to have any detracting issues of course.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
If I could figure out uploading I’d be all over it. I’m no professional though so please don’t set a high bar for me haha

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Hsxg5e1
Hsxg5e1
Finally got a foam and two bucket wash going. Lots of chips, and some scratches. The whole car is basically a spider web of swirls. But it’s nice to see it clean. Still can’t figure out uploading pictures but I have em for when I do. Def going to need a touch up guy at the end though.
In other news: ozone overnight treatment (60min timer) got the cigar smell out completely so it really does feel good. Was out driving the Florida keys and loving the car!

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Vinyl wraps have greatly improved and hydro dip CF the trim. Brand new look to a black car?
-J

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I saw the part about the previous owner loving to smoke cigars in your GT500, I gulped. Can you really get rid of all the nasty smell? I only know the basics about ozone generator cleansing.

This will be an interesting project to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about your GT500 when it's done.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
When I saw the part about the previous owner loving to smoke cigars in your GT500, I gulped. Can you really get rid of all the nasty smell? I only know the basics about ozone generator cleansing.

This will be an interesting project to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about your GT500 when it's done.

Haven’t actually gotten the seats or carpets cleaned and an ozone session has already taken care of it. I’ll clean all that and leave it out in the sun to dry completely, then ozone again but I’m thrilled with the generator.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Alcantara on the wheel is coming around finally, the amount of caked dirt and grime is unreal but it’s finally getting back to a matte soft finish. Planning a leatherique treatment and a good 4 hours in the Florida sun to really bring the recaros back to life. I’ll get another picture album shortly.

Blkblk13car

Established Member

Did a leatherique treatment, and vacuumed. Next pulling the seats and doing the upholstery fully with an extractor. Also got a new key!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Need some good pics!

Sounds like a fun project OP.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread