2013 GT500 Pre Production Mystery

battchief05

Established Member
So I receive my GT500 Certificate anticipating the normal production breakdown stats. The only info,my certificate contained was that my Shelby is a certified pre production vehicle with a build date of 4-4-2012, approximately 1 month before regular production was initiated. The additional sheet enclosed with all 2013 GT500 build stats states 92 pre production vehicles were included in the figures. I purchased my Shelby on 3-20-2013 with 1360 miles on the clock. The window sticker originally stated "Vehicle Not For Sale". I have had no issues with this car. It was virtually brand new to me. I'm trying to find out more about the history of these pre production vehicles. Ford Performance will only give me the build date. From info I have obtained from Ford employees close to 2013 Pre Job 1 vehicles the majority of these vehicles are crushed and never offered for sale. No one has given me any solid answers so far. Mysterious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 813
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 794

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's pretty cool, it more than likely was a Demo car that they brought to new car show or something along those lines.

Kapy

Established Member
Ford does this all the time with cars. I saw pre production 2015 Mustangs on the road in Dallas this year way before the car was even officially for sale. I also have a friend that works with Ford and this is not uncommon.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

I saw the explanation detailed by 69bossnine and it certainly sounds plausible. Revisiting the OP's original statement...

... build date of 4-4-2012, approximately 1 month before regular production was initiated. The additional sheet enclosed with all 2013 GT500 build stats states 92 pre production vehicles were included in the figures. I purchased my Shelby on 3-20-2013

Federal certification for the 2013 GT500 with the 5.8L engine was granted on March 15, 2012.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources..._DFMXV05.8VE2_DFMXV05.8VE2-015_03_15_2012.pdf

CARB certification for the 2013 GT500 with the 5.8L engine was granted on April 13, 2012.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/programs/emissions/2013_A0101702.pdf

So the CARB cert wasn't in place on the build date but had been for quite some time when the OP actually purchased the vehicle.:shrug:

battchief05

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. While the build date seems to be accurate those ship dates were confusing. BossNine knows his stuff. I Just wish someone from ford could give an actual breakdown of the pre production vehicles similar to the FoMoCo/SVT certificate. Wishful thinking. lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I clicked on the FordGT500Forum link....Man, I forgot how huge the signatures could be on that site. Makes it a pain to read through a thread.

brianz426

Established Member
This is really interesting . In an era when it's hard to get something new that is truly rare and unusual, it looks like you succeeded. Even if by accident. It would be really cool if you could find out exactly what this car did before you got it. Calendar or brochure pictures? Testing or VIP usage? Congrats.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I clicked on the FordGT500Forum link....Man, I forgot how huge the signatures could be on that site. Makes it a pain to read through a thread.

For realz. That is my only issue with that site, and only 10 posts per thread page

boss71

Established Member
I purchased my 2013 Shelby GT 500 Convertible Deep Impact Blue Stripe Delete Car in June 2014 with 9000 miles and it is one of the 92 Pre Production Cars. It was built on 4/13/12 and shipped to Ford Motor Co /Quality Test Fleet in Allen Park, MI. I am trying to get some info on the car and was hoping someone could tell me what the Quality Test Fleet means. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread