2013 GT500 LCD Gauge Cluster Install into a 2011 GT500 With Track Apps and LC

fishpick

Established Member
This pic shows you the size difference between the "easy to find" 0.1" pin that's used at the PCM and in the clock spring and the little tiny thing used on the switches in the steering wheel.
IMG_4162.JPG

fishpick

Established Member
Thank you. I will be ordering the pack of pins, I was a little hesitant to tackle the re-pinning but that doesn't look bad at all.
Replacing the shifter with the 13/14 one and running the line forward and finally repinning the PCM is the simplest part of the whole project!

I'm actually trying to put together a "kit" with the pins and the connectors to make things plug and play for folks! (it's not going too well) ;)

@Mr_SouthShelbyRider251 - so I don't have but a couple of pins left from the innards of the steering wheel... and I can't cross reference the small pin side of things to any electronics supply pin.
HOWEVER - I think you want 0.1" female crimp pins for the large pins
http://www.kr4.us/Female-Crimp-Pins-for-0.1-Housings-100-Pack.html

The smaller ones are the pins EVERYONE has a hard time finding... they measure between 0.06 and 0.08" - good luck, if you find them, post a link.

Sources you could consider - small connectors from electronics fans - like small PC case fans or other electronics. OR - spend $50-70 - and get a steering wheel off eBay or a forum that still has the harness in it - and know you have all the pins you could want for this project and any other later on that needs small pins (like if after you do all this you decide to add the paddle shifters too)

(Right now on the Coyote Craigslist page on FB - there's yet another listing for a wheel - "11-12 Premium Steering Wheel - $70 OBO")... that's how I got my micro pins... (and a nicer wheel too)

Thanks man I really appreciate it. Here is what I recently ordered. Not sure if these are the correct ones or not.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=5016471000

Vartech

Established Member
Finally getting to do this. I installed the cluster and select a shifter and ran all the wiring. I installed the abs module. Can someone answer the last few questions. I am using a vcmII with 108.01 I did pats to be able to turn car on. the questions come with programming pcm and abs to 2014. do I just program them by giving ids a 2014 vin and do a pcm and abs reprogramming? also is there a way to get my vin # on the pcm?

fishpick

Established Member
Finally getting to do this. I installed the cluster and select a shifter and ran all the wiring. I installed the abs module. Can someone answer the last few questions. I am using a vcmII with 108.01 I did pats to be able to turn car on. the questions come with programming pcm and abs to 2014. do I just program them by giving ids a 2014 vin and do a pcm and abs reprogramming? also is there a way to get my vin # on the pcm?
Yes - you need a 13/14 Vin close to your car in config .auto vs manual and performance pack vs not for brakes.
Now - you can get your VIN on the PCM and ABS - but to do so you need to pull the ASBUILT file for your car and the target VIN car and then edit the XML so your VIN references the other build .
You stick that file in the IDS directory where the modules get saved .
Then disconnect your IDSIDS compu from the internet.
Then start the flash. Every time it asks you for one of the files it can't download - you need to manually pull the file and toss it into the directory for IDS .
And ta da - it's your VIN on a car built with different specs!

Vartech

Established Member
Yes - you need a 13/14 Vin close to your car in config .auto vs manual and performance pack vs not for brakes.
Now - you can get your VIN on the PCM and ABS - but to do so you need to pull the ASBUILT file for your car and the target VIN car and then edit the XML so your VIN references the other build .
You stick that file in the IDS directory where the modules get saved .
Then disconnect your IDSIDS compu from the internet.
Then start the flash. Every time it asks you for one of the files it can't download - you need to manually pull the file and toss it into the directory for IDS .
And ta da - it's your VIN on a car built with different specs!

thanks,
to make sure I got this right
1. program car with donor vin do abs and pcm. close ids and exit
2. get ASBUILT files for both car and donor and modify donor file and place in ids directory disconnect from internet connect to ids(when it ask if info is correct do I put my original vin or leave donor info?) also will the modified .ab file be the only one I need?(if not where do I get them) This is where I reflash abs and pcm and I should be done.

Can you provide me with more help or point me on how to and what edit in the xml. I pulled asbuilt for donor and mine they are .ab files.

fishpick

Established Member
thanks,
to make sure I got this right
1. program car with donor vin do abs and pcm. close ids and exit
2. get ASBUILT files for both car and donor and modify donor file and place in ids directory disconnect from internet connect to ids(when it ask if info is correct do I put my original vin or leave donor info?) also will the modified .ab file be the only one I need?(if not where do I get them) This is where I reflash abs and pcm and I should be done.

Can you provide me with more help or point me on how to and what edit in the xml. I pulled asbuilt for donor and mine they are .ab files.
nope - step 1 only happens after you have the modified asbuilt file.
And I think they are all .ab - but if you open them in a text editor - they are really just XML.

SO - you edit the file to put the donor module information for the PCM and ABS into your .ab file (replacing your information) with your vin and the rest of your car.

You put the modified file in the directory on the IDS system that it reads the files from...

disconnect the IDS laptop from the web

Start the flash process - telling IDS to overwrite your PCM first... using your vin... it should read in the asbuilt and try to get the correct file from the mothership to update the PCM... it won't be able to find the file because it's disconnected - and on mine it pops up a box telling me it can't reach the mothership - go get file ABCxyz.somthing from http://somehing-or-other

You will have to DL that file manually (and several others it asks for) - and stick them in the IDS directory where the asbuilt was read from... it will use those to flash things.

AND - when al lis done - remember to do a calibration on the ABS module :) (that's a function in IDS)

Vartech

Established Member
nope - step 1 only happens after you have the modified asbuilt file.
And I think they are all .ab - but if you open them in a text editor - they are really just XML.

SO - you edit the file to put the donor module information for the PCM and ABS into your .ab file (replacing your information) with your vin and the rest of your car.

You put the modified file in the directory on the IDS system that it reads the files from...

disconnect the IDS laptop from the web

Start the flash process - telling IDS to overwrite your PCM first... using your vin... it should read in the asbuilt and try to get the correct file from the mothership to update the PCM... it won't be able to find the file because it's disconnected - and on mine it pops up a box telling me it can't reach the mothership - go get file ABCxyz.somthing from http://somehing-or-other

You will have to DL that file manually (and several others it asks for) - and stick them in the IDS directory where the asbuilt was read from... it will use those to flash things.

AND - when al lis done - remember to do a calibration on the ABS module :) (that's a function in IDS)

Thanks Fishpick you are a life saver. I took my vin ab file and edited the lines for pcm,icm(cluster since I have auto and cluster came from manual) and abs. disabled the internet. I placed modded file in ids requested location and began asbuilt for modules. the funny thing it just ask me to input the values for cluster and abs and did not ask to get files, it did ask if the ab file was in the proper location. after it was all done the cluster had track apps and gauges and the s showed when I went into sport. I am getting three errors 1. lost conmmunication with front display interface module(is this because I added oem nav?) 2. Steering wheel audio switch pack 2 in acm and apim. (is this also because I added oem nav and switched the switches?) I have some bolt on mods so the car is running ruff and gave me a wrench. I have to install a tune for the engine mods . Do I request one as if my car was a 13/14 car correct?

fishpick

Established Member
Thanks Fishpick you are a life saver. I took my vin ab file and edited the lines for pcm,icm(cluster since I have auto and cluster came from manual) and abs. disabled the internet. I placed modded file in ids requested location and began asbuilt for modules. the funny thing it just ask me to input the values for cluster and abs and did not ask to get files, it did ask if the ab file was in the proper location. after it was all done the cluster had track apps and gauges and the s showed when I went into sport. I am getting three errors 1. lost conmmunication with front display interface module(is this because I added oem nav?) 2. Steering wheel audio switch pack 2 in acm and apim. (is this also because I added oem nav and switched the switches?) I have some bolt on mods so the car is running ruff and gave me a wrench. I have to install a tune for the engine mods . Do I request one as if my car was a 13/14 car correct?
You may need to update the cluster as-built data to match your car... my cluster came from a manual and i have an auto - and it would not show the select a shift gears until i changed the cluster as built...
AND - I had to keep flashing my stereo with various as built codes to get one that didn't error AND would make my buttons work...

As for a tune - yes - make sure when you go to the tuner you tell them you did the cluster swap and give them the strategy off the PCM that shows in your tuner device (SCT or HP) - NOT the sticker on the PCM... that is no longer correct.
They won't blow up your car using the wrong strategy - but you will lose gauges and stuff you just worked so hard to get :)

Vartech

Established Member
You may need to update the cluster as-built data to match your car... my cluster came from a manual and i have an auto - and it would not show the select a shift gears until i changed the cluster as built...
AND - I had to keep flashing my stereo with various as built codes to get one that didn't error AND would make my buttons work...

As for a tune - yes - make sure when you go to the tuner you tell them you did the cluster swap and give them the strategy off the PCM that shows in your tuner device (SCT or HP) - NOT the sticker on the PCM... that is no longer correct.
They won't blow up your car using the wrong strategy - but you will lose gauges and stuff you just worked so hard to get :)

The only issue I am having is the sync button on the steering wheel or the phone hang up does not work and I think that is causing the fault. I did get a new switch as per nav install instructions. I am wondering if the switch needs to be for a 2013/2014 vs 2010/2012. Do you know if the switches are different?

fishpick

Established Member
Same
The only issue I am having is the sync button on the steering wheel or the phone hang up does not work and I think that is causing the fault. I did get a new switch as per nav install instructions. I am wondering if the switch needs to be for a 2013/2014 vs 2010/2012. Do you know if the switches are different?
switch - you did the pin rewiring and all right - the D Pad works for navigating the menus?
If so - then I would guess you may need to reprogram the audio control module... take the VIN of the premium that the radio came out of - and make sure the AS-BUILT for that is on the radio itself... That's the most likely the issue - IMHO.

Vartech

Established Member
Same

switch - you did the pin rewiring and all right - the D Pad works for navigating the menus?
If so - then I would guess you may need to reprogram the audio control module... take the VIN of the premium that the radio came out of - and make sure the AS-BUILT for that is on the radio itself... That's the most likely the issue - IMHO.
I used a 2014 steering wheel harness so the left switch works as it should. I was told that the sync module has to be a sync module with nav. My car had a sync module but no nav. I programed the acm with info from 2014 mustang. So I going to see if I can get a sync module with nav or have mine programmed(or find out how). Unless someone can offer other options.

Vartech

Established Member
I was able to use forscan to program the APIM still getting issue but now the error is only acm error Description B1201 steering audio switch pack 2 Failire type 1C circuit out of range. Status 0A (current DTC) Fault is currently present Diagnostic Protocol -14229

fishpick

Established Member
I was able to use forscan to program the APIM still getting issue but now the error is only acm error Description B1201 steering audio switch pack 2 Failire type 1C circuit out of range. Status 0A (current DTC) Fault is currently present Diagnostic Protocol -14229
Humm - did you maybe cross a wire or something in the steering wheel clock spring?

Vartech

Established Member
The only changes I did was the two wires for the d switch. I used a steering wheel harness from a 2014 so cutting or changes to harness. Ordered a 13/14 switch to test. Nothing to do but wait for it arrive. Thanks fishpick. by the way Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic strip ever.

fishpick

Established Member
The only changes I did was the two wires for the d switch. I used a steering wheel harness from a 2014 so cutting or changes to harness. Ordered a 13/14 switch to test. Nothing to do but wait for it arrive. Thanks fishpick. by the way Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic strip ever.
Just saw - Rochester?!?
Going to Shriners Cruise Nite / Fish Fry in Webster tonight by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread