2013 Explorer Sport

andymarkv

Established Member
No boost gauge, seat of the pants feel is very good, even off the line w/o boost. Yes on the paddle shifters, the XSport is the only Explorer that comes with them and I like them a lot, especially when going in for the quick pass, just hit the down shift paddle and you're in the next lower gear, no waiting for the trans to kick down by itself; they're also convenient for engine compression braking.

I'm going in next week for some dyno pulls to get base numbers, the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust will be installed the first week of March.
Shoot...I was hoping they would have a "track app" where you could see the boost and A/F ratio... All of that info must be available to from the PCM, it just needs to be routed to a display.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the exhaust! I haven't heard too many V6 systems that I like.
How is the stock exhaust note? Is there any? Or did they keep it quiet and refined?

Are the paddle shifters quick to react? It used to be a common complaint a few years ago that you would bump the paddle and there was a delay. I'm hoping that has been addressed by now!

Can't wait to see your dyno results!

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I'll be interested to see what you think of the exhaust! I haven't heard too many V6 systems that I like.
How is the stock exhaust note? Is there any? Or did they keep it quiet and refined?

Are the paddle shifters quick to react? It used to be a common complaint a few years ago that you would bump the paddle and there was a delay. I'm hoping that has been addressed by now!

Paddle shifters are instantaneous. Stock exhaust note is dull/boring, I removed the middle resonator/muffler and replaced it with straight pipes, it livened it up slightly w/no drone issues.

Here's the Magnaflow cat-back system:

[youtube_browser]rau8zJMdiDQ[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]3Go53-FoQsQ[/youtube_browser]

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
OP, nice ride! I'm really like these myself, just not a huge fan of the front end look. Other than that I love them. Just wondering if ur hauling kids around and how much u miss the interior volume of the expedition? I have an 09 expedition and three kids and don't know if I can live with the smaller interior.

Missed this question...It's a step down for sure, you'll lose 1/3 of your cargo area from a Expedition to an Explorer, assuming you have the standard length Expedition. The second row bench seat is narrower in the Explorer, three good size people are cramped; I'd consider optioning the rear bucket seats if I did it over again.

The third row is cramped for most average sized adults, the leg room is narrow; for kids it would be fine; with the 3rd row seats up the rear cargo area is about 18-inches deep.

If I had three kids I'd be driving a new, or slightly used, Expedition, or something similar; but for our family (2 kids) the Explorer works well for most trips; longer trips would work better with some additional storage like a roof rack or cargo pod, I'm already planning on getting a roof rack for camping trips this summer.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
WP - Please get some more pics up when you can. If you are taking requests i'd like to see the seats folded down how much space you get, engine bay (can you see the turbos), interior and what the ambient lighting looks like if you got that,dash cluster and radio area.

xchamp

Established Member
Missed this question...It's a step down for sure, you'll lose 1/3 of your cargo area from a Expedition to an Explorer, assuming you have the standard length Expedition. The second row bench seat is narrower in the Explorer, three good size people are cramped; I'd consider optioning the rear bucket seats if I did it over again.

The third row is cramped for most average sized adults, the leg room is narrow; for kids it would be fine; with the 3rd row seats up the rear cargo area is about 18-inches deep.

If I had three kids I'd be driving a new, or slightly used, Expedition, or something similar; but for our family (2 kids) the Explorer works well for most trips; longer trips would work better with some additional storage like a roof rack or cargo pod, I'm already planning on getting a roof rack for camping trips this summer.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Well I hope I can live with the interior space. Ordered a silver sport today!! Now all three of my fords will be "forced induction" !!:beer:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Well I hope I can live with the interior space. Ordered a silver sport today!! Now all three of my fords will be "forced induction" !!:beer:

Just traded my Expedition in for a Silver Sport Explorer. I don't really miss the extra space as the Explorer is not too small, just smaller. The driver feel is soo much better. Enjoy.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I went with Ruby Red with the sienna trimmed interior. Also splurged for the 402A, moonroof and tow package. I'll post up some pics next week when I get it.

That's what I just got, minus the tow package. It is a very nice SUV, but I've been TDY too much and have only driven it about a week.

Lance

4DRHTRD

Ecoboosted!!!!
Established Member
If any of you guys pick one up in the Phoenix area please let me know, PPE Engineering would like to test fit a set of pipes on your Explorer.

longoe01

Established Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum (or any forum) and I just picked up a 2013 Xsport for my wife. Interested in installing CAI and maybe cat back exhaust. Can any of you can share results after CAI installation and if the cat backs would sound weak on this 6 cyl. engine. Will keep an eye out for your feed back - thanks

longoe01

Established Member
awesome... Any feed back on the results after the cai install? Did you notice performance and MPG improvement? What about the sound? - I was told that the CAI alone could give the engine a deeper throttle sound - let me know and thanks

fr03cobra

Established Member
you can hear the cai breathing in when you hit the gas. I have not seen to much improvement on gas mileage sense i stay in the throttle. I love the boost. the xpipe is expensive with cats and my wife would not like all the noise with the xpipe without cats.lol I did that to my f150 ecoboost the no cats xpipe.lol

2013+ Ecoboost Explorer Sport - Mak Performance

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
I sold my 2007 Expedition EL and got a black 2014 Explorer Sport. I love it. It's pretty fast for a SUV, handles great and looks good inside and out. Not sure about gas mileage cant seem to drive w/o hitting the gas every where I go. It also does extremely well in the snow. Very happy...
2014ExplorerSport.gif

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Sorry for bumping an old thread...but Just picked up one myself.

Will probably start with a CAI & Tuner, Anyone got a link for places that offer a package?

BEF691B2-F492-4CD0-89A2-98766FF872E5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread