2013 Boss 302 LS vs 2013 GT500 SVTP - Opinions on Handling / Road Race Track Ability?

For Road Racing Primarily - Which is the better choice?

• 2013 GT500 with Perf/Track Package

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

Votes: 99 79.8%

• Total voters

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I can tell you from my point of view. I'm 43 and have had over 60 cars.

The Boss is the coolest car I've ever owned. May not be the fastest buy it is the most fun.

Many of you know my Shelby...1200rwhp....Big deal...400rwhp is more fun. This thing is like a slot car and so balanced. IMHO.

Good luck with your choice. I didn't think the Shelby was worth the 20k more.

By the way the Boss stereo SUCKS!! Only complaint!!

Tony

I was in the same boat buy a 2013 Boss 302 or a 2014 Shelby GT500.
I went with the Shelby & maybe one day buy a good used 2013 Boss.
I had a 2000 Cobra R #225/300.All I can say is wow when you're driving that beast.
If the boss 302 is anything like the 2000 Cobra R you're in for a treat & all I can say is HOLD on.
Because it's a joy too drive.
Also had a 2003 S281 Cobra #97 & was a great unit but now near like the 2000 Cobra R was.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

germeezy1

Established Member
Or a Boss 302 with a Roushcharger or some twins.

True, and really most track cars are under 700 rwhp anyway. I prefer the GT500 because if my goal was a track only car I would start with a base 2011 , and do Griggs or Cortex suspensions with the SLA front, and Watts Link rear. If you are going to modify the Boss for power why not start off with a GT, and put the savings into building a true track beast? I think the GT500 makes a great track/ street car for most drivers.

LostPony

Established Member
I voted Boss. I have driven the my standard Boss, a '12 LS, and a '13 GT500 all on the same course at different times. I liked the larger front brakes of the GT500 and may add them to my Boss. It turned in okay, but not with the precision of the Boss in either LS or standard trim. In the Boss I am able to dip into the power harder and sooner than I could in the GT500, which resulted in the Boss being equally fast if not faster in tighter sections of the track. The GT500 was quicker down longer straights where I could stay in it longer.

I have also driven the Shelby GT350 on the same course in 625HP trim. Still no comparison to the Boss for overall feel and precision. Adding a blower and increasing power will I think result in similar driving style as GT500, in other words, having to wait a little longer to get to the power when exiting a turn. I know this keeps coming up in these threads about Boss vs whatever and adding a blower, but I still feel that most if not all should just drive the damn thing for a while in stock trim, and THEN decide if a blower is needed.

So much of your lap times depend on the driver on a road course. I have seen the Boss pass a ZL1 on the course just because the driver was a little better and listened to his instructor. In my own sessions on track in the instructor run groups, I have only been passed by full on race cars with more than 300HP, or higher end sports cars like Vettes and GT3 Porsches on R-compound tires.

The best part of that? I don't even push the car that hard because I remind myself before nearly every turn that I still owe many years of payments on it and USAA won't cover me on track.

In the end, it is your money and both cars are awesome machines. I don't think either one will let you down in the "grin" factor!

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I voted Boss. I have driven the my standard Boss, a '12 LS, and a '13 GT500 all on the same course at different times. I liked the larger front brakes of the GT500 and may add them to my Boss. It turned in okay, but not with the precision of the Boss in either LS or standard trim. In the Boss I am able to dip into the power harder and sooner than I could in the GT500, which resulted in the Boss being equally fast if not faster in tighter sections of the track. The GT500 was quicker down longer straights where I could stay in it longer.

I have also driven the Shelby GT350 on the same course in 625HP trim. Still no comparison to the Boss for overall feel and precision. Adding a blower and increasing power will I think result in similar driving style as GT500, in other words, having to wait a little longer to get to the power when exiting a turn. I know this keeps coming up in these threads about Boss vs whatever and adding a blower, but I still feel that most if not all should just drive the damn thing for a while in stock trim, and THEN decide if a blower is needed.

So much of your lap times depend on the driver on a road course. I have seen the Boss pass a ZL1 on the course just because the driver was a little better and listened to his instructor. In my own sessions on track in the instructor run groups, I have only been passed by full on race cars with more than 300HP, or higher end sports cars like Vettes and GT3 Porsches on R-compound tires.

The best part of that? I don't even push the car that hard because I remind myself before nearly every turn that I still owe many years of payments on it and USAA won't cover me on track.

In the end, it is your money and both cars are awesome machines. I don't think either one will let you down in the "grin" factor!

Fully agree!!

roushracin

Established Member
Loving this thread. Thanks OP for posting. I too am torn between which one to get. I've read this whole thread and the one question I have is, which car is better for everyday driving? I know going to a road course the Boss is a lot of fun and going to the strip the Shelby would be a beast down the quarter mile but if I wanted to take my Mustang out of the garage and go for a cruise on a Sunday afternoon, which one would you pick?

TRDon

Established Member
Gt500 absolutely. you can start by pulling a Shelby out of the garage without having to put in a separate garage door opener. it has all the niceties of a modern car without giving up everything because it is "race car". don't get me wrong, I do love my boss, but if I had a chance to get a Shelby gt500, I would in a heartbeat.

Para81

Established Member
The Boss drives a lot nicer than my Griggs Shelby. I was originally going to keep both but decided against it. Sold the Shelby for 30,500 today.

germeezy1

Established Member
The Boss drives a lot nicer than my Griggs Shelby. I was originally going to keep both but decided against it. Sold the Shelby for 30,500 today.

You have got to be kidding me.....$30,500 for a Griggs car? What level Griggs GR40 SS? SLA or Watts Link?

Users who are viewing this thread