2013 Boss 302 LS vs 2013 GT500 SVTP - Opinions on Handling / Road Race Track Ability?

For Road Racing Primarily - Which is the better choice?

• 2013 GT500 with Perf/Track Package

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

Votes: 99 79.8%

• Total voters

Dadz500

Established Member
Dadz, Great comparison and opinion. Especially to the guys who may not track the car, but remember the days of old, when it was really great to have a car that was made for power and not with so many comfort amenities.

I begged my dad to let me buy a COPO Chevelle we saw in Miami (circa August 1969?) A car without any flags, emblems, but with a 427 and Hurst 4 speed!

I remember when the original Boss came out and many other Muscle Cars that we called "sleepers".

Those are the things that I appreciate about the new Boss. Radio? I'd rather listen to the high rev engine and loud exhaust.

I appreciate your posts and insights. Thanks.

I think that the limited opportunity of the Boss is too good to pass up, even over the phenomenal GT 500.

I've noticed the Shelby guys strain their necks to look at the Boss.

Thanks. I just had a Forum member here from Italy to look at my Shelby, he has one on order but had yet to see one or drive one. He came to see and drive mine followed up by a drive in my red Boss. I think he was very surprised when he got into the Boss. While the Shelby is certainly faster, the Boss is just so entertaining to drive. He felt it right away and commented about how can you not smile every time you get in this car. He is 100% correct. The fun factor is just there and Ford did such an incredible job on this car. As most of you know I just bought my 3rd Boss to add to the stable. I could have either bought another Boss or another Shelby, but I went with the Boss. For day to to day fun, Boss wins, period. The Shelby is a great car, great fun to drive and is blazing fast, but IMO the Boss is still more "special" and the sound with TracKey and the baffles removed is a BEAUTIFUL thing that can't be replicated with aftermarket exhaust.

I am not a track driver, road course or race track. I am hoping after my back surgery to get to to the Track Attack event and then spend some time learning in various classes how to be a better driver. The Boss will be the Vehicle of choice for these events for obvious reasons, but I am sure once I begin to do this I will realize how much the Boss actually shines in reality and not just the day to day driving experience.

Anyone who is up in the air, if you are ever near Daytona Beach, just PM me and you can drive them both so you can make an educated choice on which car will be your next.

86Fbody

Established Member
I've noticed the Shelby guys strain their necks to look at the Boss.

I think that's because they know it is a much more exclusive car, that and with the money you save buying a Boss you might have a twinscrew or turbo under the hood, and that should scare them.

tjtucker

Established Member
2013 Boss or 2012 Boss LG

All great thread now I want to go drive a new Boss.
I had a 2008 Saleen and traded it for 2010 Evo MR.
I liked the Saleen but it felt like a Huge car compared to the MR,

Which one would you buy a low 5,000 mile 2012 Boss LG or a new Boss 2013?

I will use the car to replace the MR which will be split as a daily driver with my other car.

Thanks TJ

Boss949

Established Member
All great thread now I want to go drive a new Boss.
I had a 2008 Saleen and traded it for 2010 Evo MR.
I liked the Saleen but it felt like a Huge car compared to the MR,

Which one would you buy a low 5,000 mile 2012 Boss LG or a new Boss 2013?

I will use the car to replace the MR which will be split as a daily driver with my other car.

Thanks TJ

The 2013.

I know of SBY and RR in Orlando for under MSRP if you are interested. Not sure about the deals here in DFW area.

Boss949

Established Member
Dadz500

May your back surgery go better than planned. I just had a Hip Replacement in January (head on collision in Orlando in 1996; young girl lost control of her borrowed MUSTANG GT!). I feel like a new man.

I'm waiting to get my Boss Owner's kit and I've put my name on the waiting list for Track Attack.

We come 2 or 3 times per year to visit my mom, who lives in Ponce Inlet; Maybe we'll get together?

Beef Supreme

Established Member
Dadz, I think you may have swayed me towards the Boss. I may have to talk to you in a couple months, and possibly take you up on that test drive offer.

Dadz500

Established Member
Please don't let my opinion sway you, I would hate to be responsible for a decision you end up regretting. It's just my opinion. But regardless, I do love my Boss' and just don't see how anyone could ever regret getting one, they are just awesome and super balanced cars. As I said in another post, you can always throw a charger on a Boss and get the same power as a Shelby but without spending tons of money I don't think you can ever make a Shelby feel like a Boss. Even if you were willing to spend the cash I still don't think you could make a Shelby as well balanced and give it the same feeling. The Boss is in a league of its own in handling and balance just like the Shelby is in its own league when it comes to HP. But anytime you want to drive one back to back, just let me know. My cars are here to be driven.

Jroc

Established Member
I say go Boss 302 LS and add the 2013 GT500 brakes, and a T56 Magnum FTW maybe!?!?!?

If you could mod say a good streetable 500 whp that screams past 8K RPM's out of the Roadrunner, me thinks that would be very fun, very cool, and very effective.

I have no person driving experience with either car though. I'm just telling you what I think I would want.

Some good lowering springs to get the stance right would be good too, but at the same time you don't want to take away the # one benefit of the car, and that being it's handling, and track performance.

Dadz500

Established Member
Dadz500

May your back surgery go better than planned. I just had a Hip Replacement in January (head on collision in Orlando in 1996; young girl lost control of her borrowed MUSTANG GT!). I feel like a new man.

I'm waiting to get my Boss Owner's kit and I've put my name on the waiting list for Track Attack.

We come 2 or 3 times per year to visit my mom, who lives in Ponce Inlet; Maybe we'll get together?

Thanks, just trying to catch up on my Forum reading since my Surgery. Healing is coming along nicely and looking forward to being able to drive again soon. My cars sit in the garage and taunt me every time I walk outside. I have covered 3 out of the 4 so I can't tease myself and tempt myself in to breaking the rules and going for a drive, even an easy drive.

Anytime you are in the area let me know, always look forward to meeting fellow Forum Members and Mustang Enthusiasts.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
For road racing from the factory -- boss.

One thing people mention is that they like the stripped down car and the way a muscle car is supposed to be... I went with the 2013 Shelby just for the opposite reason. I wanted to be able to scream around a track, but enjoy the creature comforts that make drives worthwhile. The only new cars we have ever owned are for my wife. I drive old noisy diesel trucks and pray the AC works on the hot days. I like a nice radio and navigation. The Shelby's just do it for me (my 2013 is being delivered Oct 31st -- can't wait).

kbroush

Established Member
For road racing from the factory -- boss.

One thing people mention is that they like the stripped down car and the way a muscle car is supposed to be... I went with the 2013 Shelby just for the opposite reason. I wanted to be able to scream around a track, but enjoy the creature comforts that make drives worthwhile. The only new cars we have ever owned are for my wife. I drive old noisy diesel trucks and pray the AC works on the hot days. I like a nice radio and navigation. The Shelby's just do it for me (my 2013 is being delivered Oct 31st -- can't wait).

The new GT500's are an awesome car for sure. I bought my BOSS for the opposite reason you bought the shelby! Technically my BOSS has more options than my 2004 Roush Mustang had so it's really not too stripped down. If you compare it to a new Shelby then yes it has no options that is true. For a street car that sees more straight lines that curves the GT500 would be the best and that's what most people care about anyways. The BOSS is just more agile.

Highway Star

Established Member
I just do not understand why anyone who wants to track their car would put a blower on a Boss. I think if you want a b lower get a GT500. But a blower at the track is not going to do much because you will be coughing up fluid by lap four. Overheating, heatsoaking, A tuned Boss with headers will give you all the HP you need without the ridiculous heat your blower is going to produce. Putting a blower on a boss is damn near sacrilege. I guess it is just me. Maybe for juvenile stoplight runs but not for skilled and sustained driving.

Highway Star

Established Member
Buy a Boss and do a naturally aspirated build. Port the heads and get some cams and headers. You will be putting well over 500 HP to the wheel. You will not be sorry on the street or the track. You will be able to spin it up to 8400. Gear shifts at 8000 will feel like being shot into hyperspace. You won't have to wrestle a big nose heavy pig around the track. With a Torsen you will come out of corners at 7000 rpm with your hair on fire. And the sound . . . . .the sound. There is nothing like it that costs less than $180,000.

kbroush

Established Member
Buy a Boss and do a naturally aspirated build. Port the heads and get some cams and headers. You will be putting well over 500 HP to the wheel. You will not be sorry on the street or the track. You will be able to spin it up to 8400. Gear shifts at 8000 will feel like being shot into hyperspace. You won't have to wrestle a big nose heavy pig around the track. With a Torsen you will come out of corners at 7000 rpm with your hair on fire. And the sound . . . . .the sound. There is nothing like it that costs less than $180,000.

I agree the sound alone is worth it!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i just do not understand why anyone who wants to track their car would put a blower on a boss. I think if you want a b lower get a gt500. But a blower at the track is not going to do much because you will be coughing up fluid by lap four. Overheating, heatsoaking, a tuned boss with headers will give you all the hp you need without the ridiculous heat your blower is going to produce. Putting a blower on a boss is damn near sacrilege. I guess it is just me. Maybe for juvenile stoplight runs but not for skilled and sustained driving.

+1

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i think the most relative words in that post were "all the hp you need". i think a lot of mustang performance car enthusiasts are VERY hung up on horsepower numbers. they have to be big. they should be bigger than the next guy's numbers whenever possible.

no mustang races professionally at over 400whp. going to the road course is about your driving first and foremost. not about the size of your hp arc on the dyno sheet. you learn this the first time you see a guy in a 240whp car demanding a point by from you in your 700whp blown mustang.

Rebel302

Established Member
I just do not understand why anyone who wants to track their car would put a blower on a Boss. I think if you want a b lower get a GT500. But a blower at the track is not going to do much because you will be coughing up fluid by lap four. Overheating, heatsoaking, A tuned Boss with headers will give you all the HP you need without the ridiculous heat your blower is going to produce. Putting a blower on a boss is damn near sacrilege. I guess it is just me. Maybe for juvenile stoplight runs but not for skilled and sustained driving.

+3

i think the most relative words in that post were "all the hp you need". i think a lot of mustang performance car enthusiasts are VERY hung up on horsepower numbers. they have to be big. they should be bigger than the next guy's numbers whenever possible.

no mustang races professionally at over 400whp. going to the road course is about your driving first and foremost. not about the size of your hp arc on the dyno sheet. you learn this the first time you see a guy in a 240whp car demanding a point by from you in your 700whp blown mustang.
werd.gif

WhiteKnite

Established Member

I think it's a social and economic reasons. Everyone as a teenager ends up on the street cruising and might end up racing someone from light to light. Evenually that might lead to "moding" ones car so that they don't get embarrassed by their peers. They come back with their higher HP car and look to beat the next kid that challenges them; again, in a straight line, quick ended race.

This type of racer has no clue how much different racing on a road course be it NASCAR, Indy, F1 (pro) or Wold Challenge, Grand-AM, American Iron NASA can be taxing on the engine or driver.

Heck, just taking my 2000 LS1 Firebird on five laps at Summit Point pushes the tires, breaks, and engine to its endurance limits. I'm so glad my first run back in 2003 I bought race pads, fuild and tires or I'd be going home within 10 minutes after those five laps.

I can't wait to take my 2013 Boss on the track this coming March. :banana:

DepWraith

Established Member
This is an interesting thread. I have a slightly modded '13 GT500 with the SVTPP and track pack. The OP doesn't mention where his car will see most of its action, but seeing how we are talking about street cars and there was no mention of frequent track days, lets assume street driving.

That said, in the 6,000 miles I've had mine I haven't any better "handling" cars out run me anywhere on the streets. Maybe there aren't enough curvy roads where people would have the chance to run each other. My car eats up on and off ramps, as well as the many banked interstates where I live at incredible speeds.

Also mention of the "exclusivity" of the boss...they made 4211 this year right? Don't know GT500 numbers yet, but guessing they are close and it does come with the most powerful production V-8 in the world.

Someone also mentioned the Boss is more fun to drive, and probably so on the track. I haven't driven one, so can't comment on the street fun factor, but I smile every time I drive my Shelby and can't count the number of smiles I see on other motorists faces.

Seems to me both the Boss and GT500 are purpose built cars; the Boss for the road course and the GT500 for everywhere else.

If anyone lives near Tampa with a Boss and knows of some streets they wanna test this theory out on just let me know. (Just kidding)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread