2013 Boss 302 LS vs 2013 GT500 SVTP - Opinions on Handling / Road Race Track Ability?

For Road Racing Primarily - Which is the better choice?

• 2013 GT500 with Perf/Track Package

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

Votes: 99 79.8%

• Total voters

Silver TT

Established Member
Trying to decide on the next horse in the stable and whether it should be a 2013 Boss or 2013 GT500. Obviously very different cars but given they are reasonably close in price and both very special Mustangs, I thought I'd ask some of you guys your opinions on choosing one or the other.

I've also seen some FS postings of guys with twin screw Boss' with $20k in aftermarket parts and 3k miles who are trading them in for 2013 GT500s which just doesn't seem to make any sense to me given a Boss with a twin screw and 685 rwhp will easily blow away a 2013 GT500 in a straight line and also on a race track.

I love the idea of a factory warranty with 650hp but if its heavier and doesn't handle as well - even with the adjustable bilsteins - then I am going with the Boss and will likely do a twin screw or Vortech (whichever is superior for road racing).

Articles like this are somewhat persuading me towards Boss so would love opinions of guys who have driven both.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 - On Track - Automobile Magazine

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I voted for the Boss (either version) over the GT500. The GT500 will probably be faster and has better brakes but I think the Boss is still the better track car over the long haul. The cost savings will allow you to buy track rotors/pads along with wheels and tires and still be ahead. As many of us are finding out there are some reasonably priced suspension mods from Ford Racing that will take the Boss to the next level.

str3ck

Established Member
while i didn't buy a GT500, but i drove a buddies 12' and still decided on the Boss. the Boss has less features and options, but is so much more fun to drive.

sure in totally stock form the GT500 will outrun the Boss in a straight line, and you have the wonderful sound of a blower. however the boss can have all the HP added to it to make it outrun the GT500 with a set of longtubes and a vortech kit, and still be able to handle like it's on rails.

just my .02, but i am of course a little bias.

jlwdvm

Established Member
I"m in the same boat. My 2011 GT is built with a Strano handling package, tune, etc, but thinking about trading. One thing that worries me about the Boss and adding a blower is the trans handling the extra power.

str3ck

Established Member
well basically the Boss and the GT500 are two different animals. one handles like a slot car, but not as much straight line power. the other handles better than average, but has massive brute force. to have the best of both worlds, you are going to have to modify one or the other. and while the MT-82 in my Boss does concern me, i still think adding power to the Boss is better than trying to get the GT500 to handle as well as the boss does.

if money is your concern, the boss route would be cheaper (assuming nothing breaks), and on top of everything else, you'd own a mother frakkin' Boss 302.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I'm having this debate as well, and leaning towards the Boss for several reasons. The biggest thing that ticks me with the Boss is no decent stereo. I know it's a more back-to-basics type of car, but Ford's stock radios suck ass.

Vista6019

Established Member
This past weekend, I had the opportunity of riding in both the new GT500 as well as the new Boss LS around Hallett Motor Circuit during the Mid American Team Shelby and Ford Nationals. I spent about 15 minutes in each vehicle doing some very fast laps with one of the Ford SVT Engineers. It was an amazing experience to say the least. Some observations: For road course work, I would take the Boss without question as it has a much more neutral handling bias, is lighter and has sharper turn in. The power delivery is much more linear and the car is very forgiving. My impression as a passenger is that the Boss, although down on HP is a very formidable and capable vehicle from the factory and in the hands of a capable driver is very fast. The GT 500 on the other hand has simply astounding power delivery coming out of corners. It is a little heavier, with the weight bias on the front, but much improved since Ford switched to the aluminum blocks. The new 6 piston Brembo brakes are simply amazing, allowing the driver very high corner entry speeds and the ability to brake very deep. From the factory, the new GT500 has a bit more body roll than the Boss, but understandably, there are some major physics at work with all of that horsepower in play. Yet the car goes where you point it, and is very forgiving. It just gets there very, very quickly. A mountain of torque is available at any point and passing on even short straights seemed effortless. Both vehicles are incredibly competent, yet the Boss is more refined on the road course and offers less drama. The GT500 will amaze you with the power delivery and handles very well, yet I got the feeling that the car, with all that HP can overwhelm the chassis a bit (on a road course) and found the driver having to provide more input to keep the vehicle where he wanted it. Just my two cents..

Tank5879

Established Member
The stock stereo in this car is better than you would think. I was debating GT vs Boss, and before I had the chance to experience the Boss stereo, I decided if I wasn't happy with it that was going to be relatively cheap and easy to upgrade the stereo with aftermarket stuff, as opposed to upgrading engine internals, suspension, etc. ford put the money into the good stuff on this car. I would say the stereo is maybe just below my 04 cobra Mach 460 was, but I hardly want any music with the sounds this car makes!

ORANGE CRUSH

Bayou City Terminator
Established Member
This past weekend, I had the opportunity of riding in both the new GT500 as well as the new Boss LS around Hallett Motor Circuit during the Mid American Team Shelby and Ford Nationals. I spent about 15 minutes in each vehicle doing some very fast laps with one of the Ford SVT Engineers. It was an amazing experience to say the least. Some observations: For road course work, I would take the Boss without question as it has a much more neutral handling bias, is lighter and has sharper turn in. The power delivery is much more linear and the car is very forgiving. My impression as a passenger is that the Boss, although down on HP is a very formidable and capable vehicle from the factory and in the hands of a capable driver is very fast. The GT 500 on the other hand has simply astounding power delivery coming out of corners. It is a little heavier, with the weight bias on the front, but much improved since Ford switched to the aluminum blocks. The new 6 piston Brembo brakes are simply amazing, allowing the driver very high corner entry speeds and the ability to brake very deep. From the factory, the new GT500 has a bit more body roll than the Boss, but understandably, there are some major physics at work with all of that horsepower in play. Yet the car goes where you point it, and is very forgiving. It just gets there very, very quickly. A mountain of torque is available at any point and passing on even short straights seemed effortless. Both vehicles are incredibly competent, yet the Boss is more refined on the road course and offers less drama. The GT500 will amaze you with the power delivery and handles very well, yet I got the feeling that the car, with all that HP can overwhelm the chassis a bit (on a road course) and found the driver having to provide more input to keep the vehicle where he wanted it. Just my two cents..

Nice feed back. Thanks.

Silver TT

Established Member
Great info, particularly the direct comparison of the two on a rack track this past weekend. Can't get much more relevant data points than that.

Appreciate it.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have driven nearly every tuner, factory Mustang made. I have not yet driven a 13 GT500 though. But I have driven a 12 Super Snake and would think the 13 GT500 would be similar except for the gearing. With that said I find the Boss a more balanced and fun car to drive. Yes its not as fast in a straight line, but there is so much more to the Boss than the power. I thought I was in the market for a 13 GT500.... until I drove a 12 Boss. Than I knew I wanted the more fun car...... the Boss!

I gotta say the 13 GT500 is bad ass though!!

kbroush

Established Member
I have driven nearly every tuner, factory Mustang made. I have not yet driven a 13 GT500 though. But I have driven a 12 Super Snake and would think the 13 GT500 would be similar except for the gearing. With that said I find the Boss a more balanced and fun car to drive. Yes its not as fast in a straight line, but there is so much more to the Boss than the power. I thought I was in the market for a 13 GT500.... until I drove a 12 Boss. Than I knew I wanted the more fun car...... the Boss!

I gotta say the 13 GT500 is bad ass though!!

I was looking at a 11 or 12 GT500 before I was looking at the boss. Im glad I went with the boss. I have only driven an 07 GT500 but would have to say my 13boss is way better in handling aspects and really feels just as fast. The boss is clearly lighter and more flickable in the turns. I like the fact it has no amenities and is "stripped down" thats the whole point! Its a modern day muscle car the way it should be! Im a huge fan of the Shelbys but I think the Boss is more fun to drive and more retro looking (because of the graphics). And I really think the stereo in it is better than the Mach460 in my 04 mustang. It could be because the interior noise is way lower in the new boss.

Silver TT

Established Member
If you guys were going to put a blower on the Boss 302 would you suggest a Vortech / Centrifugal or Whipple / Twin Screw style? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I am thinking the Vortech higher RPM power delivery might be better for a road racing track but curious in opinions of those who have experience with both or are road racing gurus. Also concerned about respective heat levels and if one is safer given similar power levels.

Grant808

Established Member
If you guys were going to put a blower on the Boss 302 would you suggest a Vortech / Centrifugal or Whipple / Twin Screw style? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I am thinking the Vortech higher RPM power delivery might be better for a road racing track but curious in opinions of those who have experience with both or are road racing gurus. Also concerned about respective heat levels and if one is safer given similar power levels.

For me, it would be a centrifugal and an air-air intercooler, underdriven, but oversized head unit. Push past 8,200 RPM, and see if it holds.

Dadz500

Established Member
I have both a 13' Shelby and two 302's. The 302 blows it away in fun factor, not even close IMO. I was really shocked when I bought my Boss and it was so much fun, I immediately started driving it all the time, have not touched the Shelby in almost 3 weeks. The Shelby is faster, no doubt, the Shelby offers more options, no doubt, the Boss is a better all around car IMO, no doubt. You can always make the Boss faster, you can never make the Shelby be as special of a car as the Boss is to drive. My worthless $.02.

Para81

Established Member
Boss all the way. I'm about to make the LS purchase myself, was even considering a used 997 GT3 but a Laguna Seca for 49k?? 8400rpm with a tune?? There is no car for under 120k that I would rather purchase.

86Fbody

Established Member
I have a Boss and would suggest it all day for track use. However, if I could choose I would get a GT500 and work with it a little to make it out handle a Boss or at least come close. I think in the hands of a very capable driver the GT500 would beat out a Boss.

Boss949

Established Member
I have both a 13' Shelby and two 302's. The 302 blows it away in fun factor, not even close IMO. I was really shocked when I bought my Boss and it was so much fun, I immediately started driving it all the time, have not touched the Shelby in almost 3 weeks. The Shelby is faster, no doubt, the Shelby offers more options, no doubt, the Boss is a better all around car IMO, no doubt. You can always make the Boss faster, you can never make the Shelby be as special of a car as the Boss is to drive. My worthless $.02.
Dadz, Great comparison and opinion. Especially to the guys who may not track the car, but remember the days of old, when it was really great to have a car that was made for power and not with so many comfort amenities.

I begged my dad to let me buy a COPO Chevelle we saw in Miami (circa August 1969?) A car without any flags, emblems, but with a 427 and Hurst 4 speed!

I remember when the original Boss came out and many other Muscle Cars that we called "sleepers".

Those are the things that I appreciate about the new Boss. Radio? I'd rather listen to the high rev engine and loud exhaust.

I appreciate your posts and insights. Thanks.

I think that the limited opportunity of the Boss is too good to pass up, even over the phenomenal GT 500.

I've noticed the Shelby guys strain their necks to look at the Boss.

Users who are viewing this thread