2013/14 Shelby Differential Build

Scott_GT_CS

Established Member
Bought a new housing part number DR3Z-4010-A, Ford Racing install kit M-4210-B1 and a TIMKEN M802048 inner pinion bearing, as I understand the Timken bearing is the same as the bearing that comes in the Ford bearing and cone assembly part number 6L2Z-4625-AB. When I place the M802048 bearing in the inner pinion bearing cone that was installed in the housing it just does not look right to me.

Should it look like this with the bearing sitting so low in the cone?

IMG_8213Medium_zpsdfb4146d.jpg

Here is the Timken M802048 bearing compared to the inner pinion bearing in the M-4210-B1 kit.

IMG_8135Medium_zpse7c9c6c9.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
Not good. Take a picture of the bearing on the left inserted into the outer race.

Last edited:

Joraft

Established Member
... When I place the M802048 bearing in the inner pinion bearing cone that was installed in the housing it just does not look right to me.

If by "inner" you mean the REAR pinion bearing, you should double check the part number. I think the M802048 is the FRONT pinion bearing.

In any case, the photos show that something is definitely wrong.

Scott_GT_CS

Established Member
Not good. Take a picture of the bearing on the left inserted into the outer race.

If by "inner" you mean the REAR pinion bearing, you should double check the part number. I think the M802048 is the FRONT pinion bearing.

In any case, the photos show that something is definitely wrong.

Here is a picture of the Timken M802048 (bearing on the left) in the outer pinion cone. Definitely not right.

IMG_8250Medium_zps4fa550f5.jpg

And here is the outer pinion bearing in the Ford Racing M-4210-B1 kit in the outer pinion cone. Definitely correct.

IMG_8249Medium_zps488ecc05.jpg

Any more ideas?

What is difficult to see in this picture is that the top of the Timken bearing looks level with the top of the race.

IMG_8219Medium_zps298f6cf3.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
The pinion bearing, the one pressed onto the pinion shaft next to the gear is larger on the 2013/14 GT500. It is suppose to be the same bearing used on the F-150 trucks. There are a few threads on this subject that state the correct part number. Try to find one of those threads.
Check with Tob, I think he has access to the correct part number.

Last edited:

Joraft

Established Member
Here is a picture of the Timken M802048 (bearing on the left) in the outer pinion cone. Definitely not right.

That's for sure! I went to some sites that sell Timken and they listed the M802048 as the front bearing for the GT500. A lot of part number confusion going on here.

I found this in another post, maybe it will be helpful:

"The '13-14 GT500, and '12-13 Boss with the Torsen, use a larger pinion bearing than all previous GT500's and Mustangs. It's considerably larger and not interchangeable when compared with the others. This bearing was originally used in the 2006-2010 Ford Explorers. It is Ford part number 6L2Z-4625-AB.

If you call your local Ford dealer without the part number, you'll get the wrong bearing. 6L2Z-4625-AB is the bearing you need, so give them that number. If you get a 9L3Z-4630-A, it is incorrect. That bearing fits '12 and older 8.8's. The 6L2Z bearing is only sold separate, and does NOT come in any install kits.

It is NOT a '12 F150 bearing. That bearing is substantially larger, and definitely won't work."

Scott_GT_CS

Established Member
The pinion bearing, the one pressed onto the pinion shaft next to the gear is larger on the 2013/14 GT500. It is suppose to be the same bearing used on the F-150 trucks. There are a few threads on this subject that state the correct part number. Try to find one of those threads.
Check with Tob, I think he has access to the correct part number.

That's for sure! I went to some sites that sell Timken and they listed the M802048 as the front bearing for the GT500. A lot of part number confusion going on here.

I found this in another post, maybe it will be helpful:

"The '13-14 GT500, and '12-13 Boss with the Torsen, use a larger pinion bearing than all previous GT500's and Mustangs. It's considerably larger and not interchangeable when compared with the others. This bearing was originally used in the 2006-2010 Ford Explorers. It is Ford part number 6L2Z-4625-AB.

If you call your local Ford dealer without the part number, you'll get the wrong bearing. 6L2Z-4625-AB is the bearing you need, so give them that number. If you get a 9L3Z-4630-A, it is incorrect. That bearing fits '12 and older 8.8's. The 6L2Z bearing is only sold separate, and does NOT come in any install kits.

It is NOT a '12 F150 bearing. That bearing is substantially larger, and definitely won't work."

Thanks, yes I saw those threads. I used the Ford OEM part number in my original post - 6L2Z-4625-AB and understand that the Timken M802048 is the bearing used by Ford.

Guess what I am hoping is someone that has actually installed gears in the 13-14 Shelby housing could confirm that the inner bearing looks right in the race?

Snoopy49

Established Member
It should look like the front bearing. Take a look at the rear bearing from the front and you will see part of the roller bearing floating in space. The rear bearing is to small in diameter, you need the larger diameter bearing.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you install that bearing on the pinion shaft, the bearing will never touch the race, because the gear will contact the outer race before the inner bearing does.

Joraft

Established Member
... I used the Ford OEM part number in my original post - 6L2Z-4625-AB and understand that the Timken M802048 is the bearing used by Ford.

Where did you get the info that they were interchangeable part numbers?

I'm very interested in the solution to your problem because I have also purchased a DR3Z-4010-A housing, and may face the same issue.

I can tell you one thing for sure, after many years of rebuilding transmissions and differentials, I have never seen a bearing that dropped down into the race like that.

Users who are viewing this thread