2012 vs 2013 Boss 302

El Jeffe

Established Member
Just fire up the Stang light under your side view mirror and put the call out....Im sure he'll show up and save you from yourself.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Is there anyone out there who prefers the look of the 2012 over the 2013? Don't get me wrong, both look great, but for some reason I prefer the 12!

Me, the 12 actually looks like the 69 Boss it was intended to mimic. The 13 doesn't IMO. Also, track apps and Sync are pointless in a track car.

The 2012 Boss suffers from over heating when tracked.

On the 2013 the redesigned front fascia with functional hood louvers addresses this. Additionally, the foglight block offs can be remove/replaced to help cooling.

Easy fix. 170* thermostat and 302S grille. Two track events in the south and car ran just fine.

86Fbody

Established Member
How simple is it to switch out the thermostat, doesn't reichards racing make one for the GT/Boss?

86Fbody

Established Member
They have the faux fogs cut out, and then mesh is safety wired in, they also have less behind the pont emblem.

SOCOMech

Established Member
Guess the Boss's didnt get the projection light side mirrors for 2013 that put the lighted mustang on the ground....and can't find where the Boss has the My color option it to change the color of the gauge lights....unless Im missing it on the menu somehow.
Also...where does it tell you how to remove the faux fog lamp covers....or do you just use a screw driver on the detent and lift up?

The Boss does not get "my color" or the pony image mirrors. Fog light caps just pop out with a small flat head.

Me, the 12 actually looks like the 69 Boss it was intended to mimic. The 13 doesn't IMO. Also, track apps and Sync are pointless in a track.

The 13's mimic the '70 Boss......the now sunken in tail lights and the 2 led strips in the headlights to mimic the slots just outside of the headlight.....a la '70.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

SOCOMech

Established Member
Also, track apps, while maybe not entirely useful on the track, does make for some good fun with the accelerometer, acceleration times, braking distance.....the different readings are cool too like a/f ratio, cyl. head temp and iat's.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

El Jeffe

Established Member
Thats for the info SoCoMech.....so nice to actually get a real answer instead of a snide comment. Appreciate it.

86Fbody

Established Member
My apologies for the snide remark. I wasn't aware you were asking about what the Boss didn't have/did have as opposed to complaining that it didn't have the little doodads.

El Jeffe

Established Member
No problem 86F....it takes alot to insult a super hero (Pony Man).
Just didnt see anything in the Owners manuel or in the Boss Supplement that told you what the Boss didnt have vs the normal Mustang or GT.
And didnt see that discussed any where to date. Your right, I wasn't complaining about it I was merely wondering what those diffs were since Ford has'nt seemed to outline that anywhere in their ownership materials....unless I missed it somewhere.
Maybe that would be a good question for a different thread?

86Fbody

Established Member
It would be nice to have it outlined in a single thread. I know there have been tid bits here and there. I have heard the Boss has less sound deadening and missing some of the features like like HIDs, for the '12s.

madereg

2013 Boss 302 - GHIG #319
The '13 Boss's stripes are reflective. I do not believe the '12's stripes are reflective. I had also read somewhere that the '13 Boss has slightly higher spring rates and stiffer suspension bushings. I could be wrong on those last two things though. I will have to see if I can find the article where those were mentioned.

I say you cannot go wrong with either the '12 or the '13 Boss. Both are awesome! The Sync system is nice in the '13 when you are cruising the streets and not racing. With a simple Thumb Drive plugged into the USB port it gives you voice access to your own music library...plus you can stream from Pandora or one of the other internet streaming radio apps.

WhiteKnite

Established Member
You can thank SCCA WC for that.

Politics and a restrictor were to blame for this seasons issues not the cars and teams. Typical WC BS. One season you're kicking butt the next your weight, engine and/ or restrictor is given a "competition adjustment" and you're 10th. See Mid-Ohio.

Yeah, I guess it's ok for Ford to beat the BMW M3s. But beating SCCA GM cars, nope. Can't have that! Someone high up at SCCA is a GM fan.

Justin Bell speaks out for Boss 302 racing teams protesting SCCA World Challenge parity rulings - YouTube

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread