2012 vs 2013 Boss 302

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I thought this would have been brought up already, but haven't found the thread yet...

Other than appearance, is there any functional changes to the 2013 Boss 302? Did the 2013 change anything like spring rates, tunes, ability to use track key, radios, whatever...

I'm considering a 2012 Boss non-LS but want to be sure the 2013 didn't add something that I might want ;)

I do like GHIG but if I go by this site it is the most popular color out there :coolman:

86Fbody

Established Member
'13s come with HIDs which is a big upgrade IMO from the '12s stock halogens. The '13s also have the track apps I believe and I have heard guys saying they can check there IATs and a few other things on the lcd that sits between the tach and speedo. Though that is all nice, I would get a '13 over a '12 simply because the '13s seem a little docile IMO.

86Fbody

Established Member
And the '13s have SYNC, which again, is one of those creature comfort things, shouldn't ever be able to/want to talk to someone while driving a Boss, unless they are in the car, and that should be to brace them for the ride to come.

NJSP117

Established Member
The 12 is nice...but the 13 has some nice upgrades. If you want green, go for the 13!!

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The mechanical running gear are identical. The two main comfort upgrades are SYNC and HID's. The track apps are nice but how much will you really use them? My guess is not much. An Aeroforce gauge mounted using a Roush AC vent mount is going to be more functional, at the track anyway.

Another thing to consider is the 2012 Boss 302S won the SCCA World Challenge GTS class for 2011 and the 302R took second place in the Grand AM GS class for 2011. The 2013's for 2012 didn't place that high. :beer:

SaleenTom

Established Member
With the addition of heat extractors on the hood, painted rockers { which imo make the car appear lower to the ground} More aggressive looking front end and new rearend with LCD tailights.......I felt it was a no brainer !

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Thanks everyone... I am leaning towards a '13 but there are quite a few '12s out there for sale..

I'm also growing fonder of the '12 black/red LS....

svtrookie

Established Member
Is there anyone out there who prefers the look of the 2012 over the 2013? Don't get me wrong, both look great, but for some reason I prefer the 12!

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Is there anyone out there who prefers the look of the 2012 over the 2013? Don't get me wrong, both look great, but for some reason I prefer the 12!
Me. Like many I like the 2012 front end and the 2013 rear end. You can't go wrong with either year though.

zzyzx

Established Member
The 2012 Boss suffers from over heating when tracked.

On the 2013 the redesigned front fascia with functional hood louvers addresses this. Additionally, the foglight block offs can be remove/replaced to help cooling.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The 2012 Boss suffers from over heating when tracked.

On the 2013 the redesigned front fascia with functional hood louvers addresses this. Additionally, the foglight block offs can be remove/replaced to help cooling.
I'm not so sure it's resolved with the 2013.

86Fbody

Established Member
From the looks of it the front fascia doesn't looks like it has all that much more air flow, and the faux fogs can be removed on the '12s also.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Same, I think all the '13 mustangs look the same which really sucks.

I'm kinda leaning this way as well... The black/red LS is impossible to confuse with a GT, and the orange Boss is hard to miss...

I'd be happy with any of them though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread