2012 Mustang 5.0 Closed loop issue (Decipha Your suport please)

Denver_SVT

Established Member
We have a 2012 Mustang 5.0 Automatic bolt ons with JLT Plastic Air intake, LT headers with x-pipe and cat-back, and 2018 Intake manifold.

We're in the process of tuning it, the car at cruise when we hold it in 3rd gear at 3000-4000 RPM will shift from OP loop to CL loop and once it goes to CL the Check Engine light will flash rapidly and cause the car have random misfire to cut fuel and after couple of seconds will go OP loop and check engine will go and everything goes fine.

I would like to know why it's doing this and how to tackle this issue and fix it? The code we received P0300. we checked spark plugs and coils and everything is ok. We changed the Purge valve and still the issue there. Do you think is tuning issue or mechanical issue? Please help

here you go the datalog for reference.

upload_2019-4-12_10-15-48.png

decipha

Established Member
its hard to understand what your saying cause what you say doesnt make sense

first you need to dial in the maf which is obvious in that log is severely off

u can go to my website and get the maf transfer for it

MAF Transfer Curves / EFIDynoTuning

for the longtubes u need to kick up the hego delay if u hadnt already

the copperheads run stock widebands so they jump in to closed loop once the widebands are warmed up and STAY in closed loip even at wot since the widebands correct fuel

Denver_SVT

Established Member
The MAF we dialed is very similar to the maf at your website (11-14 Coyote-2019 new style JLT CAI). I also, tried to copy the MAF values at your website and the issue still there.

As for the HEGO Delay, we couldn't find it. We see (Open Loop Delay Blending Ramp which we have it at 0.0500. There is (Temp for front HEGO to go Closed loop), (Temp for front HEGO to go Open loop), and (HEGO Tip in Temp Change)

For LTs headers, we change the following: (Eng Temp Limits>Exhaust Temp>Temp loss from value to O2 sensor) and (Time Constant for O2 sensor Temp) we multiply all values by 1.5 as starting point. Are we missing something?

Do you think Crank Relearn will solve the issue? because the code we received P0300. The issue driving us like crazy.

Here you go a datalog after I copy the MAF values from your website.
upload_2019-4-13_22-34-21.png

decipha

Established Member
thats good your wideband is actually reading now

try a crank relearn but most likely you have other issues

Denver_SVT

Established Member
thats good your wideband is actually reading now

try a crank relearn but most likely you have other issues
Thanks for your usual support Decipha :)

Here you go the update: So, as I thought the Crank Relearn test successfully completed and the issue has been fixed. Thanks GOD. No Flashing Check Engine anymore.

Now, for proper tuning the Coyotes MAF do you correct the MAF like old models by looking at:
1- STFT B1 and take the Peak value and Valley value (Peak + Valley )/2 to get the average then (1/Average) to get the correction factor at the Period reading which I don't think it will work properly with these models
or
2- by multiplying the LTFT Bank1 reading to correct the MAF
or
3- Measured AFR B1 / Lambse B1 to get the correction factor and multiply the lbm/min at the period point

Note: Those methods above, if we don't have A/F ratio wideband gauge or tuning it at dyno to make the tune much easier.

So, Which methods is mush easier and accurate for dialing the maf for Coyotes engines without Wideband gauge or dyno?

Thanks,

decipha

Established Member
none of the above

edited to include more correct info

lambda is actual afr from the "measured afr" in your log

lambse is target_afr

kamrf is ltft

and stft are adders to ltft

on a coyote, the math you do it

measured_afr - target_afr + stft + ltft

you need all 4 to calculate fuel error, make sure all 4 are in the same decimal lambda format

Last edited:

Denver_SVT

Established Member
none of the above

edited to include more correct info

lambda is actual afr from the "measured afr" in your log

lambse is target_afr

kamrf is ltft

and stft are adders to ltft

on a coyote, the math you do it

measured_afr - target_afr + stft + ltft

you need all 4 to calculate fuel error, make sure all 4 are in the same decimal lambda format
I am kind of confused right now. What you're saying above that means most of the time at idle and cruise i will multiply the maf by 2.xxx
For ex:
Measured_afr = 1.088
Target_afr= 1.000
STFT= 1.016
LTFT= 1.008

Going through the math:
1.088 - 1 + 1.016 + 1.008 = 2.112
Is it correct this way?
Because even if you have A/F wideband you will get the Actual AF ratio divided by Commanded AF to multiply it to the maf.

For examble at idle: Actual AF (13.8) / Commanded AF (14.7) = 0.938 then this calculation will be multiplied to the maf at the period point.

This way you will have big differences of dailing the maf and thats why i am confused right now. Please clerify it more.

Thanks

Sent from my HUAWEI matte 20 pro

decipha

Established Member
no you have to omit the 1. to have them in the same decimal format

in your example

stft is adding 0.016
ltft is adding 0.008
1.088 - 1 == 0.088
then
0.088 + 0.016 + 0.008 == 0.112 error

you need to then multiply the flow at that specific period by 1.112 to get the maf error to 0

Denver_SVT

Established Member
no you have to omit the 1. to have them in the same decimal format

in your example

stft is adding 0.016
ltft is adding 0.008
1.088 - 1 == 0.088
then
0.088 + 0.016 + 0.008 == 0.112 error

you need to then multiply the flow at that specific period by 1.112 to get the maf error to 0
I see this makes a lot if sense now. Thanks for the clarification Decipha.

One more question out of the subject, i just want to know for Auto tranny to make it shift very harsh with no delay during shifting from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 5-6, using SCT software. What are the tables that will really effect the auto shift manually from 1-2-3-D? Shift schedulae tables only or including other tables from trans parameters. If you have an example please share it.

Again i really appreciate your usual support. We learn a lot from you.

Thanks,

Sent from my HUAWEI matte 20 pro

Denver_SVT

Established Member
Here you go the new update after I used Decipha method of dialing the MAF curve.

The car felt much powerful and you can see the maf flow rate lb per min jumps to 51.55 which is 515 hp at the crank. As a comparison yesterday the max maf flow rate lb per min was 47. see below snapshot.

Now, I am working on the shift to make it firm during shifting which I am very close to reach my goal. By tuning the trany I went to (Trans Pressure>1-2 2-1 Shift to all shift and play with the initial slip time for 1-2 and Target overall slip time 1-2 and 2-1 shift by having the values 30% more) it make a lot of different during shift.

Is there any more things to do to make the shift very harsh with no delay at all?

upload_2019-4-16_23-8-3.png

decipha

Established Member
I cant help you there I personally do not like a harsh shift and do not try to make them shift harsh.

make sure you leave torque modulation on, that will make the shift feel firmer more direct and sportier without doing any harm and can actually pick up 1/4 mile et by

Users who are viewing this thread