2012 GT500 Twin Turbo

Smoothgrandmama

mmmm Torque
Established Member
The article in question I wrote before ford came out and said it will not be tting the 5.0. THEY DID SAW THEY CONSIDERED IT. Before deciding that there just wasnt enough room without another major redesign. Some other inside news that you guys might like is that the shelby naming contract runs out after 11 so whatever the 2012 is (unless they get a new contract) it wont be called a shelby.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The article in question I wrote before ford came out and said it will not be tting the 5.0. THEY DID SAW THEY CONSIDERED IT. Before deciding that there just wasnt enough room without another major redesign. Some other inside news that you guys might like is that the shelby naming contract runs out after 11 so whatever the 2012 is (unless they get a new contract) it wont be called a shelby.

Actually, the contracts with Shelby for the GT500 naming rights have spanned three year intervals. The first contract covered 2007-2009 MY. The current one covers 2010-2012 MY, so we're good for at least 2 more model years.

I remember when Ford dealers claimed the 2007 would be the only year for the GT500... a little white lie that helped them drain ignorant buyers for an additional $10-15k.:nonono: Don't let the 'rumors' of extinction scare you into buying earlier or paying more. As long as Shelby and Ford are both making money on the name, they'll continue to renew the contracts.

Even if they don't, the name isn't as important as the performance.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well no shit they considered it. they considered a turbo I4 for the mustang too, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen, at least not in the current gen.

whether or not ford's powertrain head had said that the mustang wouldn't get a TT5.0l is irrelevant, because it was already common knowledge that the mustang wasn't getting a TT5.0l at all. common knowledge from, you know, actually reliable sources, not some bullshit journalist speculation.

the shelby contract info is OLD NEWS too, do some snooping around here.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well shit, you got me on that one. yep, your absolutely right. if ford can stuff a V10 that is only 4" longer than the standard V8(and not larger in any other dimension) into a mustang, then they should totally be able to fit a V8, with 2 turbochargers, hot side plumbing, cold side plumbing, intercooler, and air boxes that can make it past NVH. yea, no way is that twin turbo V8 a tougher packaging problem than a V10 that is all of 4" longer:rollseyes

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
I can believe that a TT will grace the Cobra, but not until the next generation.

The reason? Superchargers are becoming somewhat antiquated, at least in factory applications. That and the fact that Ford is pushing the Ecoboost tech and it becomes quite clear that this is the way to go. Toss in the fact that a 5.0 is somewhat challenged as far as displacement goes, all signs point to a TT in the Cobra's future. No parasitic losses either, so every pound of boost will yield the maximuim power available.

This is considering that they actually use the 5.0 for the Halo car
Who knows, they may have 4V heads available for the 6.2

Evolution is a good thing :beer:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
It appears to me a s/c 5.0 coyote based engine is already a done deal. Shelby already has a gt 350 w a whipple s/c w the new 5.0 engine.

The headers already fit and face it a t/t has all that tubing with leakage/package issues as the setup ages w mileage. That just makes sense to do it like that. Cheap 550 hp rated engine and lighter than the 5.4, even w a 5.4 alum block and a small improvement in mpg rating w the variable cam timing.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
The reason? Superchargers are becoming somewhat antiquated, at least in factory applications.
hardly! with companies that never really played around with superchargers much in the past, if at all, such as GM, audi, and VW using the eaton TVS in factory applications, the supercharger still has a LONG life span in the OE world. from a cost and packaging stand point, complete turbo systems aren't really comparable to superchargers in the least in a factory application.
obviously a company such as BMW will use turbos over superchargers because they are so much more efficient in power production(the company does have one of the most efficient engines made afterall, the 4.0l V8), and obviously ford will use turbos in downsized engines for fuel efficiency reasons, but neither point matters to a car like the GT500. ford isn't concerned with producing the 'ultimate driving machine' when doing so would eat into their profits, and fuel efficiency is certainly the last piece of the equation(hell, the 2011 GT500 doesn't even have gas guzzler tax IIRC).

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
hardly! with companies that never really played around with superchargers much in the past, if at all, such as GM, audi, and VW using the eaton TVS in factory applications, the supercharger still has a LONG life span in the OE world. from a cost and packaging stand point, complete turbo systems aren't really comparable to superchargers in the least in a factory application.
obviously a company such as BMW will use turbos over superchargers because they are so much more efficient in power production(the company does have one of the most efficient engines made afterall, the 4.0l V8), and obviously ford will use turbos in downsized engines for fuel efficiency reasons, but neither point matters to a car like the GT500. ford isn't concerned with producing the 'ultimate driving machine' when doing so would eat into their profits, and fuel efficiency is certainly the last piece of the equation(hell, the 2011 GT500 doesn't even have gas guzzler tax IIRC).

I stand by my statement ;-)

So are you saying that the next generation Cobra will go from a Supercharged 5.4 to a Supercharged 5.0? No way bro. The only way the next Cobra will have a blower on it is if it gets the 6.2- I would be willing to make a friendly wager on that lol.

Remember, we are talking 4 MY's from now. The TVS will be old tech by then. MHO

Smoothgrandmama

mmmm Torque
Established Member
well no shit they considered it. they considered a turbo I4 for the mustang too, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen, at least not in the current gen.

whether or not ford's powertrain head had said that the mustang wouldn't get a TT5.0l is irrelevant, because it was already common knowledge that the mustang wasn't getting a TT5.0l at all. common knowledge from, you know, actually reliable sources, not some bullshit journalist speculation.

the shelby contract info is OLD NEWS too, do some snooping around here.

I snoop. And 4 made it very clear in the article that it was speculation. How ever I do think belt driven acc are going to start becoming a thing of the past. With power steering going electric its only a matter of time before the water pump is electric and were chasing our cars using hybrid technology. I dont see the superchargers sticking around in stock apps for more than another 6 years.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Exactly the reason the 2014 Cobra will NOT be going this route.

Maybe not for the gt500... But I and many others would like a intermediate level of pwr and price. I might consider then getting rid of my 03. I think ford could do it easily enough say 525 hp and 40k$ tops for a coupe w a 5.0 and s/c.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I stand by my statement ;-)

So are you saying that the next generation Cobra will go from a Supercharged 5.4 to a Supercharged 5.0? No way bro. The only way the next Cobra will have a blower on it is if it gets the 6.2- I would be willing to make a friendly wager on that lol.

Remember, we are talking 4 MY's from now. The TVS will be old tech by then. MHO
i am absolutely saying that the next gen top of the line mustang will feature a supercharged 5.0l. if they put the 6.2l in it then whoever gave it the OK should be bitch slapped. please, for the love of god, keep the weight out of the nose.

you know what's old tech right now? the gen V, IV, III, II, and I gen eaton superchargers. yes, the TVS will be old tech, and it will be replaced by a better eaton roots, just like all previous gens have been.
hell, who knows, maybe eaton or someone will figure out a low cost, high output manufacturing technique that makes twin screws mass production feasible.
a company like VW/audi doesn't make short sighted decisions, they aren't exactly idiots.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
The Saleen S5S raptor has a Supercharged 32V 5.0 pushing 550hp. The new GT350 has a Superchrged 32V 5.0 already stated thats supposed to be 510-550hp. The jaguar XFR has a supercharged 32V 5.0 making 510hp. i know ford used to own jaguar but didn't they recently sell it? so i'm thinking maybe before they sold it they threw in the S/C 5.0 :shrug:

i bet they are just gonna have a S/C 5.0 with a whipple and a few more bolt on goodies. probably be in the 550-600hp area

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
though those other applications don't support the fact that ford may be using a supercharged 5.0l, you posted up jaguar who is another marque that will, without a doubt, be using production application superchargers long into the foreseeable future. sorry guys, even if ford doesn't use a supercharger on the next numero uno mustang, there will still be other OEs using them in production apps, guaranteed.

bscarberry

Established Member
Those TT 5.0's for sure exist and are making in excess of 800 hp but like RyTrapp says... they can't make them fit

Users who are viewing this thread