2012 GT500 Twin Turbo

venom04svt

Established Member
Do I Hear a Turbo Coming?

You heard me right! Although there is no official word yet, it is rumored that the 2012 GT500 may in fact be carrying a twin-turbo variant of the new “Coyote 5.0″.

Why would Ford scrap the 5.4 platform? Well the answer lies in production. As Ford renews the F-series with the 6.2 V8 the 5.4 will be phased out. So this brings us to the GT500. Ford is faced with the choice of a heavy 6.2 variant from the “Raptor” or a hopped up 5.0, I myself would prefer the twin-turbo variant.

In addition to being twin-turboed it’s also a big possibillty that the new GT500 engine will have an aluminium block to save weight. While most of this is speculation, there are alot rumors and “comfirmed” facts. But in any case, be it a twin-turboed 5.0 or a supercharged 6.2 the future for the most powerful production mustang is very very bright.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
it's FACT that a twin turbo 5.0l will never be found in a mustang. ford's powertrain dude said that there isn't enough space in the mustang for an assembly line ready twin turbo 5.0l.

that's not even mentioning that these were the same rumors spread about the 2011. now could we please stop spreading this crap already?!

as for the 5.4l, there is NO REASON for ford to phase it out. the major components(block, heads, whatever) are all machined on the exact same line as the 4.6l and the 5.0l(hence the name "modular motors", because the machining/assembly lines can build all motors of the family without retooling), so it doesn't cost ford any time or money to machine a 5.4l block. not to mention the existence of the FRPP 5.4l block.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
it's FACT that a twin turbo 5.0l will never be found in a mustang. ford's powertrain dude said that there isn't enough space in the mustang for an assembly line ready twin turbo 5.0l.

that's not even mentioning that these were the same rumors spread about the 2011. now could we please stop spreading this crap already?!

The Ford Powertrain Dude also said the 6.2 is a truck only motor meant to replace the 5.4 V-8 and 6.8 V-10. The motor is to big to fit in the Mustang chassis. Seriously the 2011 haven't hit dealers yet and this shit is already starting.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Do I Hear a Turbo Coming?

You heard me right! Although there is no official word yet, it is rumored that the 2012 GT500 may in fact be carrying a twin-turbo variant of the new “Coyote 5.0″.

Why would Ford scrap the 5.4 platform? Well the answer lies in production. As Ford renews the F-series with the 6.2 V8 the 5.4 will be phased out. So this brings us to the GT500. Ford is faced with the choice of a heavy 6.2 variant from the “Raptor” or a hopped up 5.0, I myself would prefer the twin-turbo variant.

In addition to being twin-turboed it’s also a big possibillty that the new GT500 engine will have an aluminium block to save weight. While most of this is speculation, there are alot rumors and “comfirmed” facts. But in any case, be it a twin-turboed 5.0 or a supercharged 6.2 the future for the most powerful production mustang is very very bright.

Quit acting like a troll :burn:

Zan186

Established Member
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Mustang really is not going to make any major power gains. The GT500 is about it. Even that has a really really dumbed down suspension. Simply put, Ford doesn't trust its typical consumer not to kill themselves driving it.
Granted, you get a nice car for the price you pay. Yet if they wanted to make the Shelby's race cars they could. I upgraded my suspension to a Griggs and it is a world of difference.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I would say it is possible. Ford is all about the ecoboost as their power maker. And if you read last months 20+pg article on the 5.0, it states that the engine is being built so that direct injectors can be mounted on it. That tells me, ford has plans for forced induction with it in the future.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I would say it is possible. Ford is all about the ecoboost as their power maker. And if you read last months 20+pg article on the 5.0, it states that the engine is being built so that direct injectors can be mounted on it. That tells me, ford has plans for forced induction with it in the future.
as i've said countless times, it's been confirmed by fords powertrain head, the TT5.0 is NOT going to happen because of chassis constraints.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
It would not be a surprise at all to see a Supercharged 5.0 in the 2012 or later GT500, but Turbo is out of the question.

To all the people talking about why get rid of the 5.4, I personally think the 5.0 has enough advancements in technology to make up for the smaller displacement.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
whether or not it can make up for the displacement difference(i don't have much doubt it could with those heads, and the twin variable cam timing is just the icing!), i definitely think it should be in the next top level mustang simply for the weight savings.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
ford wants to ecoboost everything...and I dont care what chassis constraints someone says....ford can do anything they want if its smart for their business...ecoboost is that

you might have to see a 4" longer body, or something different....if they can put a V10 mod motor in a sn95...then they can TT a 5.0L

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
yea, they can put a 6.8l triton V10 in an SN95... ...after they whip out the torches. IT WILL NOT FIT IN AN ASSEMBLY LINE APPLICATION.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Even if the Shelby goes to a 5.0, it won't be in 2012. SVT has just invested substantial money in a spray-bore aluminum block 5.4. It won't be a one year wonder.

The 5.0 may eventually find its way into the Shelby for chassis balance and fuel economy reasons, but a supercharged version would be much less expensive to manufacture and in line with the SVT heritage. Not to mention the fact that the car would still sound like a real Mustang rather than a rice-burning hair drier.

Users who are viewing this thread