2012 GT500 suspension on 2014 Track pack

768MPH

Established Member
I ordered a new "take off" 2012 GT500 struts/shocks/springs/mounts for a great price.

I have BMR springs now. Want to switch them over.

Do the GT500 struts/shocks ride like the track pack?

hand-filer

Established Member
The GT500 is about 200 pounds heavier on the front end. Not sure how adversely this will effect handling. I suspect that it will have some effect as the dampers will be matched to the GT500 front/rear weight distribution.

768MPH

Established Member
I'm sure the BMRs drop more in front to counter act that.
I don't think it'll affect it that drastically.
It's just a DD, not a track car.

768MPH

Established Member
Yes, I understand what you meant.

You think it should be that much of a difference?
On a DD, I doubt you'd be able to tell.

Are you saying I should do a whipple to counter the difference? ;)

Last edited:

todcp

Established Member
My brother just picked up a 2014 GT500 base car. First thing he did was swap out the stock shocks for Koni Yellow. He said the change was dramatic. With the stock shock he felt the car was harsh and the steering was all over the place on rough road surfaces. All is cured now with the Koni's and the stock springs.
And yes the front of the GT500 is much heavier and used different spring rates than a GT. In fact Sam Strano told my Brother he needed the Koni Yellow to be able to handle the GT500 spring rates and not the Koni SR.T he had been considering.

hand-filer

Established Member
I would say go with a Roush TVS to balance it all out but I'm a little biased.;-)

Last edited:

768MPH

Established Member
I love how it rides now, just hate that popping sound from the strut mounts.
Was trying to combine the best of both worlds with GT500 mounts and suspension.
I found a deal on a entire suspension set up with GT500 mounts. Thought this may be compatible.

I'll put in on and report back.

Last edited:

lsxjunkie

Established Member
I put 2012 SVTPP suspension on my car as my first round of suspension mods. It was better than the stock track pack by leaps and bounds. The front-rear wallow and nose dive were gone. However, I wasn't happy with the front spring rate or rebound dampening. It may have been the front springs were just too stiff for the blower. It may have been the front shocks were too soft on rebound, also compensating for the blower. I never got a chance to try them with GT springs, but they probably would have mitigated the sensation. However, it really did feel like the front end was a little too light for the suspension.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread