2012 GT base stereo sucks... What have you done to improve?

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
Take the wife with me most of the time so don't get to hear stereo :( just kidding. I will say that I like to hear the car most of the time so I personally don't want to spend a lot of money on an upgrade. I was very disappointed with the shaker 500 in my 2013. I have a 2007 expedition with stock audio that sounds much better.

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
Upgraded to Infinity Kappa's in the door and deck. Audioque 1200d amp and a ported custom box in the trunk with an Image Dynamics IDq v3 12".

Pretty happy with how it sounds. Just been trying to add sound deadener throughout to cut out the rattles, along with trying to figure out how to keep the taillights from rattling.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Take the wife with me most of the time so don't get to hear stereo :( just kidding. I will say that I like to hear the car most of the time so I personally don't want to spend a lot of money on an upgrade. I was very disappointed with the shaker 500 in my 2013. I have a 2007 expedition with stock audio that sounds much better.

i agree. my 2003 Gt's mach460 sounded way better and had a indash 6 disc indash cd player. its sticker was $26k and my gt's was $36k lol. unreal the quality went down.

CharlieR

Established Member
I swapped out everything. But I got a base knowing I wanted to(was gonna keep headunit but it sucked too). Used: Metra dash kit(O.K. no issues color slightly "off"),pioneer head unit(happy with it), JL Audio amps(1-1x1000,1-4x90, love 'em both), JL Stealth box w/13w6 sub(Love, love, love), Infinity mids and highs(not sold on these as they sound "o.k." but color the highs a bit and show no imaging(my be due to placement but plan to replace anyway as they're not good enough to "reconfigure placement"), a little left over dynamat, knukonceptz wiring and connections, and a box of alpha damp to do trunk, re-do doors(when I try new speakers gonna bridge amp and run same rears off headunit)

pohnjarker

Established Member
JL comps up front, focal speakers out back. stock radio with line out converter to amp/sub
looking to get a new sub after the old one blew a coil, powered by a Kicker 1500.1 Amp.

alex12gt

Established Member
well here is mine.....like the install kit but i have had the climate controls take a dump twice but they replaced it both times no questions but now on start up the new one says alpine media solutions so may have done a pretty goo update

8.jpg

box is only 6in deep i think i custom made it and amp is mounted upside down on the deck lid

527632_454097017935997_1821926623_n.jpg

ultrajetboat

Established Member
Didn't want to spend too much money on this cars audio so I did infinity front speakers and an infinity basslink sub in the trunk. I think I spent like 250 bucks and although its not great, it's a big improvement from stock.

5.0jake

Established Member
Old thread I know but have an audio question.

I have the base model radio and this is what I'm planning as far as upgrading it:

Change stock door speakers to Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 and power them with a 4 channel amp. 2 to the front and 2 to the rear factory speakers.
8 inch JL audio W3 sub powered by a Kenwood 1 channel amp.

Will this work connecting to the factory head unit? Any recommendations before I proceed?

Also will it sound better powering the Pioneers with the factory head unit? Just to hold me over as I'm not going to be installing the amps for a couple of months.

greenscobie86

Established Member
I threw some really low end Pioneers in the rear shelf of my 2013 car. Definitely not a night and day improvement but it makes the system sound clearer for sure. In my opinion they could definitely use a good amp to power them.

Not sure on your question about powering speakers with an aftermarket amp via the stock head unit though... Hopefully some audio guru will chime in.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I replaced the four speakers with Kicker 3-ways. They hit pretty hard. I didn't want a sub since I race a lot, and these do well even with the stock head unit.

Jtaugner

Established Member
Base stereo is absolute trash.

Replaced my fronts with Pioneer. Added Kenwood Underseat Sub/Amp and Pioneer AppRadio 3. Complete night and day difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread