2012 Coyote Paxton Install (Pic Heavy)

brianjh20

Established Member
Day 1 of my Paxton install. I knew since I have the track pack that I would be fighting the boss oil cooler, but I think I figured out a good way to relocate it. I DID discover today that because the track pack radiator is bigger, there is no way I'm getting that fan back in there after installing the Paxton head unit. It's all going to be a very tight fit.

Can you post any pics of this? I plan on doing the install on a Boss very soon. How did you relocate the oil cooler? Did everything fit with the larger radiator? Thanks

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
So I have an auto and during the install I spilled a little transmission fluid cutting those lines into the radiator. Did anyone else do this? Did you end up topping off your transmission or not? Any issues? I am considering taking it to a shop to get a top-off... Track Friday.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
So I have an auto and during the install I spilled a little transmission fluid cutting those lines into the radiator. Did anyone else do this? Did you end up topping off your transmission or not? Any issues? I am considering taking it to a shop to get a top-off... Track Friday.

I spilled a small amount doing mine. I took it in for an oil change and had them top it off while it was on the lift.

Its been in the 10s and has maybe 10 passes at the track and 50 on the street with no issues at all.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the info. Will get it topped off as well. How much did they end up adding? Can't wait til friday...

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I had lost .8 qts of Transmission fluid, filled it back up and shifting fine again.

ti1andrezz

Hey guys, I figured I've lurked here long enough and finally have some free time to do this writeup on my experience with the Paxton 2200 SL install.

First off, I'd like to thank Beefcake for the great price and Shaun at AED for the great service and amazing tune.

I'd also like to note that any opinions I express in here are just that - my opionions. No nit-picks i have with the install are to reflect upon Beefcake, they are just my personal reflections and preferences on the install of the kit. With that out of the way, on to the pics!

Here are a couple of the car completely bone stock last summer shortly after purchasing it:

View attachment 432975

View attachment 432976

View attachment 432977

The car was a blast to drive, I loved it, but I wanted something more...and talking with a few friends of mine, I had my sights set on the Paxton kit, and with everyone else going with Whipple / TVS setups, I figured that I'd be the experiement for a higher end centri unit!

All pieces ordered, Paxton 2200 SL tuner kit (Beefcake special, base 3.8 pulley), JLT open element filter, Lethal Performance o/r H-Pipe, Ford Racing 47 lb/hr injectors and an SCT tuner.

This is how everything showed up at my house:

View attachment 432978

View attachment 432979

View attachment 432980

View attachment 432981

View attachment 432982

View attachment 432983

And unboxed:

View attachment 432984

View attachment 432985

The excitement was unbearable, knowing that there were 200 horses sitting in boxes on the floor. Unfortunately, I had to wait for time off from work during the holidays to get to work on the install, as well as waiting for my friend from Denver to make it here to help me out. Once he was able to make it over, we got to work immediately, knowing we only had a couple of days to get as much of the extra hands work done as possible.

On to the stock motor pics, just before cutting into the car:

View attachment 432986

The first order of business was disassembly:

View attachment 432987

View attachment 432988

Nothing too terribly hard about that, but then again, taking stuff off is easier than installing it lol.

With initial disassembly done, it was time to start putting it back together.

Removing the stock H-pipe was relatively easy, but it was made alot easier by having an extra pair of hands. With it out, it was time for the Lethal catless H to replace it:

View attachment 432989

View attachment 432990

Not a bad install, but be sure if you have an aftermarket H or X pipe to put on with the kit, that you do this first, as it will be an absolute bastard to get at the flange bolts on the passenger side with the overflow tank for the kit installed.

Next was the upper radiator hose modification. You pretty much butcher this thing, pretty easy, but there are some things to take note of, but more on that later.

View attachment 432991

View attachment 432992

View attachment 432993

There are alot of small coolant line modifications you have to do, but nothing worth taking pictures of that weren't the upper hose.

Next was a small, albeit important step, bending the larger AC line over. Luckily, I had a good amount of shims laying about and was able to get just the right amount of bracing on the bottom of this line. I didn't break mine, and after it was bent, looking back on it, it really is very simple, but be cautious is key here, only bent small amounts at a time, test fitting the overflow tank and bending the line over just far enough to allow the tank to seat correctly.

View attachment 432994

View attachment 432995

While I set to work cutting the fan shroud, my friend started working on getting the blower bracket installed (we still aren't quite sure of the best way to get this installed completely hassle free, but having an extra set of hands is invaluable here). Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the modified fan shroud, I don't know which one of the three cameras I used during this install they got onto lol.

This is just after getting the blower mounted:

View attachment 432996

Next up was the intercooler, again, nothing hard but the piping takes some finesse to get to fit correctly. It's not hard, but being careful here will help prevent boost leaks or couplers blowing off. I didn't, and still don't have any issues with boost leaks, everything fits like a glove:

View attachment 432997

With the intercooler installed, it was time to get the rest of the IC / intake piping together:

View attachment 432998

View attachment 432999

View attachment 433000

Now for more fun cutting. The front bumper wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, just measure twice, cut once, and cut small amounts at a time. I was actually able to get a very straight line by hand with no guides using a dremel tool, very impressed with how well it fits once trimmed.

View attachment 433001

And then for the splash guard under the front of the car:

View attachment 433002

View attachment 433003

The actual install only takes about 8 - 10 hours, but I had some complications I'll address next here to give a heads up to anyone doing the install, but first, the finished product!

View attachment 433004

View attachment 433005
How would you recommend getting the fan back in I'm struggling with that.

Users who are viewing this thread