20210123_161448.jpg

slowmkviii

Established Member
And I know they are actually called
direct-acting bucket tappets but not many people do so I called them followers

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Hmmm, time to bust out the feeler gauges and check the clearance on the bucket. My dirt bike has buckets with shims under them, kind of a pain to adjust as you have to pull the cams out to replace shims.

The build up on the cam is very odd. Even it it wasnt contacting the bucket it remains coated in oil at all times. The only way I can see that happening is if you have a valve sealing issue and its allowing exhaust to come back through valves.

Any chance you have a video of the noise?

slowmkviii

Established Member
Hmmm, time to bust out the feeler gauges and check the clearance on the bucket. My dirt bike has buckets with shims under them, kind of a pain to adjust as you have to pull the cams out to replace shims.

The build up on the cam is very odd. Even it it wasnt contacting the bucket it remains coated in oil at all times. The only way I can see that happening is if you have a valve sealing issue and its allowing exhaust to come back through valves.

Any chance you have a video of the noise?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
That sounds terrible! Have you done a compression check on the engine yet? Did you hook up the coils and run it with the valve cover off, you would definitely be able to determine where the noise is coming from. Whatever it is, its not going to be an easy repair...... best of luck.

slowmkviii

Established Member
No compression test yet and decided to put it back together run an engine cleaner through it and hope. If its still bad I may run it till it goes completely then do a junk yard motor.

Users who are viewing this thread