2011 GT Tune options

valkyrie4401

Looking for some advice on tuning for my GT. So far, it only has some bolt ons, installed by the previous owner, including BBK long tube headers, BBK X pipe, cat delete, with factory resonators and mufflers. Intake wise, just the basic Roush CAI. I don't believe it's had any custom tunes and of course, it has the expected CEL to go along with that. It's had the typical p0420/430 codes, since I bought it. Recently it began showing p02096, p02098 and a p219a code as well. So, I'm guessing it's never been tuned, or was reverted back to stock? I've been looking into different tunes and am wondering which path would be the best to take. Can email tunes from Steeda, Lund, AEM, or similar places solve the trouble codes, or will I have to take it to a custom shop? Also, I plan on ditching the Roush for a PMAS or JLT CAI, and switching the stock axle backs to the GT500's. This is my first Mustang, so I'm just looking for some advice on where I should start.

Sent from my SM-S906L using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jk57

Established Member
Did you just buy the car? i would check the past owner to see if he did have a tune almost sounds like it did . Not sure what those codes are but i would have it checked out asap

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I love my AED tune. Other good tuners like Lund and VMP are options too. I wouldn’t run a car with a tune from an unknown vendor. Did the car come with a SCT tuner?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Any of the good tuners can fix you up with a email tune. You will need a sct or something similar to install the tune. You will also need to be able to datalog sp a laptop would be great. I wouldn't drive until it has been given a base tune from whom ever you choose to tune it. The tune on these cars is very important!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

clinton2003

Established Member
make sure your hoses are all on tight. could be a faulty o2, could be a lose hose, letting air in. could be maf is dirty, could be a lot of things. i'd do a tune up. So plugs, filter, clean maf (MAF cleaner only, dont use brake clean or similar, will ruin it) then check to make sure you have all o2's. Should be 4 total, 2 before cat (do you have cats?) which are right at the end of the stock headers. Then 2 after cat, just before the crossover in h/x pipe. Make sure they are there, and not missing. Make sure they are not lose (7/8 or 22mm wrench)

valkyrie4401

Unfortunately, not driving it simply isn't an option. This is my DD and only car. There is a performance shop near my house, and from what I've seen, they have a great reputation. Would it likely be a better idea just to have them tune it? They quoted 450-500 for a street tune, 650+ for a dyno tune.

valkyrie4401

This was my diagnostic scan tonight.
Screenshot_2018-08-08-03-09-54.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-08-08-03-09-58.jpeg

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Unfortunately, not driving it simply isn't an option. This is my DD and only car. There is a performance shop near my house, and from what I've seen, they have a great reputation. Would it likely be a better idea just to have them tune it? They quoted 450-500 for a street tune, 650+ for a dyno tune.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Well if you have to drive it just take it easy until you get the tune situated.

valkyrie4401

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Well if you have to drive it just take it easy until you get the tune situated.

I keep the RPM's under 2k as much as I can. It hasn't had any issues, loss of power, surging or anything, but I'm not wanting to risk it any more than I have too. I'm going to stop by the shop, and see when they can tune it. Meanwhile, I'm going to go over it, as suggested and check all the sensors, MAF, look for any leaks, ect. This is my first Mustang (honestly, my first muscle/sports car as well) and I'm doing my best to learn as much as possible.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Email tunes are fine to. Lund Racing, AED, Palm Beach Dyno, VMP are a few that know these cars inside and out. They will have you datalog the car and will create a tune just for your car.

helloWorld

Established Member
I would personally be able to suggest AED tuning. I used him when I had my 2013 Mustang GT.

Lund is also another very popular, and good, choice for tuning.

willief23

Established Member
The p0420 and p0430 cats below threshold are codes from x pipe. You will need a tune to have to rear o2 sensors turned off to get rid of those codes. I had those codes from my high flow catted x pipe I fixed it by getting o2 foulers which are just basically o2 sensor spacers, you put the o2 sensor inside a piece of stainless steel piping then that goes into the o2 bung. You do this so that the o2 sensor isnt inside the exhaust pipe as much so it reads less flow kinda like how the stock cats would flow. The other codes are from the long tube headers with no tune as well.

Users who are viewing this thread