2011 Audi Q5 3.2 question

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Found a 2011 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium Plus local to me that has 77K miles on it. Other than the, "never own an Audi without a warranty," what common problems can I expect with the car? All I can find are timing chains, but that seems to affect the earlier years and oil consumption affects the 2.0. This would be for the wife to replace her '10 Milan and something we'd keep for the next 5 years before moving on.

Link to car: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&mmt=[AUDI[Q5[]][]]&listingId=438566094&Log=0

Edit: Changed link because selecting didn't direct to page. Highlighting it worked fine...?

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Replacing a solid Milan with a "only one year" newer Audi is a recipe for disappointment. I don't know of anyone in my circle that has owned an Audi with more than 45K miles on it that doesn't seem to always have it in the shop for one thing or another.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Pass,

Dang thang aint moving and showing 3 mph.............

I actually pulled it forward so we could lift the rear liftgate and I didn't even pay attention to that.

Ever hear of something that looks fast standing still?

Ha!

Replacing a solid Milan with a "only one year" newer Audi is a recipe for disappointment. I don't know of anyone in my circle that has owned an Audi with more than 45K miles on it that doesn't seem to always have it in the shop for one thing or another.

Honestly, we don't need an SUV or another car right at the moment. We have a 7 month old daughter and my wife has kept saying lately that she wishes we had an SUV to haul stuff that IMO we never haul... Milan has 95K miles on it and has been a solid ride and I can actually put larger things in the trunk compared to my MKS (jogging stroller for example). I can admit that the Audi is more eye candy than anything and there are smarter choices out there. That particular dealership up until recently used to offer free lifetime powertrain warranty's and I was hoping to take advantage of that, but it's no longer available.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Pass. Go for a newer one with the 2.0 (Or more preferably the 3.0) that has less miles if you can. They're nice cars, we love our S.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Pass. Go for a newer one with the 2.0 (Or more preferably the 3.0) that has less miles if you can. They're nice cars, we love our S.

I would love to get the wife an SQ5, but that's not a budget she'd allow. Talking with dealer on what they can do for warranty and if nothing, we'll keep looking. I don't mind the mileage as I bought my '02 Explorer with 67k and sold it with 212k. I just want to know how reliable is the motor and transmission in the Audi.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
That's a sweet ride, but the downside of worrying about a big mechanical would scare me away. I bet a rebuilt transmission would be over 10k all in. Or my other favorite type of euro repair - over 1k bill for some little speed sensor or something. Last thought - would you really want some corner used car dealer working on an Audi? Not me, unless they are a lot that only deals in Euro.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to get the wife an SQ5, but that's not a budget she'd allow. Talking with dealer on what they can do for warranty and if nothing, we'll keep looking. I don't mind the mileage as I bought my '02 Explorer with 67k and sold it with 212k. I just want to know how reliable is the motor and transmission in the Audi.

Reliability is good, I believe they had the same cam follower/injection pump issue as the 2.0's that should be fixed by now. If not it needs to be done ASAP. They also have carbon buildup issues on the intake valves like all DI engines do. It won't feel as smooth as the newer turbo and supercharged power plants do. You also miss out on the ZF 8 speed transmission, which is absolutely amazing.

_Snake_

Established Member

This. I bought a 2011 S4 with 52k miles on it. My Boss hasn't spent this much time sitting since....ever.

Users who are viewing this thread