2011 5.0 stage 3 compcams

Smith3535

Established Member
Im thinking about getting stage 3 cams from comp, i wanted to see if anyone has them in yet? what power gains, problems or anything like that. please let me know !

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Just have Shaun with AED write you a tune... he does all his tuning via CAM timing, he's been custom making cams for years.

alex12gt

Established Member
spoke with brenspeed sat and they did some testing for comp and gained about 30hp na and said the cost is not worth it at all figuring 1600 for cams and limiters and the install is very intensive

Shaunk

Established Member
Installation is not that bad at all. We have done a few sets. The stage 2 cams were worth about 25 rwhp with nothing else changed.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I personally wouldn't do cams unless you're doing a built motor. That's when I'm gonna upgrade my cams. I'm stuck between doing CompCams N/A Stage 3's or doing a custom N/A grind. Decisions, decisions....

B Square

Established Member
I have the Stage 2 with Roush 625hp TVS. Idle and low rpm have given me a lot of problems. Top tuners and builders have been involved with little success. I will probably go back to stock.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
I have the Stage 2 with Roush 625hp TVS. Idle and low rpm have given me a lot of problems. Top tuners and builders have been involved with little success. I will probably go back to stock.

Guys have been adding "non boost specific" CAMs to boosted setups for years and always wonder why it doesn't run right.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Installation is not that bad at all. We have done a few sets. The stage 2 cams were worth about 25 rwhp with nothing else changed.
??? What does this mean, ive heard its a arm and a leg to have someone install them. Am i incorrect in thinking its a large investment??

Highway Star

Established Member
I have Comp Stage two Cams in a naturally aspirated build. I have an intake, the bottom end is forged and heads are ported. See it here. 2011 Mustang GT Load Bearing Dyno Run 520 RWHP 7700RPM - YouTube The bottom line is that the car runs pretty good. It's a screamer to 7700 rpm. I would not go stage three though. You will have idle problems I promise you. Slow driving in a parking lot will be no fun at all. I have a little bit of that. Stage three would give you more. Just get stage two and a Boss intake and you will do just fine.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I currently use Comp Cams Stage 2, the stage 3 cams see MAJOR loses in torque below 4200rpm vs. the stock cams. It's important to get with your garage and look at the final build to determine if you need a stage 3.

You can't go wrong with stage 2 N/A cams. Horsepower scales nicely with mods and there is no real weak spot in the curve. It changed the entire demeanor of the car.

I will eventually need to ditch the brand new NA cams for the FI cams down the road. FI cams require machining of the head casting. In order to utilize the full potential of the cams, you need long tubes, full exhaust, CAI and intake. I am using a conservative tune until I can get more air in the engine. The Cobra Jet intake, dual 65 and a CAI will let me run tune #2. I would also like to bump the injectors up to 34s but If I am going twin turbo, might have to recalculate. I should be close to 475-495rwhp.

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Has anyone done a dyno comparison between these and the Cobra Jet 5.0 cams being sold by FRPP? These consist of the stock Boss exhaust cams and a larger intake cam that was originally supposed to go on the Boss, but got scrapped for the stock GT intake cam.

twistedneck

Established Member
Has anyone done a dyno comparison between these and the Cobra Jet 5.0 cams being sold by FRPP? These consist of the stock Boss exhaust cams and a larger intake cam that was originally supposed to go on the Boss, but got scrapped for the stock GT intake cam.

I'll post my dyno numbers soon.. its going back together this week should be on the dyno next week (hopefully by 2/22/13).

BINT cam is the same as boss and coyote but 13mm vs. 12mm.
BEXH cam is same as boss 13mm but added 27deg. of duration and centerline moved accordingly.

They still use the full tv-vct sweep.. but they are not nearly as big duration wise as the comps, but the comp cams have only 11.5mm intake and 12.5mm exhaust lift. No idea the exact amount since FRPP does not measure duratoin at 50 lift like everyone else.

Last edited:

hasty

Established Member
It might be cool if your motor isn't in the car yet to have your shop take a degree wheel and see what the duration at .050 is on your cam's. It would only take a few minutes. I guess it doesn't matter, but it would be interesting to know.

I still think it's surprising that if the Cobra exhaust cams have more advertised duration than the comp stage 3, and have more lift, that it would shorter in duration at .050, but I am not an expert. I understand the ramp may be more aggressive on the Comp stuff.

You can take this with a grain of salt, but I believe a N/A cobra jet runs around 10.0 with an automatic transmission, and probably weighs 3000-3100 pounds with a driver and fuel. That would indicate to me that they make 550-560 RWHP. They are 12.5:1 compression though, so it's not an apples to apples comparison to cams in a 11:1 motor. The cobra jet is probably getting 5% more power from the increase in compression vs. a boss/gt stock shortblock.

Last edited:

Rickety

Established Member
Whos gonna tune it???

I'll post my dyno numbers soon.. its going back together this week should be on the dyno next week (hopefully by 2/22/13).

BINT cam is the same as boss and coyote but 13mm vs. 12mm.
BEXH cam is same as boss 13mm but added 27deg. of duration and centerline moved accordingly.

They still use the full tv-vct sweep.. but they are not nearly as big duration wise as the comps, but the comp cams have only 11.5mm intake and 12.5mm exhaust lift. No idea the exact amount since FRPP does not measure duratoin at 50 lift like everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread