2011-2012 GT500 CAMS. L&M or MMR?

04Marine08

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some input on cam choices for the 11-12 shelbs and what you guys think would be better off. I'm looking for an aggressive lopey idle that doesn't destroy daily drivability.

I came across a few custom cams from L&M and MMR. I was wondering if either company made drop-in cams that don't requiring any spring swaps that still have a nice aggressive idle. Or are there any other options out there that I could look into?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Never used MMR but L&M has great customer service and I never spoke to a more knowledgeable person. Doesn't mean I speak to a lot of people either. They do custom cams and I would call and tell them your ultimate goal. Most cams that meet your expectations will need springs.

04Marine08

SVT Poster
Established Member
So I see L&M is where it's at...
Anyone with a 11-12 have their cams installed? I can't seem to find any videos on youtube with the newer 10+ GT500's with them.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
These are Crower Stage II blower cams. I'd say they're middle of the pack between the '13-'14 cams and the JDM and L&M custom grinds I've heard. Excellent street manners, but not a real choppy idle. This is with a 5.8 L shortblock, so you can expect a 5.4 to have a little bit choppier idle.

[video]http://s175.photobucket.com/user/pjb3/media/GT500/IMG_0135_zps5b99e400.mp4.html[/video]

Yes, I suck at videos.

04Marine08

SVT Poster
Established Member
Ya, looking for a more aggressive cam than those crowers.

I think my best best is like people were saying, hit up L&M and I think they do have a drop in cam with a rough idle I can install without worrying about buying any new springs or supporting mods.... I'm pretty sure. Just was seeing if anyone in here had them or know more about em.

TylerM35

Established Member
Well, I do like those, but I am really looking for just a drop-in cam where I don't have to worry about replacing springs.

My bad man somehow I totally missed the springs part lol.. whoops.. I've heard nothing but great things about L&M

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck using stock springs. I needed to upgrade springs with the Crowers.

04Marine08

SVT Poster
Established Member
Good luck using stock springs. I needed to upgrade springs with the Crowers.

Are you saying good luck finding cams that can utilize stock springs, or are you saying that using stock springs even in drop-in cams is not really recommended?

BenGT500

I went with MMR blower cams and also had them port my heads; however, it has taken over 60 days and my heads and cams are still not here... I should have the project back on the road by late June if the heads and cams arrive.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
The bottom line is the lopey idle is caused by a more aggressive profile. To take advantage of that profile (more duration, tighter lobe centerline, higher rpm range) stronger springs are required. You can put cams in that say to use stock springs but in the end if your gonna go through the trouble of cams and a retune why not go all the way and put springs in to.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Whats in the budget?

Sound=cost too. Most shops will pull or want to pull the motor to aid to replacement of a cam package kit. Parts/ labor over 4-4500..

If looking for a good sound but not killer, a off the shelf or custom cam(no spring required) can suit your needs in power at half the cost. You can always tighten the lsa and make a small cam sound bigger too and match a desired power-band. Stock springs do very well on a gt500.

Van@RevanRacing

Michael Rauscher at L&M has a idle lope cam that doesn't require spring change and it will add some horsepower as long as you have an aftermarket supercharger. They are not terribly expensive either.

Michael also has over 600 custom cam profiles catalogued just for the GT500.

04Marine08

SVT Poster
Established Member
Whats in the budget?

Sound=cost too. Most shops will pull or want to pull the motor to aid to replacement of a cam package kit. Parts/ labor over 4-4500..

If looking for a good sound but not killer, a off the shelf or custom cam(no spring required) can suit your needs in power at half the cost. You can always tighten the lsa and make a small cam sound bigger too and match a desired power-band. Stock springs do very well on a gt500.

Yes, thank you. That is what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure there were no objections to using stock springs with any drop-in cams.

Michael Rauscher at L&M has a idle lope cam that doesn't require spring change and it will add some horsepower as long as you have an aftermarket supercharger. They are not terribly expensive either.

Hey Van, were those the cams that you were talking about?
And will that work with a '13 TVS on a '12?

04Marine08

SVT Poster
Established Member
Whats in the budget?

Yes, thank you. That is what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure there were no objections to using stock springs with any drop-in cams.

Hey Van, were those the cams that you were talking about?
And will that work with a '13 TVS on a '12?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I have the Crower stage 2's I didnt want anything crazy because I street drive my car alot so I wanted stock like manners. Its got a nice chop to it at idle and car makes really nice power across the rpm range. If I were to go with a bigger blower I would get custom grinds.

Users who are viewing this thread