2010+ Taurus SHO with 100k+ miles reliability? Any regrets from having one?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Also curious how the car has faired after two years @Rubenk. I've been eyeing them but haven't seen any locally that are cheaper than coyote prices.

There was a guy with a 13+ SHO at the track this past Friday running 8.2s in the 1/8th and it seemed stock as a rock while I'm running 8.0s stock on drag radials lol (and 8.6s on street tires)

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Taurus was refreshed in 2013. The 2010-2012 models have an older interior and the SHOs still use the standard grille.

I've been eyeing them also... mid mileage (50k or so) '13s are going for about $18k. I did hear that there were timing chain issues with early 3.5L EB engines and they used a wider sprocket set on the 13+ to correct it.

ssssnake

Established Member
We had a Taurus SHO. I can't remember what year it was, but it was before 2003. I loved it - power everything and sunroof, but when both headlights went out at the same time, my husband sold it. The Ford dealership said it was just a coincidence, but he felt it was an electrical problem.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
The only issue I have had with mine is the fuel pump module, replaced for free at the dealer. Only negative is MPG, in my experience has been pretty poor with 21~ mpg average highway (@78 mph).

I have a LMS 93V8 tune with 3 bar/cai and the car flat out gets it. Feels roughly as fast as my supercharged GT did until 80 or so MPH. Super comfortable as a DD. AWD makes any weather a non issue.

kingsley1390

The only issue I have had with mine is the fuel pump module, replaced for free at the dealer. Only negative is MPG, in my experience has been pretty poor with 21~ mpg average highway (@78 mph).

I have a LMS 93V8 tune with 3 bar/cai and the car flat out gets it. Feels roughly as fast as my supercharged GT did until 80 or so MPH. Super comfortable as a DD. AWD makes any weather a non issue.
Thats great to know. What's the current mileage on the Taurus?

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Thats great to know. What's the current mileage on the Taurus?

Just under 60k. I bought it at 27~.

If you are serious I would plan on adding 1k to the price and getting a tune/3 bar etc. It's an amazing difference, night and day.

Also, to save money down the road try to find a flower power or 10 spoke wheel car. Mine has the 19s and apparently 19s are an oddball tire size and seem more expensive size for size.

Another important thing is deciding if you want a power pack car or one with the drivers aid package. The PP car (13+)has a slightly more aggressive gearset, better brake pads, and additional coolers. There's a bigger difference I believe on the 10-12 cars. I went with the drivers aid package, if you do alot of highway miles the adaptive cruise will make you hate any cruise control you have ever used in the past.

10-12 cars have the older 3.5, the 13+ have the upgraded version with oil shelf to help out the valve fouling issue. You also want to change the PTU fluid asap after purchase, regardless of what Ford says about it.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
We had a Taurus SHO. I can't remember what year it was, but it was before 2003. I loved it - power everything and sunroof, but when both headlights went out at the same time, my husband sold it. The Ford dealership said it was just a coincidence, but he felt it was an electrical problem.

The 99 and older SHO is not comparable to the current version.

kingsley1390

Does anyone have a 10+ SHO with over 150k miles? Have one as a daily driver? Would really like one, but all in my price range have nearly or just over 100k miles.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Also look into the Lincoln MKS as it has a few more features you can't get on the SHO. I bought mine with 44K and a year later it's about to hit 70K by the end of this week. No issues yet and I do WOT blasts daily. Running a 3-bar, 170 degree thermostat and LMS Stage 4+X 93 race tune. The ONLY thing I hate about it is the trunk opening is small. Otherwise, it's a great hwy cruiser that can put the hurt on a lot of cars from a dig, especially when tuned.

kingsley1390

Also look into the Lincoln MKS as it has a few more features you can't get on the SHO. I bought mine with 44K and a year later it's about to hit 70K by the end of this week. No issues yet and I do WOT blasts daily. Running a 3-bar, 170 degree thermostat and LMS Stage 4+X 93 race tune. The ONLY thing I hate about it is the trunk opening is small. Otherwise, it's a great hwy cruiser that can put the hurt on a lot of cars from a dig, especially when tuned.
Yeah, this is also on my radar as well. There's one near me for 14k that has 90k miles. Considering everything, it fits my budget pretty well. Just the uncertainty of these cars because I can't find solid customer reviews. Thanks!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Yeah, this is also on my radar as well. There's one near me for 14k that has 90k miles. Considering everything, it fits my budget pretty well. Just the uncertainty of these cars because I can't find solid customer reviews. Thanks!

If it's been serviced regularly and the PTU fluid has been changed out, they are pretty solid cars from what I've found. I have no doubt mine will last well into 150K miles. Only thing I see coming up will be wheel bearing changes outside of regular maintenance work.

flip_86

Established Member
I have a 10' with just over 100k miles on it. Cai and 3 bar tune, I love it, pulls hard. It's a comfortable ride, has all the options I would want, no complaints, no issues.

Famine

Established Member
Still love our 2013 pp sho, but we only have 28000 miles right now. There have been a couple dealer trips though. Issue with spark plug seals due to faulty pcv system at like 18k miles, crappy door trim where you punch the code in for entry, and a sync issue. Other than that though, shes a beast with an unleashed tune, dropin, 3bar, plugs, muffler delete, and catch can.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
With the MKS just be prepared to spend more on parts. Like it should have swivel headlights, I imagine you have to replace the whole unit when those go bad.

Just do your research on the platform to see if any common issues, like a wheel bearing for example. Check common TSBs and if any recalls are out and have them done.

I can tell you earlier model FWD based 3.5's had PTU failures on the AWD cars.

Buying high mileage I would try to get report on servicing from Ford. I would replace all fluids in everything, plugs, pull turbo piping and intercooler and clean, clean all sensors in intake with MAF cleaner, check brakes and shocks for replacement etc. If it has cooled seats, those have filters under the seat typically that need changed.

I can also tell you the FWD based 3.5s have the water pump in the motor, the f150 does not.

Ford rates life of everything 10yr/150 in manuals it looks like, factory fill transfluid = 150k. No serviceable fuel filter, it is a sock on pump 150k....that would probably need looked at.

Dave M

Established Member
I have a 2010 MKT 3.5EB with 50k on it, and other than having the PTU replaced under warranty, it's been solid. The 2010-2012's have shit brakes though, but you can upgrade to the 13+ stuff pretty cheap, and also the fuel mileage isn't all that great, but I do beat mine like it owes me money every time I drive it. Mine also has the infamous cold start rattle from the timing chain tensioners, and Ford doesn't seem interested in a TSB for that, unless you drive an F150, and in that case they are more than happy to upgrade the tensioners... Like others have mentioned, if the water pump o-ring fails, it'll fill your oil pan with coolant faster than you could possibly imagine, so make sure that 100k motor has a documented coolant flush.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Had a 2010, between 50k and 60k it had the following done

Spark plugs and software update due to misfire
brake booster and master cyl due to honking noise
key fobs replaced, kept getting key has left the vehicle message
PTU replaced
Trans range sensor replaced due to car defaulting to neutral on hard acceleration
Adaptive cruise was never fixed, would shut off on long drives if it didnt see any other cars for a while

car averaged 12mpg city and would do 22 highway

Even with all that i liked the car alot! very comfy and could cruise at 95-105mph all day long.

Only gripe about the car was the room in the back seat, we got rid of it cause the back seat was just too tight for our family.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey sorry for the delayed response, I dont get on here much anymore.

Just hit 123456 miles today and not a single issue! I serviced the PTU once right after I bought it, and have been doing 5k oil changes. First few with Mobil 1, and the last 2 with Lubrication Engineers. The struts are clunky and need replaced but thats just maintenance. Brakes are still iffy, but as soon as they're totally gone I'm going with full 2013+ HD/PP/PI brakes using all OEM parts. Its a bolt on deal if you grab everything.

Otherwise I love the car! Their value has absolutely tanked, so I dont see myself ever getting rid of it. Probably only worth 7-8k right now. I have gotten a best of 28mpg on the highway being very nice, and I average 20-21 with easy city driving and occasional stab. It can get down to 16-18 with heavy driving though.

Users who are viewing this thread