2010+ Taurus SHO Owners Chime In: General Q's

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
*I am posting this here as the SHO sub-forum is dead*

How many of you on here have a 2010+ Taurus SHO? I might be landing a new job, which means a new daily is going to need to happen as I don't wanna drive the car 100 miles a day, especially if we get snow. I found prices on some local cars and was very pleased at what they are at right now. However, most are 75k mile and up.

Those of you with these cars, preferably higher miles, what issues if any have you had?

What should I look out for?

Anything that needs to be upgraded or replaced on a car with the miles that high?

I just found the price being very reasonable for a car with heated/cooled front seats, heated rears, nav, leather, AWD, turbo, etc... Seems like an AWESOME platform for a daily to get me to and from work. I also don't mind the look of them at all. Plus, the sound from vented BOV's with these cars is just funny haha.

Thanks! :beer:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Love my 2014. Got it for 24k with 25k miles on it. Just a tune on these things really wake them up. For the most part the motor is ultra reliable. Tranny seems to be a weaker link to them. If they have info on the tranny fluid being changed its a plus. Also look at the Lincoln mks. Same car, only lincolns version. And the same price for the most part. There are some great forums on them too. Just Google sho forums and you'll find em the economist forum is a really good one. Happy hunting!

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Only downside is mpg, expect 20-21 in states with e10. Change the ptu fluid every 25k or so regardless of what Ford says. Get a tune asap.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I know Rubenk got one a few months ago with 100K+ miles on it and seems very happy with it. I'm in the hunt too and hope to pick one up very soon.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I'd throw a tune on it as well, but the 5.0 would be taking the main source of mod money haha.

I figured they'd be at least mid 20's in MPG. I'd be driving pretty well all interstate with the car.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I wouldn't count on mid 20s tbh. Mine is a non pp car and consistently gets 21 mpg with 80/20 highway/city.

It's a great car. Handles good, comfy, fast, and well put together

Dynobrat

Established Member
I just bought a white, 2011 non PP with 59,000 miles (95,000 km)

I traded in a 09 Town car that I only had a month haha and got this car. I drove a 5 hour trip on the highway and got 9L/100km average driving 70mph, which I think translates to 26mpg. It isn't as good on fuel as it should be, but it's still decent. I drove an old V8 Cadillac with twice the mileage and got about the same or even better fuel economy.

As for the Taurus, the issues I have read about are the chrome peeling on the taillights, which you can replace with 2012 onward, or plasti-dip.

Also, on my car, the bottom seat cushion is cracked all to dogshit in one straight line across (on the left side where the buttons are) from getting in and out of the vehicle. cost for the lower seat cushion in Canada is about $ 500.00.

Also, the rear sunshade is known for breaking. You can and should be able to repair that yourself.

Also, my suggestion to anyone would be to remove the intake, clean the valves, reinstall intake and add a catch can. The factory PCV setup is an epic fail with direct injection. Run premium fuel and Amsoil signature series. And of course, routinely change the PTU fluid. Also several posts about stuck open injectors causing problems. (so the take away there is if you are ever driving and your check engine light comes on or your have issues outside of normal running conditions, shut it off and have it towed, or risk severe damage, unlike standard engines where the check engine light appears and you don't worry too much haha)

Also I have seen several posts with respect to their turbo inlet pipe breaking at the bend as well, either from heat or stress or both. It's a car you want to routinely inspect for leaks, no matter how slight.

I like the car, I just picked mine up saturday at a great price. These cars are a real bargain used. I don't care about making BOV noise. Only wannabe racecar drivers who like to show off they have a "turbo" get off on that shit. (no offense) I'm looking for the black wheels with machined face now. I like those wheels a lot.

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I had a 13 SHO. It ran a 12.96 @ 103 mph with an Unleashed Tune. I then did the second cat delete and 3bar map. Ran strong, but really felt the torque steer after those final mods and retuned. Never ran it again. Figured it would be 12.7 car.

Users who are viewing this thread